• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chances of upgrade after a serious accident at disney??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey family

Mouseketeer
During our last trip in May of 2009, my son suffered a serious injury while on Disney property. We are thinking about another trip this year and a friend brought up the possibility of an upgrade. Do you think disney keeps records of anything like that so when you call to make your reservation is shows up? I am not counting on anything, but it sure would be a nice sprinkling of pixie dust.

They do keep accident and incident reports on file. I cannot imagine CRO would have access to them. I am not quite sure as to why an injury on Disney property would warant any type of upgrade. Logic would dictate it could not have been too bad or you would not be going back. (not being judgemental just strictly looking at it from a business point of view.)

I think an upgrade in direct response to your reporting a past injury would be like an admission of fault, so I doubt it would happen. Pixie dust happens though for unknown reasons, but I'd not bring up something like that in the hopes of an upgrade as it might just backfire on you.---Kathy

My son was bitten by a venomous snake on our last visit. He really wants to go back since he was not able to really enjoy our last trip.

1) I seriously doubt an upgrade.
2) As mentioned, CRO doesn't keep those kind of records.
3) Besides, a snake bite is not a Disney-caused problem.
4) It is far beyond their control, like bug bites.

sorry to hear about your son's accident, but what you are looking for does not involve pixie dust!!

Heck, in 1989, my then 5 year old son caught food poisoning. We returned in 1998 and the idea of an "upgrade" or anything else never crossed our minds even though he obviously caught it on property since it was our last day and we hadn't eaten anywher else. Things happen. What was the "accident" and was it due to something he did that he shouldn't have or was it negligence or what? I would think if WDW was at fault in some way that compensation or something was already taken care of. If it was due to something he did or just sheer bad luck, why would you think they need to give you anything?

ETA, just read it was a snake bite. Totally out of WDW control. Poisonous snakes live in FL and just about every other state so not sure why there should be anything due you.

That does stink, but a snake bite is indeed in the insect bite category, like a pp said, and couldn't really be prevented. It's Florida after all.

Not likely. I was injured at our resort two trips ago. I fell because of a pool of water in the food court and the CM even admitted that the drink cooler had been leaking for a long time and they had not fixed it. They made me get checked by paramedics but that was it. I was so sore the next day that we had to miss an entire day at the parks because I was in bed and they wouldn't even extend our passes one day to make up for it. Disney is normally above and beyond, absolutely amazing, but I was disappointed by that.

During our last trip in May of 2009, my son suffered a serious injury while on Disney property. We are thinking about another trip this year and a friend brought up the possibility of an upgrade. Do you think disney keeps records of anything like that so when you call to make your reservation is shows up? I am not counting on anything, but it sure would be a nice sprinkling of pixie dust.

You received an upgrade during your last trip and now want one on this trip, too?

We bought the snake ourselves and asked the waiter to bring it out. They did upgrade us to AKL for the remainder of our stay. Disney arranged a couple of private character meetings and he was in one of the Star Wars parades. It quickly became a very low key visit. One of the side effects was that he was very tired, all the time. We could only do the parks for a few hours and then he would completely give out. He actually stayed that way for about 2 months, sleeping about 14 hours a night and taking naps in the day. There was a lot we were not able to do, so we hope to go back in a couple of years. He still has stiffness in his fingers and had a really bad nightmare just last night about snakes. He is a real trooper. When I think of how it could have turned out, we are very blessed indeed. Again thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=37714412#post37714412

I was only asking because someone mentioned it to me due to the life threatening nature of his injury. I do not expect anything further from Disney. I did not mean to offend anyone, sorry

I remember reading your post about the snake bite. Still makes me cringe! I think that is awesome that your son wants to go back.....he definitely deserves to go back and have an awesome trip!!! (Snake-free this time)

I suppose you could casually mention to the agent when you are booking about what happen last time and maybe they would do something just out of the kindness of their heart. It doesn't hurt to try I suppose.

You know how they give pins to the kids for their birthdays or first trips, well he needs one that says, "Survived a snake bite at WDW." He could wear it proudly ;)

Hope your next trip is amazing!!

I was only asking because someone mentioned it to me due to the life threatening nature of his injury. I do not expect anything further from Disney. I did not mean to offend anyone, sorry

Mickey Family, I remember your thread about the snake bite and I wanted to wish you much pixie dust on your upcoming trip!

WOW, I also remember reading your post about your son. I am so glad he wants to go back and your willing to take him. Hope you get a great upgrade. Have you thought about booking a room at AKL, one that is kind of self contained, no grounds to really walk around on, and mentioning this fact when you book. You could also mention this fact in a fax to the room assigner. Just thinking outloud here and I know we all want a free upgrade but you deserve it.

Not likely. I was injured at our resort two trips ago. I fell because of a pool of water in the food court and the CM even admitted that the drink cooler had been leaking for a long time and they had not fixed it. They made me get checked by paramedics but that was it. I was so sore the next day that we had to miss an entire day at the parks because I was in bed and they wouldn't even extend our passes one day to make up for it. Disney is normally above and beyond, absolutely amazing, but I was disappointed by that.
That's amazing. Not wanting to turn this into a legal thread, but this is classic slip & fall where the business owner is responsible. Maybe because you were 'just' in pain and not actually injured?

I can't imagine at all that they would do something on a future trip. I would also be surprised if they did nothing on the trip when the accident occurred. Disney seems to go above and beyond when something goes wrong on a trip, so I would image if your son was bitten and seriously injured they probably did something nice for him. My DD lost one of her new Tink earrings in the pool at Typhoon Lagoon and when I went back to the shop to buy a new pair, the very nice CM gave her a new earring for free :) I would think there would be a kind gesture at the time, but not 2 years later when booking another trip. I hope you all are able to enjoy your next trip and everyone stays safe and healthy :thumbsup2

If you check post 10 where somebody quotes the OP's original report, you'll see Walt Disney World did a lot for the injured boy on that trip.

OP i am glad your son is all well and you guys are looking at a return trip... as for an upgrade because of an injury --- I don't see how this is anything that's Disney's fault. he wasn't injured due to tripping over tools left about, a design flaw on a ride, etc etc.... this was an act of nature. I seriously don't see any sort of owed upgrade given.

OP I hope you and your son have a great trip this time round without any unforeseen events to spoil it for you all yet again. Wishing some pixie dust on you :)

If they took care of you during the first trip I don't think they are responsible for doing any more. A family I know was just the the BC and their daughter had her two front permanent teeth knocked out on the pool slide. Disney took care of them, got them medical treatment, and then credited them for the resort costs for the entire trip. Disney takes care of things right away so I wouldn't expect any thing for future trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter