Celebration Trip--Daughter with Cancer

Obsessed w/Disney in OH

With hope, the imagination soars.
We are so excited. :goodvibes

Today is 6 months until our arrival at WDW!!!!:rainbow: It is such a special trip for us because we will be celebrating our daughter's cure. It will be the one year anniversary of her diagnosis with Burkitt's Lymphoma.

Jana has been hospitalized most of the time since her diagnosis in July receiving aggressive chemotherapy. Although I never imagined how great it would be to say this--she is going in the hospital next week for her LAST CHEMO ROUND!! :) All of the tests, scans, and biopsies indicate that we are beating this beast and the last 3 months of treatment have been focused on maintaining the remission. It has been such a difficult journey but we are facing the end of this rough and painful segment. Now it is recovery, continued remission, and return to "new normal" life.

The worst thing I have had to do as a parent was to tell our 11-year-old that she has cancer. Immediately, there were so many questions from her..."Am I going to lose my hair?" "Can I go to school, dance, choir, etc.?" And of course the big one..."Am I going to be OK?" After we assured her that she WOULD be OK, we started to make plans for the future so she would KNOW and BELIEVE that she would be OK. During one of the first days as we coped with the news and made future plans she said, "When I am all better, can we go back to Disney??"

So, it's going to happen!! pixiedust:

I can't imagine how wonderful it will be to walk down Main Street in MK with our family, knowing what has been accomplished in the past year since the awful diagnosis--for Jana and all of us. If you see us--we will be walking beside the girl beaming from ear to ear and I will be the one sobbing with joy.

We can't imagine a more wonderful and magical place to be celebrating LIFE. ~Lisa

How amazing your story is...and to celebrate lif ein the Happiest Place on Earth...what a blessing!! Hope that the memories you create help to erase the heartache you endured. When my 17 yr old brother battled cancer it was draining on all of us...he lost his battle.... Treasure the good and release that fear and anger....your life has never looked so good!!!!

What wonderful news. It sounds like your family has been through a tremendous ordeal, but what a blessing that your dd is doing so well. You all deserve and I'm sure will have the best vacation.

Have a wonderful time! pixiedust:

I hope that you all have a wonderful time together. As the mother of an 11 year old daughter, you have my prayers for a full cure of this dreadful disease. God Bless.

Thank you for sharing your ups and downs with us. I've read some of your other posts. Your trip will definitely have more meaning and magic than ever before. Your daughter smiling in her pictures brightens my day. I wish you all the best in the future. We will also be there in six months, so we'll be there at the same time. We arrive on 7-24 and will be staying at POP. We've requested 50's Lady building, so if you see two windows side by side all decked out, stop in and say hello. My daughter is fixing our LGMH's, and I bought two sets of cutesies for the windows. We're going with Princesses for the girls' room and Toy Story for the guys' room. They rolled their eyes at us, but we're decorating their window anyway. We'd love to meet all of you!

My best to your daughter and the whole family for making it through this tough time. I am glad for ya'll and pray that your trip will be a blessed one.:)

Wishing you a trip filled with magical moments! I cannot think of a better place on life to celebrate life. I am excited to hear about your wonderful trip when you return. pixiedust:

We are so excited. :goodvibes

Today is 6 months until our arrival at WDW!!!!:rainbow: It is such a special trip for us because we will be celebrating our daughter's cure. It will be the one year anniversary of her diagnosis with Burkitt's Lymphoma.

Jana has been hospitalized most of the time since her diagnosis in July receiving aggressive chemotherapy. Although I never imagined how great it would be to say this--she is going in the hospital next week for her LAST CHEMO ROUND!! :) All of the tests, scans, and biopsies indicate that we are beating this beast and the last 3 months of treatment have been focused on maintaining the remission. It has been such a difficult journey but we are facing the end of this rough and painful segment. Now it is recovery, continued remission, and return to "new normal" life.

The worst thing I have had to do as a parent was to tell our 11-year-old that she has cancer. Immediately, there were so many questions from her..."Am I going to lose my hair?" "Can I go to school, dance, choir, etc.?" And of course the big one..."Am I going to be OK?" After we assured her that she WOULD be OK, we started to make plans for the future so she would KNOW and BELIEVE that she would be OK. During one of the first days as we coped with the news and made future plans she said, "When I am all better, can we go back to Disney??"

So, it's going to happen!! pixiedust:

I can't imagine how wonderful it will be to walk down Main Street in MK with our family, knowing what has been accomplished in the past year since the awful diagnosis--for Jana and all of us. If you see us--we will be walking beside the girl beaming from ear to ear and I will be the one sobbing with joy.

We can't imagine a more wonderful and magical place to be celebrating LIFE. ~Lisa

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :cheer2:

I can relate all too well. My son was 8 (now he is 14) when he was diagnosed with Ewings Sarcoma. He had two full years of chemo and 5 months of radiation! It is a very hard thing...to be a parent of a child with cancer. It is hard to watch your children suffer...and not be able to do much about it.

We are going to Disney April 29th - May 6th to celebrate my sons "5 year" CANCER FREE Anniversary! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Im sooooooo happy for your daughter and your family. I know you will all have such a great time! :goodvibes

Have you done Make A Wish? We did with our son when we thought he wasn't going to make it. It as very magical.

Thank you all for celebrating with me and being excited for us!! :goodvibes Your kind and encouraging words are just great! It will be such a special trip, indeed. It has given us all something to look forward to when we have finished this leg of Jana's journey. :grouphug:

Momof-3~I can't imagine 2 1/2 years of treatment...7 months is enough pain, suffering, and sadness for us to last a lifetime. :sad1: We're just working on one year from diagnosis--I can't imagine 5 year cancer free anniversary!! :) So happy for you and your son. Childhood cancer is just awful and you're right--parents suffer right along with their child...some days even more. There are several huge chunks of times that Jana doesn't remember--some of the chemo rounds when she was on a pain pump and so very, very sick. What a blessing that she doesn't remember! Now, I wish I could forget some of it! :sad2:

Jana's Wish trip is in the works...she has a special celebrity request...once we know more I will post here! pixiedust:
Thank you for cheering and celebrating with us! :cheer2: ~Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter