Cell Phone Insurance?

I used to pay for the insurance on my daughter's iPhone because she is tough on the screen. Then, I realized that the cell phone store down the street would repair/replace the screen for $80. The insurance cost me $13/month and if I ever needed to replace the screen, it was a $50 deductible. I realized that the insurance was really only going to help me out if the phone was lost altogether. I decided to drop it and just pay OOP if and when the phone needed repair. When my daughter broke her screen, I paid the $80, waited 2 hours and got her phone back with a nice, new screen on it. I've had to do that three times in 2 years, but I am still ahead. I would have paid $462 WITH the insurance ($13/month x 24 months, + $50 deductible x 3 events), but instead, I paid "only" $240...saved almost 50%. My other daughter still loves her iPhone 6S and refuses to upgrade. She took advantage of the Apple battery replacement offer ($29) a few years ago, but that one went bad this year and she needed it replaced. We don't have insurance on her phone, but the cost to replace the battery was only $40 so, again, we saved way more money by simply paying OOP than relying on "insurance". I will say that the ONLY reason I would rely on insurance is if I could not afford to REPLACE the phone if it were lost/stolen.

This is basically how we look at it too. No insurance since the deductible is high and it’s cheaper to not have the insurance and pay out of pocket. I have Verizon and I think I would have to get the insurance on all 4 phones, not just one, so it’s really not worth it to me.

OP I have heard that it’s pretty easy to change the screen also. There were a few ladies at SOs job that would buy the kits on amazon and do it themselves and charge their coworkers a few bucks. One of my coworkers friends does it themselves too. I believe the kit is $10 or so. I’ve never looked into it myself but if your daughter is good with things like that it may be worth looking into.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter