Central Texas is burning

Just unbelievable... it really looks like a snapshot from hell. This is a shot of the Bastrop fire: Even harder to imagine is that this is a tiny part of it. :(

bastrop.jpg

And this video, shot yesterday in Bastrop State Park, shows how incredibly fast wildfires can spread when the wind is blowing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhJeDYQVtdQ&list=FL0komFllynJVOu3E0fk20IA&index=1&feature=plpp

Ouch! Gina, that video is amazing.

It's blurry but hell has come to east Texas too. This is insane.
5551.jpg

A headline that I just found:

There's apparently a massive fire in that area too. Jefferson is a wonderful old town. :(

NO!!!!!! NOT JEFFERSON! It is such a special town, with so much history. We've spent a few anniversaries there, once in the Diamond Bessie suite in The Excelsior House. That town depends heavily on tourism, so I hope the fire passes it by.

ETA: Is it true that the whole town of Jefferson was told to evacuate?

NO!!!!!! NOT JEFFERSON! It is such a special town, with so much history. We've spent a few anniversaries there, once in the Diamond Bessie suite in The Excelsior House. That town depends heavily on tourism, so I hope the fire passes it by.

ETA: Is it true that the whole town of Jefferson was told to evacuate?
It sounds like it was really just a part of Jefferson that was evacuated. They still have shelters open in the town.

This morning the fire is still to the north of Jefferson and they are fighting to keep it there. Only time will tell if it works. :(

I just got an automated call from the county (I'm north of Waco) that we have lots of smoke in the area from the south 'n the 911 system is overloaded with calls. They've asked that folks don't call 911 unless flames are visible.

I just got an automated call from the county (I'm north of Waco) that we have lots of smoke in the area from the south 'n the 911 system is overloaded with calls. They've asked that folks don't call 911 unless flames are visible.

Looks okay here in Killeen so far. I didn't smell any smoke this morning. I know there are a few still smoldering on post in the ranges and such, but for now all is calm here.

I hope everyone is safe! Thinking of you guys!

Looks okay here in Killeen so far. I didn't smell any smoke this morning. I know there are a few still smoldering on post in the ranges and such, but for now all is calm here.

I hope everyone is safe! Thinking of you guys!

Glad to hear you're ok in Killeen. Did you hear the latest on Leander...... arson. Stupid, jerky teenagers. It makes me so angry.

Glad to hear you're ok in Killeen. Did you hear the latest on Leander...... arson. Stupid, jerky teenagers. It makes me so angry.

:eek:WHAT?

That makes me so angry.

I'm sure most of the fires around here are from cigarettes being thrown out the windows and from post still using the live fire ranges.

If they catch them, I'd hope for SERIOUS prison time.

We can see the smoke from my front yard. The latest fires are 15 minutes from here. Packing our go bags...

http://www.statesman.com/

Good luck - and stay safe..

I am very, very concerned about these fires as I have a dear, dear friend of 39 years who lives in Austin and is currently undergoing intensive chemotherapy as a last ditch effort to buy her a little additional time with terminal brain cancer.. I've made attempts to contact her, but so far, no luck.. I'm hoping that they're keeping her right there in the hospital due to the smoke and other dangers..

My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you..
:hug:

I'm in DFW area and we're getting smoke scattered throughout the air, setting off asthma and allergies, but so far no fires... I've gotten calls all day at my library asking if someone's burning something or something's on fire... We're getting these daily to help give patrons accurate information:
rawsd.png

rawsfcst.png

I'm in DFW area and we're getting smoke scattered throughout the air, setting off asthma and allergies, but so far no fires... I've gotten calls all day at my library asking if someone's burning something or something's on fire... We're getting these daily to help give patrons accurate information:
rawsd.png

rawsfcst.png

That is not good.. Looks like the "moderate" danger of fire is spreading toward my oldest DD's house - from both sides..:(

The weather this year has just been too much - everywhere.. :sad2:

Notice that it's spreading from high to moderate danger though. This is likely due to the cooler weather and lower winds. It's supposed to get hot again next week though and still no rain...

We have a 40% chance of rain on Saturday. Just about an inch, but better than nothing. Please pray for us and do a little rain dance!

Maybe TX will get lucky and get some good rain from Tropical Storm Nate. Hopefully it will swerve north and get us the much needed rain and help contain and stop those wildfires.

I live just west of Houston and at DD's soccer practice tonight we saw a skyful of smoke, which the other moms were telling me was from the fires in Magnolia. I'm from MI and not used to this kind of threat at all, so I was really freaking out when they said that. Good luck to all who are in danger and I hope you stay safe.

BTW, at DD's soccer practice one of the dads was chain smoking. I was so irritated, why would he do that in these conditions?

We are west of Houston too and the smoke yesterday afternoon was horrible. If it is this bad here, I can't imagine what it must be like for those who are closer. :sad2:

So very sad and scary . . .

Woke up this morning, and the first thing I said was, "Did someone burn a bagel in the toaster?"

Nope. I can smell smoke INSIDE the house. Oh goody. If the fire doesn't get me, my asthma will. :headache:

Friends in Price, Tx are in a panic right now , add them to your thoughts please !! Sprinklers on house now , fire has plow lines and wind is blowing towards their house. Helicopters , with water bombs have showed up.

Austin Tink are you ok ? How is everyone else ?

I am praying Nick will head your way.

I don't see any rain in the forecast for anywhere in Texas. At least it's cooler but it's so dry!

Austin has been safe so far. Most of this has been to the east and south of the city and moving away. At least that's the last I heard. :sad2:

Not sure where they are, but got in touch with my daughter yesterday...her best friend lost her home. My DD is about 11 miles from the fires.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter