• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

cell phone question

We use Verizon, no problems at all. Clear, and a full signal all the time in the parks, rooms, etc. (you should, as mentioned earlier be sure to update at no charge to the local tower. We always update wherever we go, just as a precaution. I know some people have never upgraded theirs, and it's fine, but we travel a lot and often in the mountains, so we do it).

My sister used her tracphone..no problems at all..she was happy with her full signal and clearity.

My daughter used Nextel..ended up leaving it in the room..didn't work well inside Disney at all (fine outside of Disney)..she ended up using my phone. She didn't know if she had an upgrade on her phone, to make it work better when away, so it was easier ot not bother toting it.

We have Cingular. Every once in a while, reception was not that great. Usually this was in a hotel or at a water park. Our biggest problem was hearing our phones. With all the surrounding noise, it's really tough. We had ours set to vibrate and make noise, but we often missed each other's calls.

DMRick said:
My daughter used Nextel..ended up leaving it in the room..didn't work well inside Disney at all (fine outside of Disney)..she ended up using my phone. She didn't know if she had an upgrade on her phone, to make it work better when away, so it was easier ot not bother toting it.
--------------------

Wow! I'm surprised! Mine worked great everywhere.. And I sure as heck didn't do any "upgrading" - I barely know how to turn it on; can't figure out how to use my phone book; don't know how to use the speed dial feature; etc.. :teeth: I'm terribly "cell phone challenged".. Do they have classes for that? :rotfl: :rotfl:

crow11ad said:
We have Sprint. Used it every where at Disney. Not one drop call...Strong signal. Don't forget the best part, no roaming... unlike that other "C" company... :rotfl2:
We also have Sprint. It worked, but was a little spotty. Had a couple times when I called DW and she couldn't hear me. I don't think it's our phones because that never happens at home. Not a big deal though, and it was definitely great to be able to get in touch. We didn't split up very much, mostly just when we used baby swap and the non-riding person wanted to wander around while the other one was riding.

Hers was awful...which is why she had to use mine. Same thing when we camp in the Adirondacks, or any less populous place..her Nextel doesn't work. I have no idea if you can upgrade anything on Nextel, she just wondered since she knew we could (not that I have in ages). I'm surprised your verizon didn't work good last time you were there...we've had verizon for years, and it's always been good..so I guess it is different for different people (had you "kissed" it to the tower once you got down there? Supposedly that's a real plus with Verizon.).
Nextel gave out the phones to GE employees (no monthly fee), but even at free (she pays for minutes, less for walkie talky), I think she is thinking of canning it LOL.

DMRick said:
Nextel gave out the phones to GE employees (no monthly fee), but even at free (she pays for minutes, less for walkie talky), I think she is thinking of canning it LOL.
----------------

I remember you saying how awful Nextel was and I relayed all that information to my son-in-law.. Obviously he didn't listen to me - LOL - and then when they worked beautifully, I had to eat crow to boot!!! Geeez.. :teeth:

I just wish they would put some kind of tower here at the lake.. There is not a cell phone made that will get a signal where I am.. Shoot - we're lucky the REGULAR phones work - and that's spotty at times too.. :rotfl: Once we're out of the dead zone, the Nextels work fine and then I have to put up with the "look" from my son-in-law.. He's too polite to come right out and say, "I told you so.." :rotfl:

C.Ann said:
----------------

I remember you saying how awful Nextel was and I relayed all that information to my son-in-law.. Obviously he didn't listen to me - LOL - and then when they worked beautifully, I had to eat crow to boot!!!
I don't remember that, but if I passed that on, it would be the result of many polls (and my daughters experience) where travelers often put Nextel on the bottom. As with any competition, I'm sure things improved. We're all over the US, and for us it's Verizon, with no problems.

We used our Cingular phones to call back & forth to each other last November with no problem. I set my phone to vibrate and kept it in my pocket. Otherwise, I would not hear the ring most of the time (this is a probably a lot of places for me, not just WDW).

Calls between mine & DH's phone are free (no airtime charge) so we found this worked better than our Motorolla radios.

Sarah........mom to Jason & Devin

liznboys said:
I'd like to know this too, but I am interested in Nextel and Virgin Mobile. Anyone use those in WDW??

NEXTEL - 100% Coverage at WDW. WDW uses nextel as their walkie-talkie communications, so you should get reception even inside all of the rides. I have 100% reception on property, when you get off property, it drops a little, but works in most places around orlando. When you get out of Florida though - ouch!

US Cellular - Decent. It won't work in many of the rides, but it works most places outside. You are roaming, and long distance, so be careful how much you talk if you don't have nationwide coverage. I gave it up for Nextel while living down in FL.

liznboys said:
I'd like to know this too, but I am interested in Nextel and Virgin Mobile. Anyone use those in WDW??

My husband has Nextel and I have Virgin Mobile and both worked great everywhere around WDW, the hotel and DTD!

What about Virgin pay as you go phones? Do they work at WDW? We bought ours at Best Buy.

:rockband:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter