Cell phones in Epcot

I can remember 2 exact spots where I know I called out and had no problems in January 2003 using Verizon. The covered eating area by the bakery in Norway and while standing outside MouseGears while facing the Electric Umbrella :-D I'm sure I used it more then that in Epcot calling hubby but I remember those 2 times while waiting on the rest of my party and had a good signal. I did have a tri-mode phone and I mention this because in 2001 I travelled with my previous phone and it was a dual mode and I had more troubles.

September 2002 (again with the current tri-mode) I did have troubles using my phone when calling out of my Riverside Resort room. One day it worked from the table area, the next it wouldn't but would work by the bed and the next time I'd have to step outside. In Jan2003 I just called as I would walk to the bus in the morning and I did the same in Sept2002 at Riverside and had no problems.

Have fun!!!!! Oh and if you have text messaging, it worked great for me, I was able to send notes to hubby on both trips while sitting on the buses or boats and not disturbing those around me :-D I turned mine to vibrate that way I could use the clock feature since I keep forgetting to get a battery for my watch for the trips .... need to add THAT to my packing list... watch battery *g*

how about nextel? anyone have experience with those in the world?

Originally posted by jlp651

We used our Nextel while vacationing in Aug. It was kind of hit and miss. We had to step outside our room at All Star Sports and had to watch our signal in the parks. My sister was with us and we could direct connect most of the time.

My husband uses a Nextel worldwide phone and I have a Verizon tri-mode. I have called him and he has called me from all sorts of locations in WDW, including Epcot. We have never had a problem getting thru to each other. Obviously, inside some of the attractions signals don't get thru, but outside has never been a problem. He can vouch for how good the signal is on the Disney golf courses!

cool bf will be happy about that-he's afraid if we get split up he wont find me!!!

Originally posted by jlp651

We just got back a couple of weeks ago. DW and I both have Nextel. There were some dead spots, but most were solved by moving not more than 20 or 25 feet, or going outside the building.

we have Verizon, we were at Disney 15 days (Oct. 18-Nov. 2), and no matter where we were or what time we received phone calls and made them.

I even called my brother while on the ride "Its A Small World" so I could annoy him with the music... he wasnt home, so I let the answering machine pick up and then held the phone out so it could record it... I didnt say a word, however when I returned home, he knew exactly who did it and he said it was as clear as a bell.... great joke and we still talk about it.

We had no problems using our cell phones anywhere in disney/universal except deep inside some rides.
we used text messaging alot it gave us an easy way to communicate and even tho we were not in our home calling area's we didnt have to pay any fees other than the 5 dollars a month for the service. oh yeah Cingular phone service.

Inside the Beirgarten at German... parent's surprised us with visit and tried to call us 10+ times but couldn't connect with each other calls kept dropping. We didn't even know they were in the park till I used a pay phone to trip to call an hour later. :(
Also had bad signal in most of the country areas, dang verizon!

Can anyone comment on that service inside the WDW? We were going to hold off on getting new phones for a bit longer, but since these have free mobile to mobile calls, we thought they would be great to keep track of each other inside WDW. Had some trouble with the walkie-talkies last time.... lots of interference. Had trouble finding a clear channel. SO hopefully the phones will be an improvement. (Our previous phones were almost 6 years old!.... we've been waiting for number portability!)....P

I have T-Mobile and had only minor problems with dead zones. I was at WL and had no problem there. No problems at all in the parks, except for a spot here and there and all you had to do was walk a few feet somewhere else and the signal got strong.
You should be in good shape.

I use AT&T. It tends to have weak or no signal in many of the restaurants and attractions - I find it best to let callers reach voicemail, then I retrieve messages when out in open air there. Note: If you have a phone that constantly "seeks" a signal, as mine does, it may run down the battery much sooner. My newly adopted policy is to switch off the phone unless I am making or expecting a call. That also reduces the "cell phone ringer noise pollution" in the parks. :crazy:

OK I think we'ver covered all the cell phone companies except the service I use. Can anyone tell me how the sprint service is? I'm only really worried about hooking up with DH after his Richard Petty expierence.

thanks,
:Pinkbounc

We use Nextel.
Occasionally we would have a "garbled" signal that was usually resolved by trying to direct connect again or moving a few feet. Never had any problems at any of the resorts, and had a little bit of trouble when my mom and DD were in Universe of Energy and we were outside of M:S, but nothing that we could not resolve.
We just love our Nextel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter