Chaccohoben Costa Maya excursion thru Native Choice

Stasia5

Mouseketeer
My family of 5 is hoping to do this excursion on our cruise next month. The cost thru Disney is $150 more than Native Choice. I'd really like to book directly with Native Choice, but the tour is 4 to 4.5 hours. We are only in port for 4.5 hours. I'm nervous about getting back to port on time. Has anyone else done this tour thru Native Choice? Any problems with getting back on time? I'm willing to book thru Disney just for peace of mind, but would like to know if I'm worrying over nothing first. Thanks!

:confused3 we only do DCL excursions for just that reason... like they say “bring your camera to port, if you aren’t back in time you can get a great shot of the ship....leaving without you!” aaiiiieeeeeee :lmao:

obviously lots of people do it... just a matter of your “risk tolerance” as it were..:goodvibes

If you look on trip advisor, last time I looked anyway, there were really good reviews. If you read far enough, you will see reviews from DCL passengers. I am really thinking about it for our cruise!

We are going on this excursion in 2 weeks. Ivan, the owner, says will be no problem!

We were just on the Fantasy last week and had booked this excursion through DCL. I did not want to run the risk of anything happening given the tight time frame. Unfortunately, there was a medical emergency on board and our itinerary was changed. Never got to Costa Maya, so our $ was refunded. Not sure about other companies and their refund policies, should something like this happen to you. Good thing to check!

We were just on the Fantasy last week and had booked this excursion through DCL. I did not want to run the risk of anything happening given the tight time frame. Unfortunately, there was a medical emergency on board and our itinerary was changed. Never got to Costa Maya, so our $ was refunded. Not sure about other companies and their refund policies, should something like this happen to you. Good thing to check!

If you don't visit a port you're money is refunded with Native Choice.

The Native Choice was fantastic. We had no trouble getting back to the boat on time. On the return, although they can't drive into the port area itself they will pull the van right up to gate of the port so you will be closer to getting back to the boat.

One slight word of warning...in November 2012, there was quite a bit of construction on the road leading out of Chacchoben...so much so that several returning vehicles (including the Disney tour bus) were late getting back to the ship. We actually left the site with The Native Choice before the Disney bus did and made it back with easily 20 minutes to spare before the 'official' all aboard time...and over an hour before the last returning passengers actually embarked.

Costa Maya port is very small...when you get off you just walk past all the shops and you will reach an area with a bunch of tour buses parked. Head toward the left in the bus parking area and you will see the 'gate' referenced in the Native Choice directions. Once you see the gate, you can see the blue tower of their center from there.

First, thanks to those who posted. After talking with DH, we're going to pay the extra money and book thru Disney. I have heard great things about Native Choice and really wanted to book thru them, but the worry wart in me just can't do it. If we had more time in port, it would be different. I just don't think I could enjoy the tour while constantly worrying that we'd miss the ship. Reasons why I spend the extra and fly in the day before the cruise too. :)

We went on this excursion through Disney in October. We pulled up on the bus to the pier right at the designated sail time. I said while we were on it that I was grateful we went that route. We were stopped both ways while driving by guards. Each time for 5 or so minutes. It's random who is stopped. You just never know what could happen. In this case, I think it's worth it for peace of mind to book through Disney due to the length of the excursion and such a short port time.

Stasia5 said:
First, thanks to those who posted. After talking with DH, we're going to pay the extra money and book thru Disney. I have heard great things about Native Choice and really wanted to book thru them, but the worry wart in me just can't do it. If we had more time in port, it would be different. I just don't think I could enjoy the tour while constantly worrying that we'd miss the ship. Reasons why I spend the extra and fly in the day before the cruise too. :)

Because of the short time we're in port, we're going with DCL on this excursion too. It is more costly but it gives me peace of mind. See you on the excursion!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Personally, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to insure the boat will not leave without me. Compared the price I'm paying to cruise, it is just like buying insurance. Worth it in my opinion.

The thing I love about a private tour is the personal attention. I have done tours where the cruise excursion has 100 people and the private tour has had 8-12 people with 2 guides.
Am I taking a chance? I suppose. If one of these companies misses one departure they are all done!

At Costa Maya, I'd go the DCL route. We did the ruins tour at Costa Maya and it basically took the entire port time. We had about 5 minutes after the tour bus returned to the port to look around before we had to run back to the ship. There's not much close by at Costa Maya, so getting a flight/ferry to the next port might be a challenge. Go with DCL at that port to make sure the ship waits for you.

We are going on this excursion in 2 weeks. Ivan, the owner, says will be no problem!

Are you cruising the 16th on the Fantasy? We are & are signed up with Native Choice. I would like to be back sooner than later. And definitely don't want to miss the boat. ha ha. Are we in small groups (like would our family of 5 be its own group?) or in van sized groups?

Are you cruising the 16th on the Fantasy? We are & are signed up with Native Choice. I would like to be back sooner than later. And definitely don't want to miss the boat. ha ha. Are we in small groups (like would our family of 5 be its own group?) or in van sized groups?

Yes we are with you on the fantasy!
I have talked to a few people on the boards. There were between 8-12 people in mini tour type vans with a driver and guide.
All said they were at the ruins before DCL and before it got crowded. Got back to port before DCL with plenty of time to spare! Hope so! Haha!
You never know we could be together. It is just DW and me.

If I recall correctly, the drive to the site is 45 min - 1 hr
You never know what may happen - the bus may break down, etc...
I would rather pay more and get an excursion through the cruise line.
Better to pay more for the piece of mind rather than worry about possibly being late and getting left behind.

I went with the Native Choice in 2005 on a Royal Caribbean cruise and had a wonderful time. I went on DCL's tour in December because of the short port time. However, DCL extended our time in port until 1 a.m. at the last minute. Had I known that, I would've gone with the Native Choice.

I have been on ship excursions that returned to port late, but I've never returned late on a private tour. It seems to me that private tour operators are more careful about the time, because they would soon be out of business if they made a habit of returning people after the ship had sailed.

Yes we are with you on the fantasy!
I have talked to a few people on the boards. There were between 8-12 people in mini tour type vans with a driver and guide.
All said they were at the ruins before DCL and before it got crowded. Got back to port before DCL with plenty of time to spare! Hope so! Haha!
You never know we could be together. It is just DW and me.

Well, cool! I am planning to get off right away asap, and since it's not a tender port, it shouldn't be much of a problem. The last time we were there was October of '06, not sure if that is pre or post big hurricane, but from what I remember, it should be an easy walk to the tour office--going by the map, anyway.

If I recall correctly, the drive to the site is 45 min - 1 hr
You never know what may happen - the bus may break down, etc...
I would rather pay more and get an excursion through the cruise line.
Better to pay more for the piece of mind rather than worry about possibly being late and getting left behind.

That is my feeling, something could happen and it could be the first time they have an issue, but my cruise was way to expensive to skimp on an excursion that could cost me to miss the boat.

I went with the Native Choice in 2005 on a Royal Caribbean cruise and had a wonderful time. I went on DCL's tour in December because of the short port time. However, DCL extended our time in port until 1 a.m. at the last minute. Had I known that, I would've gone with the Native Choice.

I have been on ship excursions that returned to port late, but I've never returned late on a private tour. It seems to me that private tour operators are more careful about the time, because they would soon be out of business if they made a habit of returning people after the ship had sailed.

I'm sure they are careful and almost never late, but what about the "almost" part. Its long drive and you could break down or have an accident, even if it isn't the fault of the tour provider, DCL may not wait for you.

We went thru Native Choice back in September and have nothing but great things to say about them... I was concerned about the time constraints but I have to say they were great and we got back in plenty of time.... I would not hesitate on referring them to anyone... Enjoy your time.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter