Cell phone - picture taking?

mommykds

All Disney all the time! Hang on little Dole Whip,
I know you can't use your cell on the cruise without paying a crazy rate to do so, but can you take pictures with your cell without charge? My 14 DD wants to take pictures but we have no plans to buy her a digital camera right now. Thanks

Yes as long as you're not sending them and just saving them in the phone. I only take pictures with my phone now and bought an SD card to save all my photos from my last cruise. I put my phone on 'airplane mode' to make sure I don't accidentally send anything to anyone and just use it as a camera and a watch. :)

Yes as long as you're not sending them and just saving them in the phone. I only take pictures with my phone now and bought an SD card to save all my photos from my last cruise. I put my phone on 'airplane mode' to make sure I don't accidentally send anything to anyone and just use it as a camera and a watch. :)

If your phone does not have airplane mode you risk being charged a fee if someone sends you a text or calls you while the phone is on to take pictures.

I'm far from a cell phone expect, but I thought only high end phones had airplane mode, and I would suspect most kids don't have high end phones.
Might be worth buying him a $10 single use digital camera or a $7.99 single use film camera.

I've never had a phone without an airplane mode and certainly don't have what I'd consider a high end phone. Currently it's an LG ENV3 which is the quality of phone all my teen kids' friends have.
I'm sure phones are out there that don't have it, though, so of course, it would make sense to check first before counting on it being there and being unpleasantly surprised after with a big phone bill. :)

She has a very basic phone used for emergencies to text/call me or her dad for rides home etc. I will check if she has an airplane mode but I do not think so. Thanks all for your responses.

I've never had a phone without an airplane mode and certainly don't have what I'd consider a high end phone. Currently it's an LG ENV3 which is the quality of phone all my teen kids' friends have.
I'm sure phones are out there that don't have it, though, so of course, it would make sense to check first before counting on it being there and being unpleasantly surprised after with a big phone bill. :)

Well, I guess it's a matter of opinion. An LG ENV3 costs $99 if you sign a 2 year contract.
Our cell phones are all the ones that are free with a 2 year contract.
Given that an i-Phone is $99 too, to me the LG ENV3 is a high end phone by the price standard, because I consider an i-Phone high end.

I don't have it anymore but, with a two year contract I had a LG Shine and only paid 10.00 and I really wouldn't consider it a "high end phone" and it had flight mode.:goodvibes

Virtually every modern phone has a way to turn off the the transmitters & receivers. Not all have an easy to find shortcut called airplane mode, it may be called something else and you may have to go through the setup menus to find it. Check your phone's manual online or call your local cell phone store and they should be able to walk you through the menus to do it.

If the cell phone rings, you can just ignore it.

If you happen to get any text messages while you are at sea, incoming text messages are only five cents.

My LG Voyager does not have flight or airplane mode. It also takes really crappy pictures, or is that the user?

If the rumours are true and Verizon is going to get the IPhone in June, I will make the switch. But if not, my 2 year old phone will remain turned off while on the ship or in the islands.

OP, there are some very inexpensive digital cameras out there, perhaps you could get one for the family and let her use it on the cruise?

If the cell phone rings, you can just ignore it.

Unfortunely if the cell phone is on and a call enter even if you not answer, it's going to cost you the international rate for 1 minute. That happen to us in bahamas; when we receive the bill I call at&t an tell them I never answer a call and they said as long as the phone is on we charge :guilty: , so airplane mode is the only way to avoid the charge.

My LG Voyager does not have flight or airplane mode. It also takes really crappy pictures, or is that the user?

If the rumours are true and Verizon is going to get the IPhone in June, I will make the switch. But if not, my 2 year old phone will remain turned off while on the ship or in the islands.

OP, there are some very inexpensive digital cameras out there, perhaps you could get one for the family and let her use it on the cruise?

Kodak has disposable digital cameras for $10. Or if you prefer film, $7 plus processing.

On the LG Voyager, Airplane mode is called "Standalone mode". Here are the instructions for setting it:

1. Open the flip and press the OK Key.
2. Press the Navigation Key to scroll to the Settings & Tools menu and press the OK Key.
3. Press 6 Phone Settings.
4. Press 1 Standalone Mode.
5. Use the Navigation Key to scroll to a setting, then press the OK Key.

Hope this helps

Virtually every modern phone has a way to turn off the the transmitters & receivers. Not all have an easy to find shortcut called airplane mode, it may be called something else and you may have to go through the setup menus to find it. Check your phone's manual online or call your local cell phone store and they should be able to walk you through the menus to do it.

Like I said, I am no cell phone expert (that would be my kids).
DW and I have Samsung SCH-u540's and they don't have airplane mode.
My mom's Samsung SCH-a670 doesn't either .
DS has an LG Dare, it has it. DD has an Samsung Glyde, it has it too, but both those phones cost close to $100 ( I don't know since they had to buy them).

DW and I have Samsung SCH-u540's and they don't have airplane mode.

Actually, the Samsung SCH-U540 does have an airplane mode, it's called the standalone mode and you set it from the main menu go to Settings & Tools then goto item 6 - Phone Settings, then item 1 - Standalone Mode & you can toggle it on and off.

Hope this helps...

Wow, thanks, learn something everyday. Interesting, I just spent 15 minutes scouring the owners manual, and there is no mention of this. It is, however, on the Verizon website.
Nice to know, but since I never use the MP3 player, and leave my phone home when I fly, probably won't ever get to try it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter