• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

centerpieces on a budget

disneynewbeemom

DIS Veteran
I am in charge of making centerpieces for my sons' swim team banquet. I am trying to do this on a budget. Their team colors are blue and green. Any ideas?

I did this for my neices graduation party a few years ago....very inexpensive.

Quart size ball jars, ribbon, tissue paper, and flowers.

I used zebra print, green, and pink tissue paper and wrapped it around the ball jar, tied a yellow ribbon around it and then put matching daisies in them. Very cute and everyone loved them. So much so, that the church where we had her party at ended up buying them off of me to use for their monthly dinners.

Clear plastic vases/jars filled with Swedish Fish, gummy sharks/dolphins, goldfish, etc. Or put the candy in the foot part of a flipper - is that gross? Too bad Disney doesn't give lesson on towel animals, you could make towel animals out of beach towels.

fishbowls? you can get basic glass bowls/vases at the dollar star and last time i bought a goldfish they were cheap, that would be kinda silly and cool to have a living center piece, you can get cheap blue/green rocks for the bottom.

I'd either do fish bowls with goldfish in them (as long as they have a home to go to after the event!) or a bowl of blue and green candy!

If you are doing fish, do betas, they are much more hardy and you can give the centerpieces away to one person at each table. No more than one fish a bowl tho, because they fight. Males are prettier than the females, little show offs.

You can learn how to do towel animals online!! Just watch on you tube!!

Make em out of your colors with cheap towels!! How cute would that be?!?!?!

Just from experience. . .you can do all the things that people here suggested. . or you can simply hit up local nurseries/florists to see if they will do something for free.

For my DH's 40th, I went to Walmart and bought small glass bowls for .88 per bowl and filled them with his favorite candies. Maybe you could find those chocolate gold medal coins to fill in those?

I tied 2 balloons per bowl to the time making them high enough so when they were sitting people could still see each other.

Also, just as another decoration, I went to Walmart again where they had some NFL Patriots's fabric. I bought some and cut out squares with those scissors that give the edges some detail and place each one under a bowl.

Maybe you could do that with their colors?

(everyone loved the tables and it was very inexpensive)

Good luck!

I was in charge of my former swim team's banquet. We rented a helium tank and blew up balloons for each table. We had the decorative weights with stars coming out. It was simple but very inexpensive.

Buy glass bowls at the dollar store. Fill with water. Put a floating candle in each one. Sprinkle some shiny confetti on the tables around the bowls. To incorporate the colors you could use green or blue candles and blue or green confetti. You may even find confetti that match the theme of the dinner. For example I've seen confetti that says "congratulations" that can be used for an awards dinner etc. Another option is helium balloons. Fill them yourself to save money. Make a weight in colors to match your theme using shiny paper wrapped around a rock or other heavy item. Fill 3 balloons in colors that work with your theme and tie it to the weight. Set in the middle of the table. Very festive and cheaper than flowers. You can still put confetti on the table.

"confetti" can be easily made if you take curly ribbon and curl it tight. Then just cut it into little peices. Someone probably has curly ribbon in the right colors in their wrapping box.

This one looks really festive but is super cheap and partly recyclable:

Shred blue & green paper and scatter on the table. Next, scatter some themed candy (gummi sharks, etc). For the center piece, I'd use 3 helium balloons (in your case, I'd do blue, green and silver) that were high enough off the table so that the people who were sitting could still see each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter