Celiac Disease

lovedcookie

Mouseketeer
DFi has just been diagnosed with celiac disease. He's quite upset because most of his favorite foods contain gluten and we like to eat out. We're both a little scared because we have read/been told of the many health issues he's at a greater risk for. . . and overall, I'm just so nervous that one of us will accidentally make the wrong food choice and he will end up sick again. I am trying to remind both DFi and myself that at least this is a managable condition, he will be ok, and we can still enjoy WDW (I've read they're pretty good about accomodating dietary needs if you let them know in advance, right?).
Any advice? Is there such a thing as a gluten free cake or pie? DFi's birthday is soon.
Sorry to babble but thanks in advance!
Erica:flower3:

There are quite a few threads on the other part of the disABILITIES Board about celiac and diet restrictions, so I think there is quite a bit to set your mind at ease.

Sue is right that there are many threads related to special diets and gluten free. Outback Steakhouse has an online GF menu as do other restaurants. It takes time to find items that are GF but they are out there. There are many substitutes like corn tortillas for bread, soy and almond milk, oscar myer cold cuts, Lays and Tims potato chips.

The thunder down under is an excellent dessert and yes there are many substitutes and gluten free products out there, just look for previously posted threads.

Basically the gluten causes the body to attack itself and the damage can be to the stomach or to anywhere in the body that the gluten travels to via the bloodstream. The damaged stomach cannot absorb fats, nutrients and other stuff. Failure to absorb fat can cause problems with the hair and skin. People with celiac can get run down immune systems and vitamin deficiencies such as bad teeth (calcium), poor vision, emotional problems, moods, headaches, sores that do not heal and so much more.

Knowing that you are having a reaction helps a lot. When I am recovering from eating gluten I take extra vitamins and mineral as well as large amounts of vitamin C and bioflavanoids. Watch for cravings as I love so much the flour thickened apples dessert and once I started guzzling maple syrup that had barley. Early signs are a racing pulse, jittery hyper state then the crash that is often a headache and nap attack. Also watch for excesssive gas which can cause nausea, chest and back pains and other problems.

Unlike many disorders people with celiac can live normal lives except when inhaling, eating or drinking stuff. I thank God that of all the illnesses I got celiac and food allergies as there are far worse things that I could have had.
======================================
I found the thread.

http://www.clanthompson.com/res_contacts_shop.php3
A list of companies making gluten free items. I spent nearly an hour cllicking on links. Excellent source for gluten free products.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/index.php
Has gluten free flour for making at home bread and other baked goods.
They have things like date sugar, cornstarch, flour and other baking needs. Like most places they often use beans or rice as a substitute but the flour, date sugar, maple sugar, cornstarch and grits all are gluten free and purely that item.

I never tried this company which sells dry mixes.
http://www.chebe.com/dryproduct.htm
Ingredients: Manioc (tapioca) flour, modified manioc starch (100% manioc), iodine-free sea salt, cream of tartar, sodium bicarbonate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter