• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cell phone service

QuickGold

Studios Superman
Just curious as to how people have fared with using their cell phone on the first day of the cruise. I've heard the ship hugs the Florida coastline and cell phone service fairly well. Question is, how long from the ship departing has anyone had cell coverage?

Also, I know the metal bulkheads and radar can interfere with cell phone reception...any tips as to where on the boat to be for best service?

Cell phones are really radios, so you want to be out on deck as high as possible. Your reception will depend on how far you are to the nearest tower, so may vary as the ship moves. I have been on ships off the coast of Florida and had good reception, but have always been able to see the coastline off in the distance. Never tried on Disney.

My Sprint Nextel did NOT work in the Bahamas.

I used my Verizon cell phone halfway between St. Martin, heading to CC. It worked again between CC heading back to FL. I used it on the balcony and in the room, it worked fine with a slight delay.

We have Nextel and did'nt get very good reception after about 6 hours into the cruise. I guess it's hit and miss.

We also used our Verizon with very little problems..used it in my cabin and on the decks.

*Just remember to use cell phone etiquette when in public areas.......
...:rotfl2: .....no one wants to hear how Auntie Mae's liposuction turned out....lol
..........:lmao:

We also used our Verizon with very little problems..used it in my cabin and on the decks.

*Just remember to use cell phone etiquette when in public areas.......
...:rotfl2: .....no one wants to hear how Auntie Mae's liposuction turned out....lol
..........:lmao:

Did those calls you made from the ship cost extra? Were they roaming or international? I've been wondering if we would get nailed on our bill if we used our cell phones on board or on the islands.

With the new cell at sea service I didn't have any trouble at all using my Verizon service in my stateroom on any day on the cruise (I needed it a couple of times.) You do need to have international roaming service on your phone to do so though.

Sue Ellen

yes... they added up to more than I thought...I did call my carrier prior and ask about International Charges...but was still suprised at the amout on my bill when we got it.
So call and ask if charges/calls from the ship are charged as International or at a different rate. It is infomation you will need :)

Did those calls you made from the ship cost extra? Were they roaming or international? I've been wondering if we would get nailed on our bill if we used our cell phones on board or on the islands.

Due to a death in the family I had to make a call on my Verizon Cell. Reception could have been a little better but it worked. A 4 min call cost me 10.00. That a lot of money but about half of what a ship to shore would have run.

yes... they added up to more than I thought...I did call my carrier prior and ask about International Charges...but was still suprised at the amout on my bill when we got it.
So call and ask if charges/calls from the ship are charged as International or at a different rate. It is infomation you will need :)

Thank you (and everyone else) who responded! I guess I need to call my cell company!

Here's what the Disney Cruise website says:

Cellular At Sea

Keep in touch and experience the convenience! In addition to ship-to-shore calling, Disney Cruise Line® now features Cellular at Sea phone service which lets you make and receive phone calls and text messages — via your very own cell phone or wireless PDA — while out at sea. Available from most cell phone carriers, including Cingular, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile, this exciting new service is currently accessible exclusively in Guest Staterooms aboard the Disney Magic® and the Disney Wonder®.

To obtain usage rates and international roaming rates, be sure to contact your cell phone provider before your cruise. Please note that Guests seeking to avoid the unwanted costs associated with data downloads are recommended to keep their wireless devices off during the cruise.

Anyone have Verizon and sent TXT messages from St Thomas? I have made calls on my plan with no extra charges, but our son this year wonders if he can send TXT messages without any extra fees (he has unlimited TXT mesages).

Anyone know?

Sean

http://www.cellularatsea.com/roaming.htm

Go to cellularatsea.com, click on your service provider, Disney cruise line and it will give you all the info you need. My neice used her phone (no problem w/service) our entire 7nt Eastern cruise. Her mother got a $400+ phone bill. We tried to tell them DO NOT BRING THE CELL PHONE!!! Did not listen. Oh, well. I think most of the charges were 2.49/minute. St Thomas was free, I think.

Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter