• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Celebrating birthdays 3 months later?

Thank you for understanding what I'm trying to say :). What you wrote above is precisely us...it's for fun *for us* and making fun memories *for us*. it isn't about other people in any way shape or form.

My husband will tell you when I get to WDW, I'm like a kid again. I've even been known to skip down Main Street, or in Fantasyland, just like I did as a little girl. I'm sure some would say that isn't appropriate for a "grown adult" either, but I really don't care. It's another expression of the childlike joy I feel being in my favorite place. The joy of being in one place in the world where I *don't* care what other people are thinking, where I can just be free of worries for a little while and escape reality for a just a little bit.

My best memory from that trip (however short it was) was my BIL trying to toss me and my sister off the barrel bridge on Tom Sawyer Island lol Everyone is a kid at Disney!

Maybe you shouldn't act like you know everyone's motive for why they do something.

I think he's secretly...

51Dn6CAKAlL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My best memory from that trip (however short it was) was my BIL trying to toss me and my sister off the barrel bridge on Tom Sawyer Island lol Everyone is a kid at Disney!

lol, that's awesome! It also totally sounds like something my brother would do :D

I think it's pretty clear what the answer is, Disney allows it. Some agree with doing it and some don't, and there's one poster who thinks anyone who wears a button when it isn't really their birthday has some kind of mental disorder, but that's the only reply of that type here. so since Disney allows it, it's up to you what you do about celebrating.

I "celebrated" my 30th (July birthday) in September at DLR, the reason I celebrated was that my gifts I was given on my birthday were for the trip-my dining at BB, the WIWF tour, the F! dessert seating and staying onsite were things I had always wanted to do and never justified the cost, I didnt however treat the whole trip as my birthday celebration (not in the least because it was actually DD's Bday one of the days)

OP: Do whatever works for you. If you were planning something for DS's bday then I would still do that, it is your families celebration do it anyway you want. We have always planned to celebrate it the way we wanted(booking BBB, ordering a cake etc) and not expected any pixie dust

So it all boils down to the fact that we need Disney to make 2 buttons "I'm celebrating my birthday" and "Its actually my birthday today"

So it all boils down to the fact that we need Disney to make 2 buttons "I'm celebrating my birthday" and "Its actually my birthday today"

This is great. We have a few buttons from years ago from Downtown Disney. "TODAY is my birthday!" I'm guessing they stopped giving these out though. :rotfl:

They used to (might still) hand out buttons that said "I'm celebrating _____" and literally had you fill in the blank with a sharpie. And let's not forget this company popularized the unbirthday! I say do what you want with the buttons. lol.

You can also seek attention without EXPECTING the attention. I think that is the point in response.

You may not expect attention, but you want it, otherwise you would put the button in your bag where nobody can see it.

Please re-read the last sentence, now replace " put the button in your bag " with the words " take your fingers off the keyboard ".

For someone who proclaims to know human nature and behaviors, can't you see these traits in yourself ?

This is great. We have a few buttons from years ago from Downtown Disney. "TODAY is my birthday!" I'm guessing they stopped giving these out though. :rotfl:
We have a couple of those too! I think they changed them when they started the "Celebrate Everything" promo (or whatever it was called!).

ETA: Here's a picture

To the OP....it's definitely not frowned upon. Personally, it feels weird to my family wearing a button when it's not your birthday. Get the buttons and wear them if it feels right for you. You may find it feels weird for you too. You never know until you try. :goodvibes Enjoy your trip!

To Alvernon90.....I have enjoyed reading your posts. :) You've made some interesting points in this discussion. Thanks for that! :thumbsup2

My opinion isn't going to be popular, but I also don't see the point of wearing a birthday button if it's not your birthday. DS celebrated his birthday at Disney one year. He wore the button on his actual birthday only, and really enjoyed the attention he received. I also spent my birthday at Disney last year, but I took the button off after an hour because I'd heard enough birthday wishes.

Every guest is entitled to do what they want, but I feel the specialness of having your birthday at Disney has diminished because every third person wears a button. If you are celebrating something I think the celebrating button should be sufficient. The only exception is a honeymoon because not everyone goes on their honeymoon right after they are married.

Please re-read the last sentence, now replace " put the button in your bag " with the words " take your fingers off the keyboard ".

For someone who proclaims to know human nature and behaviors, can't you see these traits in yourself ?

Am I the only person who is no longer allowed to participate in this discussion, or are you banning others as well?

I think it's odd that previous posters think it cheapens things when everyone is celebrating something, but I actually think it makes everything more jolly. On our trip in October, I actually told my husband that I loved how everyone is celebrating and happy.

I think it's odd that previous posters think it cheapens things when everyone is celebrating something, but I actually think it makes everything more jolly. On our trip in October, I actually told my husband that I loved how everyone is celebrating and happy.

That is a lovely way to think. I wish I thought more like you. :goodvibes

What soured me was wishing people happy birthday when I saw their buttons. Some people looked at me strangely (maybe they didn't speak English?) but most people said, well, it really isn't my birthday, which kind of ended the conversation on a strange note. Maybe, I just wasn't asking the right people? Anyways, I stopped congratulating people after awhile because it was bring me down. :(

So if you're going to wear a button and it's not your birthday, just smile politely and say Thanks! :)

No way, of course not.

I have a big Birthday coming up in January. BUT, it's cooler then and I would rather visit at a better time for us....so we are going in April instead to celebrate. Even when placing my dining reservations, the CMs encouraged me to let them know and to get my Birthday button. Even though it is months after my actual Birthday. It is the point of our trip.

Rarely have I seen so many people allow their buttons to get pushed by a single poster. Quite an impressive job :thumbsup2.

I think I've told this story here before, but it's worth repeating on these threads.

I graduated from high school in 2011. I was homeschooled so my ceremony was in north Alabama, far from where I live. If anyone remembers, there were really bad tornadoes in April of that year. The place that I was going to have my graduation was destroyed and my graduation moved from May to July and then finally cancelled altogether. My mom, sister, and I were set to leave for Disney World the DAY after my graduation. Obviously we went anyway because thousands of dollars ya know!

My point? I never actually had my graduation! Even if I had at the later date, we would have ended up celebrating a couple months before. We still went, we all wore Celebration buttons, I still never got my graduation, and clearly the world did not end.

I am now set to graduate from college in May of 2015 and since I am going straight into a Masters program I will not be able to take my traditional post-graduation Disney World trip (it's become a thing in our family to go to Disney after a graduation). I think if I get to go later though, I will still celebrate! Because celebrating is about acknowledging a special thing that happened!! Technically, a birthday only happens once so EVERY celebration after is not ON the birthday!! Celebrate when you want, it makes no difference!!

Happy...happiness!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter