Celebrating Legacies, Love, and Jalapeno Pretzels: Anniversary TR (Replies 6/12)

Yes, that's a whirlwind trip! No you're not crazy. I'd do it!
I have a friend who will be there at the same time for (fair warning!) a national cheerleading competition!

I can't believe you're doing an Epcot-centric trip with no plans for Soarin!

Great plans! Hope you both are not too tired by the end of the trip though I can understand wanting to fit everything into the time you have available! :rotfl:

I have to agree with trying to fit Soarin into your plans as it is an amazing ride.

Your plans are great!! So jealous!!!

Turning 40 at Disney was sooo cool~ and we were there for Disney's 40th on 10/1, my bday is 9/30! That was really special!

Love it! Great ideas to get everything in. I think going to AK on day one is an excellent idea, and doing the other 3 parks on other days. Since you are concentrating on EPCOT, and it is really easy to move between MK and EP and HS and EP, your plans should totally work!

Now back to me. You talk about the butlers. Have you stayed at this specific resort (Las Casitas) or have you experienced them at other locations.

Great plans for your Feb. trip! I love the idea of an "Epcot heavy" trip...actually, all of my trips are pretty Epcot heavy! :thumbsup2 Everywhere you're eating sounds amazing, sounds like it will be a really fun, tiring trip! :rotfl:

Okay, I'm all caught up. :)

Love the fact that you accomplished riding all three mountains before 12pm. That's the best part about going in September. It's so light on crowds.

LOVE the Phantom reference! I used to listen to the original Broadway recording religiously. I caught your reference immediately. It may also be because I know that entire sequence by heart! :lovestruc

Yes, that's a whirlwind trip! No you're not crazy. I'd do it!
I have a friend who will be there at the same time for (fair warning!) a national cheerleading competition!

I can't believe you're doing an Epcot-centric trip with no plans for Soarin!

Yeah, we found out about the Cheering competition a month ago, :cheer2: and while I admit I'm not keen on lots of cheers in line I have heard that most of the time the kids are actually competing, and hanging out at their respective hotels (thankfully NOT the Contemporary.:rotfl2:)

The funny thing is I really didn't like Soarin... *ducks*..... I mean, it was a nice ride, but it didn't quite live up to the hype. We've decided if we have time we'll give it a go, but it's not a priority for us on this trip. Perhaps when we go back in October for a bit longer we'll have a chance.

Great plans! Hope you both are not too tired by the end of the trip though I can understand wanting to fit everything into the time you have available! :rotfl:

I have to agree with trying to fit Soarin into your plans as it is an amazing ride.

I'm starting to think I should take the day off after the trip from work to recover!:goodvibes

Your plans are great!! So jealous!!!

Turning 40 at Disney was sooo cool~ and we were there for Disney's 40th on 10/1, my bday is 9/30! That was really special!

Yay! That's so cool you both got to celebrate there! I heard the 40th Celebration was crazy, but outside of the not-so-different Fireworks, it was a really magical experience. I'm just not sure I could have handled the crowds....:eek:

Love it! Great ideas to get everything in. I think going to AK on day one is an excellent idea, and doing the other 3 parks on other days. Since you are concentrating on EPCOT, and it is really easy to move between MK and EP and HS and EP, your plans should totally work!

Now back to me. You talk about the butlers. Have you stayed at this specific resort (Las Casitas) or have you experienced them at other locations.

Hahahaha... I love that! "Back to me...":rotfl2:

We have not stayed there at Las Casitas (though I have to look it up now, sounds amazing) but we did have Butler service at a few domestic hotels, notably MGM Grand in Vegas.

They. Are. Awesome.

Basically a personal concierge. Need tea? A drink? Someone to (I kid you not) run the bath for you then leave? (and no, didn't take advantage of that)

For us, we were unpacked before we even got to our room, Joel made sure we had all dinner reservations we needed (and offered to call over to other Hotels to get tables for clubs, etc.) and made sure our favorite drinks/coffee were stocked.

The thing I know a lot of people love butler service for is shopping. You can literally give them a list and say "please get these" and it will all be waiting for you when you get back, with a receipt.

Now, the kicker is, this is WAY more for high-rollers (which I am decidedly NOT) than normal people. But...if they come with the room, take advantage! Get that ressie you wanted but couldn't stand waiting for, have the beach area chairs set up for you, ask for the coffee to be made at 9am..... etc.

Great plans for your Feb. trip! I love the idea of an "Epcot heavy" trip...actually, all of my trips are pretty Epcot heavy! :thumbsup2 Everywhere you're eating sounds amazing, sounds like it will be a really fun, tiring trip! :rotfl:

Thanks!:goodvibes I'm getting super excited! Now the only thing I have to worry about is the weather here!

Okay, I'm all caught up. :)

Love the fact that you accomplished riding all three mountains before 12pm. That's the best part about going in September. It's so light on crowds.

LOVE the Phantom reference! I used to listen to the original Broadway recording religiously. I caught your reference immediately. It may also be because I know that entire sequence by heart! :lovestruc

I seemed to think when I was younger I'd be on stage playing the role of Christine one day. That was before I understood how expensive it was to put on a production of an ALW show. Closest I got was Eliza in My Fair Lady. I was always more of a guttersnipe anyway ;)

Chapter Twelve
In which our heroine FINALLY finishes talking about Day 2....

To start, dear readers, I have been remiss! I forgot to mention our experience on the Stitch’s Great Escape! We decided since Mike had never had a chance to ride it before, we’d give it a go.

Yes. It’s still terrible.:headache:

Moving on…..

We traveled back to the Yacht Club, to find an industrial fan in our room. The positive? The carpets had been well and truly cleaned. (Our room simply reeked of cleaner). The negative? The floors were damp and it was a very loud fan.:rolleyes: We decided to grab quick showers and just head back to Epcot for the rest of the day.

We also had this little gem, a super cute towel animal hanging out with Buddha and Chester!

IMG_0373.jpg

I thought this was a cute way to incorporate our “friends” into a little bit of pixie dust!

On our way out, we stopped by the CL lounge and had a quick snack along with a beer. The room was crowded, but not painfully so, and we found a nice table on the balcony and chatted about our trip so far. I took a few pictures of the offerings in the Lounge:

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

The Egg Rolls were pretty good, but I learned very quickly if something comes in a triangle of pastry dough EAT IT!:lmao: These red pepper goat cheese lovelies were so good. I ate 5. I’m not ashamed to admit that. Not one bit.

We finally just walked over to Epcot and wandered through the UK and Canada shops, then sat down for a while to listen to Off Kilter play. I managed to take a video, which is fun just for the choice of song, but the quality sounded a lot better in person. I would highly recommend checking these guys out, especially when they go Nova Scotia / Scotland style with the bagpipes and the fiddle!

(Hopefully this works, I haven’t attached a video before…let me know if it doesn’t and I’ll troubleshoot the link)

Soon it was time for our dinner at Le Cellier. To read all about it, check out our dining review HERE.

It was a great dinner, and we were quite full afterward! The park had pretty much shut down for the evening once we had left the restaurant, as we missed Illuminations. (Felt it at least, the whole place shook once or twice!)
We found out that morning that the Magic Kingdom was running EMH in the evening and we thought it would be a great idea to wander around the park at night, something Mike had never done and I only once in the past. We had to run quickly though to catch the monorail (that whole one hour after park closing thing) and got on one of the last trains to TTC.

My first trip back on the Monorail! How exciting! I know it’s old and run down and in desperate need of renovation, but the monorail IS Disney to me. There was the most adorable kid on there as well, she was about 4 and constantly chanted the New Orleans Saints’ cheer or led a rousing rendition of “Yo ho Yo Ho a pirates life…” Four years old. And, for 10 at night, not falling apart, that’s a bonus!:lmao:

We reached TTC and I rushed to the MK platform….to find it closed.:scared1:

Oh yeah. An hour after NORMAL park closing. Whoops. At first I was bummed, then I realized this meant we got to ride on the Ferry boat to MK. I have never done this before, a new experience! It was a whole new perspective riding across the lagoon in the dark, and offered up a very unique picture of the Magic Kingdom. I would highly recommend this to anyone who hasn’t tried it before. Who knew Space Mountain was quite so large!

I took some great (ha!) pictures….ok not at all, but this one does look pretty cool:

100_0413.jpg

(that line in the front is another ferry boat……)

We made it over and through the turnstiles, right into a complete mass of people leaving! As we made our way through the tunnels, Mike quipped “And now you see the salmon, swimming upstream as they do each September.” That’s what it felt like. Total nightmare. I think next time we do EMH we’ll make sure to arrive a bit before or well after normal park closing hours. Once we emerged onto Main Street, things were much less hectic, and I flagged down a Photopass photographer or two. Or three. I also learned that it is absolutely impossible for me to stand still for night shots, and had one photographer yell at me about it (rightly so!).

Photo0034FourBySix-1.jpg

(My favorite of the pictures… not the best castle color…but look, once again NO PEOPLE! Woo hoo!)

We walked over to Liberty Square, snapping this shot on the way:

100_0417.jpg

First off was the Haunted Mansion, which is so much fun at night, but I was very bummed there were no Photopass Photographers there at the time. I would think night time shots there are much more popular. Oh well, perhaps another time! We also rode BTMR, which is perhaps my favorite night ride in MK. As you climb the main hill and look up, the sky is a mass of stars and you feel as if you’re in an Arizona desert. Then you turn your head and see Cinderella Castle. Surreal.:love:

After that we walked over to Splash Mountain. The standby time was posted as 20 minutes. We figured why not and walked in. That number must have been old, because we (in my case quite literally:woohoo:) danced right onto the ride! I love how happy the music is in there. That’s my excuse. The cocktail had NOTHING to do with it….:rolleyes1

We sat down and I had a small moment of panic, our lap bar locked into place, but not all the way. Immediately I decided against putting my hands up due to a quite irrational fear that I’d fall out, and when it came time for the big “drop” into the brier patch, Mike just leaned in and kissed me to shut me up. :lovestruc

When we got off the ride, we saw this at the photopass booth:

Photo0036FourBySix-1.jpg

Needless to say Disney got a little bit more of my money that night.

We made a quick trip over to POTC afterward and when the CM saw our Anniversary buttons he gave us the “Love seat” in the back. Too cute! If you have a button, WEAR IT, you never know what little perk you might get!:thumbsup2

Eventually we realized how tired we were and made our way back to the MK Entrance. I really felt the magic walking down Main Street at night, what a wonderful way to end our second day!

Coming soon, a day OTHER than day 2!!!

Fantastic update.

And my first photo theft!!! I don't have any YC Concierge photos up on thread, so with your permission, I would like to add the ones you have posted. Let me know if you have any objections.

That's cool that you headed over to MK after your dinner. Even with the travel hiccups. GREAT photo of you two in front of the castle with no other peeps!

The Splash Mountain photo was also worthy for purchase. So cute!

The funny thing is I really didn't like Soarin... *ducks*..... I mean, it was a nice ride, but it didn't quite live up to the hype. We've decided if we have time we'll give it a go, but it's not a priority for us on this trip. Perhaps when we go back in October for a bit longer we'll have a chance.
I have to agree with you. I like it, but I don't think it lives up to they hype and isn't worth a wait more than 30 mins. My DH doesn't care for it. It disappoints me that they left it so California-centric.

Loving the report! You make me want to try YC CL.

I love Off Kilter and make my family stop to hear them every time we go.

Best. Splash picture. Ever!

Great trip report so far! you two are a cute couple!:thumbsup2

So sorry about your room drama but glad to hear after your trip you spoke with someone who cared.

Can't wait to read more!

Great trip report so far! you two are a cute couple!:thumbsup2

So sorry about your room drama but glad to hear after your trip you spoke with someone who cared.

Can't wait to read more!

Awww, THANK YOU!:hug: My overweight self really appreciates kind comments like that :goodvibes

Loving the report! You make me want to try YC CL.

I love Off Kilter and make my family stop to hear them every time we go.

Best. Splash picture. Ever!

I'm looking forward to heading back to YC CL in October...we'll see how we like CR first, but I suspect it will eventually become our home base. :)

We worked Off Kilter into our plan for next month, they are just so fun. We never got a chance to check out the British cover band, have you heard them? Any good?:confused3

I have to agree with you. I like it, but I don't think it lives up to they hype and isn't worth a wait more than 30 mins. My DH doesn't care for it. It disappoints me that they left it so California-centric.

Yeah, that and for some reason, even dangling so far up in the air, I never really got the flying sensation. Maybe something wrong with my eyes!:3dglasses We went to see Beauty and the Beast in 3D last night and loved it, but I find sometimes my eyes don't focus quick enough for the film.

Fantastic update.

And my first photo theft!!! I don't have any YC Concierge photos up on thread, so with your permission, I would like to add the ones you have posted. Let me know if you have any objections.

That's cool that you headed over to MK after your dinner. Even with the travel hiccups. GREAT photo of you two in front of the castle with no other peeps!

The Splash Mountain photo was also worthy for purchase. So cute!

Steal away my dear! :goodvibes I'm only sorry I didn't get more pictures for you!:guilty:

We'll see how it goes on our next trip, but I'm starting to think Evening EMH in MK are a perfect way for adults to get all the rides in with lower crowds! The kids we ran into we all super well behaved as well. I was expecting the meltdowns to be everywhere, but nope...just smiling happy faces!:wizard:

That Splash Mountain pictures is AMAZING!! I can't believe that was spontaneous. I don't think it could've looked better if you had planned it. BTW, the lap bar is totally new! For years, everyone riding Splash was just fine with no lap bar! You wouldn't have flown out! :lmao:

We worked Off Kilter into our plan for next month, they are just so fun. We never got a chance to check out the British cover band, have you heard them? Any good?:confused3
I did get to hear the new British cover band when we were there in December. My niece and I were doing a UK KimPossible mission while they were playing. I thought they were good, but I didn't like the music as well as I liked the previous Beatles cover band that was there in Sept 2010. I kinda hate that their contract was up. :(

That Splash Mountain pictures is AMAZING!! I can't believe that was spontaneous. I don't think it could've looked better if you had planned it. BTW, the lap bar is totally new! For years, everyone riding Splash was just fine with no lap bar! You wouldn't have flown out! :lmao:

I'm glad to know that for future rides. Having been on ToT back when it was just a lap bar and sitting by a larger individual, I have a bit of fear on those rides.:goodvibes

It probably wouldn't have happened if we planned it! We tried and tried and tried on other rides (notably Test Track, since you can add it to your photopass "free" of charge) and failed every time. To make it more amusing, though, here was how our conversation went on Splash:

"We're going to fall out."

"It's fine."

"No, look, I'll slip through the bar!"

"Shush"

"Miiiikkeeee"

"Shaddup!"

"Look the FSU bunny!"

*pause*

"OMG WERE GOING TO DIE!"

...and then he kissed me.

:rotfl2:

I did get to hear the new British cover band when we were there in December. My niece and I were doing a UK KimPossible mission while they were playing. I thought they were good, but I didn't like the music as well as I liked the previous Beatles cover band that was there in Sept 2010. I kinda hate that their contract was up. :(

Yeah, I was really looking forward to seeing them, then realized things had changed. I'll let you know what we think of the new band after this trip!:thumbsup2

Hi there! I just found your TR this weekend and I'm loving it. Looking forward to the next update.

Yay, and :welcome: So glad you found the TR! We'll see if I can update 7 more days worth of stuff before our next trip.... hahah. Yeah, that's so not going to happen.:goodvibes

On a real life note, we spent most of the snowy / icy weekend redecorating our loft into usable space and I didn't have a chance to upload more pictures. Going to take care of that tonight so....Next update should come tomorrow!:thumbsup2

Chapter Thirteen

In which our heroine sleeps in. Kinda.

After such a jam packed Sunday we decided to go ahead and sleep in today. I still woke up fairly early (7!:laughing:), and took some time out on the balcony to write up the previous day. It was quite muggy out, a real change from the two days before and a sign I was sure of things to come. Not a lot of sun in the sky either, so my plan of sunrise pictures didn’t manifest itself quite yet.

I haven’t mentioned the construction going on at YC at the time of our visit, though it was a very hot topic on the boards leading up to our stay. Here was my opinion of it: No big deal. Granted, that’s because I didn’t have THIS on my balcony:

100_0527.jpg

I suspect if that was the case, I would have asked for a different room. The construction crew didn’t really get started on things until after we were up and about (around 9-10 am) and were typically done before 5, for those who wanted a late afternoon nap before dinner. Again, it was pretty much a non-issue for us, and as long as we looked straight forward, we never even saw it!

100_0528.jpg

(looking down from our balcony…granted, it’s not like the roof would have been any nicer without the construction stuff…..)

Our plan for this day pretty much involved wandering around Epcot, though we had learned the day before that friends of ours were also at Disney the same weekend and wanted to meet up. We tentatively planned to meet them after dinner in DTD, and to check out the DHS EMH in the evening if things fell through.

Another trip to the CL lounge provided me with a lovely croissant and Mike with… wait… what? He got a hard-boiled egg for our walk to Epcot?:rotfl2: I can only imagine the site we made, each walking with a coffee and a napkin, him eating his egg on the go. I don’t know, it made me giggle somehow.

BTW, for those of you who are wondering what the walk from YC/BC is like to the International Gateway entrance? It’s lovely and not strenuous at all. There is even a little path under the bridge that keeps you off any “hills”! (Also a nice little romantic walk complete with friendly lizards.

100_0423.jpg

(Forgive the camera fog; unfortunately the lens hadn’t regulated let temperature and humidity wise.)

Epcot seemed much busier today than it had previously, though the crowds were still fairly low and comfortable. We started by wandering through an empty UK taking some silly pictures on the way and just enjoying the morning. Some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

100_0426.jpg

(Again, I love the details here… so pretty and quaint!)

100_0428.jpg

(Mike, recreating/making fun of my Cinderella Castle pose.)

100_0433.jpg

(He did look a bit like a bodyguard with those Oakleys on….though it would have been hilarious if a CM came through the door as he was standing there!)

100_0440.jpg

100_0446.jpg

(The Dr. Who references are….well…there. Ha.)

100_0447.jpg

(The little coffee stand, “Espresso Coffee and Pastries”, between UK and Canada, apparently there were some alcoholic choices for your morning cuppa. We declined this time…. But I must say the coffee here in general is rather good, considering.)

We started off by walking over to Soarin’ and getting FPs for later in the day. I was really excited to give this ride a try, as it was yet another that had been added to Epcot since my last visit.

100_0453.jpg

(Wow, the FPs must go FAST here… no pun intended. I think we picked these up around 10 AM)

Since we were there, we decided to ride Living with the Land. This is actually one of those “educational” rides that I rather loved as a kid. I was interested to see how it had been updated, and how much stayed the same.

100_0456.jpg

(From the queue, I adore this quote!)

I think I forgot to take pictures, but the ride was just as nice as I remembered, and I love how the growing techniques that were so “new” back in the 80s have taken off on a lot of levels and still used today. The fact that they provide a large amount of food for the parks itself is a nice touch!

After that we quite frankly wandered through Innoventions and made our way to the Big Golf Ball™ where both I and the Photopass photographer took a few pictures!

My picture:
100_0460.jpg

His “picture”….

Apparently he turned it to the video setting. Thankfully he also used his camera:

Photo0038FourBySix.jpg

(I just love how bright and blue the sky was getting!)

We went up and got in line for Spaceship Earth, the other ride I was furious about the changes made to!

100_0464.jpg

This is only because I adore Jeremy Irons’ voice. Adore. Madame Dench is a wonderful actress, but I am still protesting the change.:mad:

Probably enough for one post… up next, Mission trynottopukewhileinspace. Orange. :sick:

Chapter Fourteen
In which we get a little queasy, and a little electric!

Our trip continued with a stop to see what Coca Cola had to offer:

100_0470.jpg

Whatever you do, do not drink Beverly. It is the bad flavored Bertie Bot Bean. It is evil. It will not leave anything but a nasty taste in your mouth.

I shiver just remembering it….

Escaping from that we walked over to the last of the “new” rides we were going to try at Epcot, Mission Space!

100_0471.jpg

(got to love the low crowds!)

The question, of course, is which ride to choose?: Orange or Green?

100_0473.jpg

Mike had the answer!

100_0474.jpg

I was a bit nervous, mostly because of the CONSTANT warnings the queuing area gives you. Seriously, they warn you left and right not to ride Orange if you pretty much breathe! My thoughts on the ride itself, AWESOME! My thoughts on getting off the ride (and subsequently becoming extremely nauseous) not-so-awesome. I felt fine during the ride (if a bit confined… claustrophobia and all…) but for some reason my illness kicked in while we were walking back into the sun. This happened each time we rode during our stay (about 3 times I think…) and while I didn’t get ill, I didn’t really feel 100% for a while either. :sick:

On the way out we grabbed a FP for Test Track and walked back into the World Showcase. We stopped over at the China Tea Cart to try something I spied on the DIS before our trip. The Mango Gingerita.

Here is a picture of the lovely drink in all its gingery goodness:

100_0477.jpg

(insert heavenly voices singing here.)

This thing is amazing, if you love ginger. There are little bits of chewy goodness in each sip. That may sound gross but trust me, super yummy! I’m honestly torn between this and the Grey Goose Slushie as my favorite Epcot drink. :lovestruc

We wandered a bit through Germany, and Mike bought a new pair of trainers for the trip. (He was having issues with his sandals) Found a decent pair of Adidas (on sale!) and I picked up a little mini-stein for a souvenir.

On next to Italy, and a quick stop to the perfume shop where we found new “Stink” for Mike, WAY cheaper than at home. I wonder if shopping in some of these Epcot shops is akin to duty free? It’s strange, because the bottle of Prada cologne we bought for him was easily 30 dollars cheaper than the same bottle back here in Virginia. They also gave me enough samples to fill up two antique perfume bottles back home!

We were about ready for our lunch at Tutto Italia (Read our review HERE), but we caught a performance from these lovely funny ladies just before that. (Forgive me I forget the group’s name!)

100_0479.jpg

I think Italy is a lovely pavilion, though it may not have an “attraction”, per se. Just a few pictures:

100_0483.jpg

100_0505.jpg

100_0506.jpg

We walked back around towards Mexico where we did some window shopping and Mike found a fun Donald hat that neither of us would ever consider wearing, but for some strange reason deserved a picture:

100_0507.jpg

Quick ride on Test Track then walked back across to use our Soarin’ FPs. I have already gone through my thoughts on this ride, but again, I’ll say it was OK, but not something I’d really wait in a long line for and not something I’d put on my must see list. Just a personal preference I guess. :confused3

Then over to the Imagination Pavilion and took some pictures of the fountains:

100_0510.jpg

While doing this, we took a picture of THIS as well:

100_0512.jpg

(Uh oh….)

100_0513.jpg

(Yes, I know if I had actually stopped taking pictures of the clouds I might have had time to put my poncho on and seek shelter.)

I swear this thing rolled up before anyone had a chance to even notice it. NASTY storm. Lightning all over the place. Got our ponchos out of the bag and on just in time to avoid a major soaking and made our way back over to the Yacht Club. Even WITH the ponchos we were pretty much sopping wet and of course, it stopped raining just as we were getting ready to walk inside. Typical.

We dripped our way back up to our room to find our dear Buddha and Chester in an interesting setup:

100_0514.jpg

100_0515.jpg

I think we had the first penguin/otter wedding ever staged at Disney.

The swans were really lovely though!

100_0517.jpg

100_0519.jpg

Then, walking out onto the balcony, we caught THIS!

100_0520.jpg

(yay, rainbows!)

100_0523.jpg

It was already fading but such a pretty sky, all the same!

While I’m at it, I’ll share a few views from our room (#5219):

100_0524.jpg

100_0526.jpg

100_0531.jpg

I walked down to the CL Lounge and picked up a plate of snacks and a few drinks for the room where we just lounged about for a few hours and read, then we got ready for what was going to be another busy night!

Great update! I had no idea you could buy sneakers at Epcot! I love the navy coverlet on your beds. I don't think we had those when we stayed at the YC...perhaps it's a CL thing? (But it's been a few years and maybe they've changed things...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter