• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Celebration to us but wondering

CuppieCake04

Mouseketeer
I would like to get some feedback on what I am thinking of asking a CM before Checkin

I have a special needs son. He has aspergers and learning disabilities. He has a 504 plan, but in our state (LA) he has to pass the standardized state tests the same test as non disabled students. He worked VERY VERY hard this year, he passed 3/4 but failed the math portion. He struggled all year with math. He has to attend summer school and retake the test. If he DOES NOT pass he will be held back in 4th grade again.

HOWEVER if he does pass, i would like to contact the manager at POP, and ask for a special magic moment for my son. Not even sure if they would accommodate this request. But here is what I hope they can do.

When we check in I would like for them to tell my son that they have been waiting for him, and that Mickey Mouse Had stopped by and left something for him. which would be a card telling him congrats on passing the test, and that Mickey knows how hard he worked and how much studying he had done and that Mickey was proud of him. and signed with Mickey's signature.. signature...lol And perhaps a few balloons that they give away at the resorts.

For the veterans out there does this sound like something they would do??

I know to some this may seem over the top for passing a test, but to my son having Mickey acknowledge it would just kick off our WDW vacation in the most magical way.

Curious as to why this was moved to the disabilities forum?? This was more of a question of would a CM do this for my son..

Has nothing to do with being disabled...

1. As you describe it, he is disabled.

2. In this forum we are used to people who do not think this. Also, we are not judgmental about "invisible" disabilities, which (unfortunately) happens in other forums.

OP, could you (or another adult) approach the check-in CM first and explain what you'd like? I think if you slipped a card or something to the CM at check-in, I'm sure they'd be happy to "present" it to your son. I'm not sure that they will actually provide the moment but work with you to make it happen. Some suggestions come to mind...have you checked out the gift baskets and such that can be delivered to your room? I'm sure you could work with the Disney Florist or whatever vendor to customize something that would be a surprise when your son entered the room - balloons, card, treats, whatever. I'd suggest you look into this option. Also make sure you get an "I'm Celebrating" button - this MAY bring some surprise pixie-dust throughout your stay.

Enjoy your vacation and good luck to your son on passing his exams!

I think this might be the kind of thing that you could quietly ask the CM at the check-in counter. I would bet that they have some of those photo cards back there. I'm not sure if anybody would be able to write a personalized note in Mickey's writing on demand though. It would really depend on whether or not they have somebody there at the time who knows how to write in that script. They may be able to get one sent to your room later if they can't do it right then. We've had cards with personal notes put in our room in the past though neven one based on a request so I'm not sure just how that works (twice for birthdays and twice because of something that went wrong and CMs were being super nice so as I said, not because we asked). The CM will definitely give him an I'm Celebrating button.

Definitely include this as your celebration on your reservation. It's possible that such a card would already be ready for you though I'd be prepared to ask since it doesn't seem like pixie dust like that happens based on attached celebrations much any more.

I agree that it was a good idea to move your post over here. All of us over here TOTALLY get why you'd be celebrating this. On some of the other boards, not so much. We get it. You deserve support and your son deserves praise for working harder than most kids have to and succeeding because of that hard work. Other boards are known more prone to negativity and judgemental attitudes.

I would like to get some feedback on what I am thinking of asking a CM before Checkin

I have a special needs son. He has aspergers and learning disabilities. He has a 504 plan, but in our state (LA) he has to pass the standardized state tests the same test as non disabled students. He worked VERY VERY hard this year, he passed 3/4 but failed the math portion. He struggled all year with math. He has to attend summer school and retake the test. If he DOES NOT pass he will be held back in 4th grade again.

HOWEVER if he does pass, i would like to contact the manager at POP, and ask for a special magic moment for my son. Not even sure if they would accommodate this request. But here is what I hope they can do.

When we check in I would like for them to tell my son that they have been waiting for him, and that Mickey Mouse Had stopped by and left something for him. which would be a card telling him congrats on passing the test, and that Mickey knows how hard he worked and how much studying he had done and that Mickey was proud of him. and signed with Mickey's signature.. signature...lol And perhaps a few balloons that they give away at the resorts.

I know to some this may seem over the top for passing a test, but to my son having Mickey acknowledge it would just kick off our WDW vacation in the most magical way.

I think it's great that you want to do something special to acknowledge his hard work! I'd prepare an envelope myself with a letter to my son from Mickey. I'd use something in the "Mickey" colors and sign it myself (you can find lots of "Mickey" signatures online. I may even put in a small gift--a gift card he can use for a souvenir, etc.) You can hand it to him after you check in and say it was waiting for him at the desk. OR You can also look at the in room gift packages from Disney. They're a little pricey, but anything I've gotten from them has been nice.

If you want something for sure then you should arrange it through the Disney florist. The front desk may be able to help you but it depe da o. How busy they are, who is there, etc.
good luck to your son

I had a welcome letter done on the Creative DISigns board. They do a phenomenal job! It can say anything you want it to say and they can do Mickey's signature and pic. I printed mine on photo paper and it looked great!

Then maybe you could (secretly) give it to a CM for delivery and ask about the balloons then!

Good luck to your son on his test!

I agree with going through the Disney florist and it can be waiting in your room. Your experience with a CM or manager at the front desk can be hit or miss.

I agree with the advice above. Arrange something yourself through Disney Florist. Or, if you have another adult with you, you could distract DS at the arcade or elsewhere while the other adult runs to the room to set up a small surprise that you've prepared ahead of time. I want to add my congratulations to your son! I understand what a big deal this is. And good luck on the math portion of the test. pixiedust:

Wow! What a special trip for your son. I will pray that he does well on his test so you guys can really celebrate!

Prayers your little guy passes. I would not count on the CMs, but take care of it your self. After you check in, have your DH or another adult, take DS to see the pool while you have a minute or two to grab something in the gift shop, add your card....and place it in your room. Find them at the pool and then you can all head to the room together. If you child really believes Mickey is real, be sure he wont recognize you hand writing.

Oh yes he would notice the signature. We got them autograph books last year when we were there. He has study those signatures for the last year.

So I have decided instead of when we arrive at check-in, will wait till after we have meet mickey once and in the hustle and bustle of a meet and greet get mickeys signature then. And wait for the perfect time. We are there 14 days it will happen.

Thanks for the ideas.

Actually try checking with the desk about the signature. Sometimes..um...Mickey's in the back...visiting. Yeah..visiting. So they might be able to get you a real signature without the meet and greet.

Oh yes he would notice the signature. We got them autograph books last year when we were there. He has study those signatures for the last year.

So I have decided instead of when we arrive at check-in, will wait till after we have meet mickey once and in the hustle and bustle of a meet and greet get mickeys signature then. And wait for the perfect time. We are there 14 days it will happen.

Thanks for the ideas.

most characters can sign for each other so if you can talk to the handler for let say minnie and have them get her to sign mickey with out him knowing about it. then when you get to mickey talk to the handler and get them in on it. like they could come over and say mickey ask them to hold it and give it to him when he sees. or have the cm have mickey hand it to him and ask them to say something.

Please post an let us know how he did. I'm sure he will do great! Have fun on your trip!!! It's going to be so memorable.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I occasionally like to see what they have at the florist. The 'Triumph' package looks so cool! I bit expensive, though. I may consider it for something big like this. It costs a whopping $275, but I know my kids would be very surprised.
It just so happens that Mickey Mouse heard about the glories of your personal triumph, and couldn't wait to award you with a special recognition! So, he placed a banner over your resort room door to announce your triumph to all who pass by. Inside your resort room he's left a few gifts in honor of this momentous occasion, like a 22" Mickey Mouse plush and a colorful Mickey-themed congratulations box, adorned with a balloon bouquet! And look! Up high. A congratulations pennant hangs on the wall. When you open the congratulations package Mickey has left for you, you will be amazed to find an exclusive My Magical Triumph medal - a treasured symbol of your achievement. Mickey Mouse is cast in relief on one side of this unique medal, while the castle shines on the other; both sides are surrounded by inspiring words to celebrate your personal accomplishment. To enhance your achievement, a personalized declaration that honors your triumph has been placed in a picture frame, signed by the Chief Ear-Officer," Mickey Mouse. And, if you take a peek around, you'll find Tinkerbell's shadow; she's come to sprinkle pixie dust on you! All of this is there not only for you to enjoy now - every piece is meant for you to take home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter