Celiac review from this week

scrappinmom

WDW, DL & DLP - up next ???
We are here now & for the most part every single place has been fantastic! Our table service meals have been great, they have come out & talked to my daughter each time and offered her not only excellent main course options but yummy dessert options as well - We've eaten at: Chef Mickey's (D), BOG (D), Coral Reef (D), Yak & Yeti (D), 50's Prime Time (D & my daughter said the best fried chicken she's ever had). Counter service has been great with the meal part but the dessert part has been the hard as a rock packaged brownie or bland cookie. The cook at Rosies All American was great! He came out & told her he could make her anything on the menu - the chicken fingers were very good.

Now for the bad - Illuminations Dessert party - When I booked I asked about gluten free options & was assured she would have choices. They gave her the packaged brownie, cookie & said she could eat the berries - THAT IS IT! the ice cream has whey, the whipped cream has whey -there was nothing else for her to eat. I am not happy about it at all - it was a complete waste of money.

I'd be happy to answer any questions if I can

Why is whey a problem for her? Does she have a dairy issue on top of Celiac disease?

The catering manager said they use thickeners that contain gluten so she couldn't have it

Thank you for your review. I'll be visiting WDW for the first time with a gluten sensitivity, so I really appreciate the reviews.

I'm so sorry that the Wishes dessert party was so lacking in options for your daughter. :(

Just to be clear, whey has nothing to do with gluten (just don't want anyone to get confused). There may have been thickeners in the ice-cream but whey was not the issue.

Glad everything was great except the dessert party. Honestly, I would send Disney an e-mail stating your dissatisfaction with the dessert party. If you are paying the same as everyone else, you certainly did not have the same experience.

Glad everything was great except the dessert party. Honestly, I would send Disney an e-mail stating your dissatisfaction with the dessert party. If you are paying the same as everyone else, you certainly did not have the same experience.

They supplied desserts and there experience was had. I doubt they will refund because they did what they said they would but you could always try. (I say they most likely won't because that has been the experience others have had).

They supplied desserts and there experience was had. I doubt they will refund because they did what they said they would but you could always try. (I say they most likely won't because that has been the experience others have had).
I do plan on contacting them - not for a refund - that is not my expectation. But I would liked them to inform people when they call and ask - if we would have known her options were going to be so dismal we would have planned ahead & gotten her dessert from somewhere else or we wouldn't have attended the party. Just to clarify it was the illuminations party & as for the whey - sorry I wasn't more clear (I was still on vacation mode) it's been my experience with my daughter than unless I can be 110% positive of it it's better to avoid. When I asked the catering manager said she couldn't have it because of the whey - I wasn't going to argue with him nor was I going to take that chance.

I do plan on contacting them - not for a refund - that is not my expectation. But I would liked them to inform people when they call and ask - if we would have known her options were going to be so dismal we would have planned ahead & gotten her dessert from somewhere else or we wouldn't have attended the party. Just to clarify it was the illuminations party & as for the whey - sorry I wasn't more clear (I was still on vacation mode) it's been my experience with my daughter than unless I can be 110% positive of it it's better to avoid. When I asked the catering manager said she couldn't have it because of the whey - I wasn't going to argue with him nor was I going to take that chance.
That was what I was thinking, to just let them know your thoughts. I didn't expect you would get a refund. Good luck!

In case you ever have another experience like this - every time we've asked, a manager/chef/cast member would allow us to look at their looseleaf binder with ingredient lists, or if that wasn't available, the actual food package so we could check to be certain it was OK. While they probably would not have been thrilled to haul out the ice cream mix label at a dessert party, if you asked nicely I think they would have done it. BTW - DH (who has celiac) and I were at the Tomorrowland dessert party in January. He got a plate full of GF cookies, gummy bears, fruit, and caramel corn.

We had the same experience last November. I called ahead also and was told there would be plenty that was gluten free. My husband received a packaged brownie and a handful of berries. I'm just glad I didn't pay the $50 dollars that they are charging now!

Hey! I was diagnosed with Celiac in Mar. '14 and went to WDW in Apr. '14. Thought I would add my experiences here since I went to different restaurants.

We were camping at FW so didn't eat that many meals in restaurants. We were going with 2 other families and already had reservations for several places, though. I emailed the special diets address to see if they could give any GF info on those particular restaurants in case I needed to find other restaurants. They responded pretty quickly, but with a standard list of ingredients in ALL the restaurants, so it wasn't helpful at all. I wanted specifics, so I will add a lot of detail here. I also called the dining # to have them add the diet restriction to the reservations.

So, I met the chef at every place and they were super and very knowledgeable (as they should be). I'll just list the places I can remember (I am old and that was over a year ago.) I definitely never went hungry. Plenty of options at all of them.

1) O'hana - they brought me my own unbreaded chicken wings, in addition to all the other meats. I think I got different veggies, too. Pretty sure there was a GF roll. The killer though, was dessert. Everyone else got a bread pudding, but I got a molten lava chocolate cake that was unbelievable. Pretty sure my friends were jealous. Also, the waiter here was good about checking on what adult beverage I could have.

2) Biergarten - the chef came and walked me through the buffet, telling me exactly what I could have. Obviously with a buffet you run the risk of cross-contamination, but I didn't have any problems. Again, I didn't go hungry. The desserts were a little lacking. I think I had chocolate pudding or something.

3) Trails End - I had made this res with the promise of delicious fried chicken, so I almost cancelled, but since we were staying there at the campground decided to try it out. The chef was great; he said he had an ex with Celiac, so he knew way more than I did at that point. He also walked me through the buffet and then offered to make me several things. I took him up on the cornbread and mac & cheese. So good! Can't even remember dessert there, I think I was too stuffed.

That is all the sit-down restaurants I recall from that trip. I will say we went to that big counter service place in HS, Commissary I think? Anyway, that was the worst experience with a CM I've ever had. When I asked about GF options, the cashier froze and said she had to get the manager. The manager took 5-10 min to locate and the whole time the cashier kept saying, it doesn't usually take this long. The manager finally came and slapped this binder down in front of me to show me all the ingredients. She was throwing off a lot of attitude like I was really putting her out. I believe in the more flies with honey approach (esp. with someone else preparing my food), so I promise I hadn't even looked at her with anything but a smile when she got there.

Oh, I also had dessert party res at the MK, but ended up canceling due to our park plans getting changed. Glad I did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter