Celebrating special occasions on the ship

snoopy5386

DIS Veteran
We are cruising this fall and the day we debark is my birthday and we embark a few days after my husband's birthday. We're traveling with my in laws and they are also celebrating milestone birthdays this year though not so close to sailing. Still we'd like to celebrate all these birthdays on the cruise. How do we let Disney know? Also has anyone ever ordered their specialty birthday cakes? Is it worth it? Are they good or are we better off just eating the "free" desserts? What happens to the cake if you can't finish it at dinner, can you bring it back to your stateroom?

We celebrated my wife's birthday last spring on the Dream. I told the DCL agent when I called a couple of weeks before the cruise to make a few requests, and she asked me which evening we wanted to celebrate. That evening on the cruise, our dining staff brought a small extra dessert (no extra charge), and they sang Happy Birthday.

I ordered a small cake when we sailed on DH's birthday last year. We were allowed to bring the leftovers to the room. It wasn't the best cake but it was good, and having it was more about acknowledging the day.
11202810_10207745129530341_3639195480132790649_n.jpg

We are cruising this fall and the day we debark is my birthday and we embark a few days after my husband's birthday. We're traveling with my in laws and they are also celebrating milestone birthdays this year though not so close to sailing. Still we'd like to celebrate all these birthdays on the cruise. How do we let Disney know? Also has anyone ever ordered their specialty birthday cakes? Is it worth it? Are they good or are we better off just eating the "free" desserts? What happens to the cake if you can't finish it at dinner, can you bring it back to your stateroom?
You can have all the celebrations noted on your reservation. It's also a good idea to make sure your head server is aware of the celebrations. The person(s) celebrating (whatever) will receive a It's my Birthday button, or anniversary, or general I'm celebrating button at dinner (but you can pick them up earlier in the day at Guest Services if you wish).
birthday buttons magic 2010.png
anniversary button wonder 2012 25148 100_7273 1500.jpg

Also they get a special celebration dessert (a chocolate-mousse type cake)
birthday mousse royal court fantasy 2014  20140 P1030283 1500.jpg

And the servers will sing their rendition of Happy Birthday (or anniversary).

I boarded the Fantasy on my birthday last week. I did get a celebration button. I was also wearing a tiara and a t-shirt that stated it was my birthday. I watched a woman at the table next to me receive a lot of attention from the servers for her birthday, but I got nothing. She had evidently ordered a celebration cake. The head server came to our table at the end of our dinner and said they did not celebrate my birthday because half of my party had left (Dramamine hit them hard). He asked when we could celebrate, but it never happened. The staff at Palo did send down a plate with "Happy Birthday" and a red rose after our dinner there.

As long as your birthday is 6 months before or after your cruise you can celebrate it. :teeth:

First, call DCL and tell them what you're celebrating (you can also add it to your reservation online, but I prefer to call). On the first night in the MDR check with your head server to verify they are aware of your celebration and arrange what night(s) you want to celebrate. On our first Disney cruise we sat with two other couples and during the week we celebrated 4 birthdays, an anniversary, and a retirement.

If DW an I take a cruise between January and March, we celebrate our birthdays, and if in the Fall, we celebrate our anniversary. We just get the complimentary dessert.

Last edited:
Cool! We are celebrating our wedding anniversary the day we board and I didn't think of telling them! I want a badge just to keep as a souvenir and wear on every anniversary!
We're also celebrating my daughters 3rd birthday on the last night so need to get one for that too!

You can decorate your door for your daughter's birthday!!!
OK, now that you've gotten your 10 posts, it does take the system a little while (30-60 minutes) to recognize the fact and enable the conversation feature on your account.

I'm currently sitting here making magnets for our daughter's birthday and then I'm going to make one for our wedding anniversary!

Does anyone know if the on board shops offer gift wrapping? I was kind of hoping to just buy her a few bits and bobs and get them to wrap them for us. Should I be taking some gift wrap and cellotape with me?

TIA

I'm currently sitting here making magnets for our daughter's birthday and then I'm going to make one for our wedding anniversary!

Does anyone know if the on board shops offer gift wrapping? I was kind of hoping to just buy her a few bits and bobs and get them to wrap them for us. Should I be taking some gift wrap and cellotape with me?

TIA
I'm not sure they do any gift wrapping. It's probably a good idea to bring along at least a gift bag and tissue paper (much easier than actually wrapping stuff).

My wife told them at Palo it was my birthday they made a real fuss and sent a cake. Plus the person with the violin keep hoovering over us lol.

We celebrated my DH's 60th birthday on B2B cruises last Nov. Since our departure day was n his actual birthday, I ordered a cake ahead of time to be delivered at dinner the first night. I had the option to have it delivered at dinner or to the room. It was a carrot cake with white choc filling. We took it back to the room and cut it up to fit in the fridge where we ate it for the rest of the week. It as OK but not a lot of flavor.
image.jpg25_zpsur5dvfzr.jpg

My daughter who joined us on the first leg of the cruise, posted this on our door. Hubby got a lot of comments from people who saw it during the week.

image.jpg10_zpsrwbbnz8j.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter