Chance to go to Disneyland...terrified of flying

The Duchess

DIS Veteran
My husband has a conference scheduled in Anaheim next month. We would stay at a Disneyland Resort (is there more than one resort?) The park is opening at night for the conference attendees and guests. Sounds great?
I am terrified of flying and terrified to put DS (6) on a plane. I just keep visualizing the plane plummeting out of the sky or a hijacker murdering my child....I'm already having cold sweats and heart palpitations. I haven't flown since 1997.
Would you go?

I hear you!:(

We went to WDW 7/31 to 8/8, and it was my first flight EVER! I was petrified.... I have to say it wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be, unnerving still.

I can give you some advice as far as your 6yo is concerned anyway. My 5yo DS was crying hysterically when we boarded the plane, even though we had prepared him for months in every way we could. We flew Delta Song, and as soon as the attendant saw him crying, she took him and my DH up to the cockpit to visit with the pilot. He was just thrilled! He was up there about 10 minutes, and the pilot showed him EVERYTHING. He let him touch the instruments, and explained all the gadgets. He came back with the biggest smile on his face, and was much better the whole trip, and on the return flight, he walked right on and asked if he could go up and see the pilot again, and again was greeted with smiling faces, and taken up front.

I would go in a heart beat. But I am not afraid to fly.

IMO you can not live your life in fear. You could crush head first into a big rig on your way to the market. Your son could be kidnapped and killed right from your front yard. But the likelihood of either of these is not that great. Just like the likelihood of your plane crashing or a hijacker killing your son is not likely.

As for the "resorts" of Disneyland. Yes there are three hotles/resorts but everything at the DIsneyland Resort is right next to each other. You can walk between the parks, DTD, the Hotels (its the only way to get there :) ) Depending on your budget you might consider one of the hotels accross harbor blvd which are just as close if not closer then the Disneyland Resort hotels. The http://www.carouselinnandsuites.com/ has very good rates and is directly accross the street.

I get nervous sometimes flying, but it really IS safer than driving. I get more nervous on the interstate drive down to WDW. Scary stuff on the highways and we always see accidents.

Don't let your fears cause you to miss this opportunity. Even if you're miserable on the flight, that's a pretty short period of time to be unhappy. Once you get there, it will all be worth it. The next time will be easier, and the next easier still. Just don't pass your fears onto your child.

Knowing everything that will happen ahead of time may help. If you husband travels often, have him go through all the steps with you and your son. Be able to picture the check-in, the take off, the landing, etc. (Tell him to leave out all the negative stuff about weather delays or cancelled flights. You want to think happy thoughts.) One thing that always got me when I was a new flyer was the sound of the landing gear retracting after takeoff. Get your husband to go through all of this with you.

You'll be fine.

Sheila

Thanks to everyone for all the support and advice!

I'm still considering...especially since DH will be at a conference for three of the 5 days and I don't know much about Disneyland...
and since we are going to WDW a few weeks later...
DS will miss 3 weeks of kindergarten! Will probably need to have a budget since we splurged on WDW...hate budgeting vacations...but shouldn't pass up the opportunity I guess...I did say that when I became a SaHM we would try to travel more...
UGH! I hate decision making.

I guess that's why I never went into management! :rolleyes:

I think that you should talk to your primary care provider about your concerns re: flying. Ask he/she for something for your anxiety. Don't skip the chance to go to DL. You will have a blast.

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter