Central Europe: Austria, Germany & Czech Rep. Meets Thread

They've asked that we arrive at the hotel no later than 3pm (also when check-in starts) but we don't have a time on dinner yet. My DH and I are going 2.5 days early and staying at an awesome, well recommended family run hotel in the Little Quarter (I always prefer to stay locally instead of at a "big-box" hotel.) It's close enough that we can just pull our suitcases to the Prague Marriott.

Hmm, we had originally planned to keep our pre-day pretty casual and try to hit a few sights on our own. Now I am thinking that we might need to book a privater tour. There are a few things within the castle complex that I would like to go in and I read last night about a museum of communism that sounded interesting for the kids.

Does anyone know or have a guess as to what time we would need to check in with our guides on that first day and what time the dinner is?

Thanks

Hilary

Hmm, we had originally planned to keep our pre-day pretty casual and try to hit a few sights on our own. Now I am thinking that we might need to book a privater tour. There are a few things within the castle complex that I would like to go in and I read last night about a museum of communism that sounded interesting for the kids. Does anyone know or have a guess as to what time we would need to check in with our guides on that first day and what time the dinner is? Thanks Hilary

The guides are usually at a designated table in the hotel lobby late morning and afternoon. If you arrive the day the ABD begins, they will be there to greet you. Dinner is usually about 6-ish.

They've asked that we arrive at the hotel no later than 3pm (also when check-in starts) but we don't have a time on dinner yet. My DH and I are going 2.5 days early and staying at an awesome, well recommended family run hotel in the Little Quarter (I always prefer to stay locally instead of at a "big-box" hotel.) It's close enough that we can just pull our suitcases to the Prague Marriott.

Just a note....we also stayed in a small local hotel and it was lovely BUT it was not air conditioned......and Prague gets pretty hot in the summer.....we dragged our luggage to the Marriot ( across cobblestone streets) and enjoyed the cold air conditioning. The person in the local hotel was very nice and said "I would join you if I could"....:rotfl2:...I now check to see what's available especially in the AC department.

Just a note....we also stayed in a small local hotel and it was lovely BUT it was not air conditioned......and Prague gets pretty hot in the summer.....we dragged our luggage to the Marriot ( across cobblestone streets) and enjoyed the cold air conditioning. The person in the local hotel was very nice and said "I would join you if I could"....:rotfl2:...I now check to see what's available especially in the AC department.

Remember though, Carpenta, many European hotels don't always have air conditioning. :-). Two of the four on the Germany ABD didn't have it. And it was hot last July!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Remember though, Carpenta, many European hotels don't always have air conditioning. :-). Two of the four on the Germany ABD didn't have it. And it was hot last July!

Yes that is correct......and when we were in Prague our hotel was in a row house type building with little windows and no air circulation. It steamed up pretty quickly and once those mason buildings get hot it takes time to cool down. We just returned from Italy and stayed in the Westin's chain hotels in Rome, Florence and Venice and they had good AC. We are doing the Germany trip with ABD the end of June and I pray it doesn't get too hot. We don't mind -30 below but 80+ .......:scared1:.......we're not use to that.....

Yes that is correct......and when we were in Prague our hotel was in a row house type building with little windows and no air circulation. It steamed up pretty quickly and once those mason buildings get hot it takes time to cool down. We just returned from Italy and stayed in the Westin's chain hotels in Rome, Florence and Venice and they had good AC. We are doing the Germany trip with ABD the end of June and I pray it doesn't get too hot. We don't mind -30 below but 80+ .......:scared1:.......we're not use to that.....

No circulation would kill me!!!
Don't worry about Germany. Waldeck and Rothenberg had fans. ABD purchased them specifically for their guests. It was warmer than usual last year and we were ok. :-) you'll love the trip!!

No circulation would kill me!!!
Don't worry about Germany. Waldeck and Rothenberg had fans. ABD purchased them specifically for their guests. It was warmer than usual last year and we were ok. :-) you'll love the trip!!

Thank you for the good wishes. Looking forward to the trip as you have experienced.:)

Looks like I'm definitely doing a couple of pre-days in Prague! Thanks, PixiePrincess310!

Please be sure and let us know how the local hotel is! I much prefer to stay at local hotels if I can. But A/C is pretty much a requirement!

Sayhello

Thank you for the info. Looks like we can plan something for the morning and early afternoon.

I hear you on the local hotels, but I am a hotel wimp. 3 weeks in the finest local hotel in a far eastern siberian town scarred me for life.

Hilary

The url for the family run hotel we are staying in is www.bigboot.cz. Be sure to read their references. They are noted as one of the top 10 hotels in Prague. I originally found them on Trip Advisor but was pleased to see that they are also recommended in Rick Steves' book. Their site doesn't say that they have AC but in looking at the photos, I can see something that looks
like an AC register under a window. I am not too concerned about having AC in June. We're from Florida, so I'll be freezing during the entire trip! Ha.
They are in a small square just opposite the Lobkowitz Palace (German Embassy.)

Here are two quotes about he property:

"Charlotte and Jan Rippl have been running House at the Big Boot for over a decade and have developed a solid reputation as a friendly, comfortable establishment just a stone's throw from Charles Bridge in the Lesser Quarter (Mala Strana). The house was built by Santini de Bossi in around 1669 but has been carefully restored, retaining some of the flair of the 17th-century through the furnishings, decorations and the rabbit-warren style hallways and annexes."

"The House at the Big Boot is a discreet b&b (no sign indicates it takes paying guests) hidden away deep in the Mala Strana district - if you want to avoid the stag parties that can plague Prague at weekends, it's the perfect hideaway. The 17th Century house is very much the family home of the engaging owners, the Rippls. A spiral stone staircase leads to individual bedrooms decorated with antiques, modern art and Persian rugs. Good breakfasts are served communally."

That's hysterical! I am sorry to hear that you had such an "interesting stay."

Thank you for the info. Looks like we can plan something for the morning and early afternoon.

I hear you on the local hotels, but I am a hotel wimp. 3 weeks in the finest local hotel in a far eastern siberian town scarred me for life.

Hilary

Yea those "stag parties" are seen around town. Usually you see large numbers of men riding this multiple seated bike concoction all sucking on a keg situated in the middle. I was told guys come from all over Europe to have these parties.

Yea those "stag parties" are seen around town. Usually you see large numbers of men riding this multiple seated bike concoction all sucking on a keg situated in the middle. I was told guys come from all over Europe to have these parties.

Cool! That's a tourist attraction by itself!! Lol

Cool! That's a tourist attraction by itself!! Lol

Saw a bachelorette party in Munich. Very similar! Michael, the local guide, asked me if those parties are "as wild and drunken in the US?" Lol

I'm going to pipe in here not as a ABDer but as a local in Vienna, Austria (with a lot of weekend trips to Prague in the mix).
Just wanted to say hi and that I can offer assistance if you guys have questions! I so appreciate all the help in planning my Disney trip and here I can give back! :D
The itinerary is super fun! Lots of things I LOVED doing as a kid when we went to Salzburg in the summer. Yes, a lot of things are free otherwise or very inexpensive but the itinerary as a whole is really great and I am sure you will all have tons of fun!

Walking tours through cities are usually free (and then you tip the guide) and never cover entries into places as there is no time! The Prague one through New Europe is only 2-3 hours. The architecture is stunning and says stories all on its own from the outside. It's always great to go in though if you do find the time.

If I know exactly what areas you will be in when I can suggest restaurants, etc. :)

Let me know if I can answer anything!

Love,

Mariana

p.s. I eat gluten free and vegetarian, anyone on a special diet- contact me! I know where to go in all those places. Also a kindergarten teacher so I know what kids like. ;)

I'm going to pipe in here not as a ABDer but as a local in Vienna, Austria (with a lot of weekend trips to Prague in the mix).
Just wanted to say hi and that I can offer assistance if you guys have questions! I so appreciate all the help in planning my Disney trip and here I can give back! :D
The itinerary is super fun! Lots of things I LOVED doing as a kid when we went to Salzburg in the summer. Yes, a lot of things are free otherwise or very inexpensive but the itinerary as a whole is really great and I am sure you will all have tons of fun!

Walking tours through cities are usually free (and then you tip the guide) and never cover entries into places as there is no time! The Prague one through New Europe is only 2-3 hours. The architecture is stunning and says stories all on its own from the outside. It's always great to go in though if you do find the time.

If I know exactly what areas you will be in when I can suggest restaurants, etc. :)

Love,

Mariana

p.s. I eat gluten free and vegetarian, anyone on a special diet- contact me! I know where to go in all those places. Also a kindergarten teacher so I know what kids like. ;)
Thank you, mgsquared! That's very nice of you! I'm sure folks will take advantage of your generous offer! I will be! (I'm still planning this year's Scotland trip, but as soon as that is past, and I start planning this trip for 2015, I know I'll be asking tons of questions!) :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Love,

Mariana

We love Zoos! The Vienna Zoo after hours is one of the highlights drawing me towards this trip! Is it a very old Zoo?

We hope to see your part of the World in 2015. We have been to WDW about 35 times....so if you have any questions...let us know!
:grouphug:

It's one of if not the oldest zoos in the world. Established in 1752. It is gorgeous and my husband and I adore it and have since we were kids (it is also the only zoo to get the WWF seal of approval. They work closely with Jane Goodal too and have successfully bred many animals including pandas and elephants. The animals are as happy as they can be considering.

Rumor is that Kaiser Franz Josef had it expanded and properly set up for his wife, Empress Elisabeth (she was always called Sissi) because she loved animals. She rode horses all the time. At least this is what they told me when I toured the summer palace, where the zoo is, as a kid.

My husband took me on the night tour the night he proposed. It was amazing! You share night vision goggles and some animals are just super active at night. It's really worth a trip by day too though! The palace as well. You kind of miss out if you only see it at night. It is so nice.

We love it so much we got married there. :)

FYI- it is VERY cold in the ice caves and you're in there for at least half an hour. A fleece sweater, hat, gloves, and closed shoes make it more bearable but do not go in in your summer clothes!!! Everyone takes warm things to put on.

It's one of if not the oldest zoos in the world. Established in 1752. It is gorgeous and my husband and I adore it and have since we were kids (it is also the only zoo to get the WWF seal of approval. They work closely with Jane Goodal too and have successfully bred many animals including pandas and elephants. The animals are as happy as they can be considering.

Rumor is that Kaiser Franz Josef had it expanded and properly set up for his wife, Empress Elisabeth (she was always called Sissi) because she loved animals. She rode horses all the time. At least this is what they told me when I toured the summer palace, where the zoo is, as a kid.

My husband took me on the night tour the night he proposed. It was amazing! You share night vision goggles and some animals are just super active at night. It's really worth a trip by day too though! The palace as well. You kind of miss out if you only see it at night. It is so nice.

We love it so much we got married there. :)

NOW I REALLY want to see it!!!!!!!!!!!! Your story gave me chills!

We feel the same about WDW...look in my Signature...we got married there!

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter