• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Celbrating the Triplets' 13th at WDW! Family of 6 ..1st trip..some kosher needs..fun!

HermanTriplets+1

DIS Veteran
Dear DIS friends,
After a solid 6 months of using this amazing forum to plan our trip (and plan I did!!!) I feel that I have to tell you all about it and give back to the group. Hope it's not too boring - but since you guys are probably like me, I guess it won't be!! SO here goes. Introduction.

We are a family of 6, triplets celebrated 13 on this trip (girl/boy/girl - let's call them DTr1/DTr2/DTr3) younger brother singleton child age 10 1/2 (DS10), and us the parents. I am 45 and American grew up in NJ/NY area, married a South African Israeli - DH (he was raised in Israel) and we have lived in Israel for the past 10 years. We come back to the States every year to visit my family but usually don't take the time or money to travel around much. When the kids were really little and would ask about Disney we would knock it off by saying "Yeah, we'll do that for your bar mitzvah (age 13)". That was sort of like saying "yeah whenever". But they didn't forget, and truth be known neither did I. I've been waiting for this chance since my last visit at age 10 when it was only Magic Kingdom and River Country! So about a year ago I figured out that the kids' Israeli winter vacation would come earlier than the States' Christmas vacation this year - the year of their 13th birthday. It was meant to be!!

At first I was very overwhelmed by the planning. I started with the Disney site and registered to receive their free planning CD, which I actually never used, but that got me on some good mailing lists. I started to read and read, most of all on the official Disney site (www.disneyworld.disney.go.com), and the DIS site, and Mousesavers (www.mousesavers.com). I broke it down for myself into stages, so that's what I'll do here, too:

When to go: I knew when the kids' school break was, and I figured that we wanted to get there before the Christmas holidays. I found the Unofficial Guide (UG) to Walt Disney World to be extremely helpful as well as the other sites. First I figured out when "value season" was from the Disney site. With that in mind, I looked at crowd flow charts on the UG and decided that we would go from Dec 12 - 16 (we needed to be in NJ on the 18th). OK dates decided.

Where to stay: This was, of course, a biggie. First decision was on-site vs. off-site. Off-site broke down further into "really off site", i.e. need to rent a car, vs. "off-site but nearby with shuttles", mostly Downtown Disney area. I looked at some lovely condos with lots of space and their own pool - around 10 - 20 minute drive from WDW. But we decided that we wanted to simplify and not deal with a car (we need a big one) or driving/parking. Next we looked at the DTD and nearby non-official places like Buena Vista Resorts. Also very nice and appealing. Good price (we were looking at suites or 2 rooms). They had a good deal for dining - but only for a family of up to 4, and we are not such a family. Still, attractive. What gave us cold feet was more worrying about the shuttle. It wouldn't be "Disney Transportation" but a private shuttle bus, and not on a super-frequent schedule. Started looking "inside Disney". i.e. onsite. Two rooms seemed too expensive no matter where onsite. If you haven't figured this out yet, we were after good price/not fancy but not "cheapie". Looked at the suite at Coronado Springs Resort - loved it! And the family suite at the All Star Music. THEN, got an e-mail from Disney Destinations (I think I got on their e-mail list by registering with WDW or Mousesavers) with a PIN number for free dining! This was before the Disney free dining became availabe and was not dependent on value/moderate/deluxe designation of the resort. That clinched it for us! On-site, All Star Music Resort family suite, Disney Dining Plan free! YAHOOOOOOO! SO I called Disney Destinations and they were of course lovely and courteous, and I booked Dec 12 - 16 at ASM with free basic dining plan (not quick service). We took the base ticket for the parks, without the park hopper. Figured that in 5 days we'd have enough to see and do with one park a day. And we took the 5 day ticket though we were there for 4 nights because the price difference was almost nothing and that way we could go on arrival day and departure day too.

So now we had lodging and tickets and dining plan. Next up, touring plan and dining reservations.

What to do in Disney: First I went through the sites for each park and read about each ride, familiarized myself with the layout of the parks. I made myself a list of what I thought our family would want to do and what we could probably skip. Then I went online and registered for the Unofficial Guide site. This was very useful to me. Now it costs a small fee but still I would do it. Or TourGuide Mike. You need a touring plan. Because we are all over the age of 10 I took the adults touring plan. For Magic Kingdom I used the "One full day and one half day" plan, for Animal Kingdom the One Day Adult plan, for Epcot the one day "relaxed" adult plan, and for Disney Hollywood Studios the adult one morning plan. More later on how/if we actually followed the TPs.

Dining: We are not huge eaters, not that we don't like food, just that we aren't used to a lot of restaurant food or a lot of big meals. So this was a LOT of food for us! DH eats only kosher food, and WDW was totally easy to work with on this! He'll eat cold dairy foods and fruit/salad/breads that are not stamped "kosher" so he ate at the breakfast buffets with us, choosing to his needs. We ordered some of his meals in advance, others he ordered on site at the food courts. It worked out fine. More later. The kids ate a lot of pizza and chicken nuggets. I ate a lot of grilled chicken salad. With desserts saved from meals, we barely touched the snack credits! As I said, LOTS of food! This is DTr2 with a dessert - chocolate dipped mickey rice krispy treat. It's only a dessert - not even a "snack"!
SAM_0435.jpg

Flights to Disney:
We booked flights on Jet Blue Airlines, from Newark NJ to Orlando. Very pleasantly pleased with the flights. Cost 89$ per person per flight. And the magical express to and from the airport. EASY! Got our disney luggage tags from Disney, and our yellow luggage stickers in a SEPARATE MAILING from Magical Express before departing.

Extras:
I bought a lot of Disney stuff before the trip. Little trinkets for the kids, light sticks for the evenings, Mickey Mouse t-shirts for everyone, even bought "souveniers" for almost all of the extended family on Disney Store's internet site, on sale. I signed up for a Disney Rewards Visa Card through Chase Bank. Got me an extra 15 - 20% on the Disney Store purchases. And we earned 84 Disney dollars by charging our entire vacation and our Israel-NJ tickets on it. When relatives asked for gift ideas for the kids we suggested Disney Dollars, so each kid had a nice sized wallet for their own spending at Disney. Our out of pocket expenses were really quite minimal! Oh yes, I got the invitation to pre-purchase a photo pass, as we were staying onsite. It comes in a general e-mail before the trip. So I was ready for pics galore!

And on that note.... I officially open our Trip Report!

Stay tuned - next time I'll really start!:dance3:

Thanks to my first reader!! Looks like we were at the World at the same time this month! Hope to get on with it tomorrow! :goodvibes

Sounds like it is going to be a fun report so I will be your second official reader. We are leaving in 59 days so I have to live vicariously through others until then.

Lauren

Day 1
After all of my planning, last night I felt totally "last minute" and crazy. Luckily we are a six person family so we get six suitcases – we used five. Three for our clothes, one for food and snacks, one for odds and ends and spare room for coming home. Carry-ons with the kids' personal stuff and food for the way, tickets and all the important stuff, toiletry bags, lap top and cameras. Luckily Mom was willing to wake up and drive us at 5:30am. No traffic, arrived at the airport at 6am, check in went smoothly. Flying Jet Blue. Made the reservations online, checked in online, printed out boarding passes at home. A porter helped us move the bags along and was a great help when I suddenly realized that we hadn't yet put on the yellow Magical Express luggage tags! Got them on, and checked in the bags and off we went to the gate. Hit our first snag. We'd packed all of our "refrigerator items" in the carry on with an ice pack, forgetting that these were almost all illegal to bring in carry ons. Luckily the security checker was very nice and even apologetic. She has a hard job but she did it with kindness and a bit of humor, which made turning in our yogurts and cream cheese a bit less difficult. Oh well, guess we will have to buy some groceries at Disney after all. Got to the gate JUST in time, the doors closed behind us – phew! Listened to other families deal with little kids who didn't want to sit and buckle, glad we have big kids now! First time flying Jet Blue and here are some observations. The online systems were very convenient and worked well. We chose our seats when we made the reservations, and got a reminder e-mail the day before flying regarding online check in. I thought it would be totally cut rate flying, but the seats were leather and comfortable, the leg room ample (on the normal seats) and each seat had a personal screen with a great selection of cable TV. I watched the amazing home renovations channel, DTr2 watched soccer, and the rest watched Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. There were free snacks – wide range and fun! Terra sweet potato chips, chocolate chip cookies. Soft drinks, juices or coffee. The kids liked getting the whole can of the soda. Headphones, blankets, pillows and a "movie" would have cost extra. We brought headphones with us. I'm wondering if the Magical Express will get our luggage to us in good time. And whether we'll be able to get into our rooms early. I stuck a t-shirt and a bathing suit in a carryon for each of us. I don't want to head to the parks before our luggage arrives. This way we can have a swim until we can get our suitcases. With different planning we could have been ready for the parks without suitcases. Note to self: next trip plan to have a carryon with what we'll need for an afternoon and evening in the park on arrival day. I guess my planning still has room for improvement! But we're on our way :banana:

Day 1 Cont.

So we had an easy flight and enjoyed NOT having to collect our luggage. It took us awhile to find the Magical Express bus. You enter at level 3 and need to go down to level 1. That we did fine. Well, for everyone's information, the ME check in and buses are all the way at the end of level 1, the last section after Mears and near the "group check in" location. Near gate 30 – 35. Anyway, found it, flashed the tickets we'd received by mail, were loaded on a bus within 10 minutes, and on our way! No problems. There was a Disney "infomercial" the whole way which kept us entertained. We'd done online check in for our family suite at the All Star Music Resort, so went straight to the online check in desk which was not labeled with words but with the picture of a computer monitor with a "check". Took me a few minutes to get that. DH was quicker on the uptake there. First taste of Disney cheerfulness – yes ma'am, yes sir, smile smile no problem have a great day! Kids were happy with TV in the lobby, balloons and stickers.They may be 'tweens but they're really just kids. Great news, at 11 am our room was already available for us! We were in the Calypso building, which is actually two buildings, one on each side of the pool. Eventually found the right one (!) and were happy that it was 1. near the main building; 2. near the pool; and 3; rooms facing away from the pool so quiet! Family suite #1638 – our Disney home! Faced the parking lot but that was pretty irrelevant as we didn't look out the windows much (at all). Kids were totally excited to enter the room and see so many Disney touches! Disney coat pegs, soaps/shampoos, kitchenette with Disney disposable cups and plates. Of course the music touches like the wallpaper border and the lamps.
IMG_5264.jpg

The rooms were not large but were absolutely fine for us and we are 6 pretty adult sized people. We put our carryons away and went down for our first Counter Service (CS) lunch at the Intermission Food Court. We were hungry. We were excited. It was great! Honestly! Kids had pizza and burgers, I had a big salad with warm just grilled chicken filet, and DH who eats Kosher food had the best Kosher meal of the trip – which Junior, "our chef" cheerfully came out to tell him about. We decided against the refillable mugs, since we didn't want the kids drinking soda 24 hours a day. As it was they refilled their regular drinks nonstop during mealtime. Happy and full we went and changed for a swim.
IMG_4910.jpg

When we came back from the pool all of our luggage had arrived – about 2 hours after we had arrived at the hotel. We unpacked changed and … off to the first park! I had hoped we would be there by 2pm but trying to start off on the right foot and therefore needing not to pressure the family – well – it was more like 3pm when we headed to the Disney Transport bus, but that's what "flowed". Magic Kingdom here we come!
IMG_4914.jpg

:cheer2:

Sorry for the lack of pics guys :guilty: I'm trying to figure it out - has anyone used kodak gallery and then posted pics? I may need to reload my pics to Photobucket. I'm workin' on it!
Figured I should at least get some text up...

OK I think I've got it -- here is me and Minnie!
IMG_5195.jpg

your family is beautiful! i am really enjoying your trip report! we srated at asmu family suite 1303 i think it was...loved it! got teary eyed at the pic of the kids in the pool...you can almost see our 'home'...i can't wiat to see & read more of your fun!

Thanks DisneyJazz! I loved being in the Calypso building! I'm ready to go again!!:yay::yay: But for now the trip report will have to suffice :)

Day 1 cont. again!

We were pretty tired though totally excited, having been up since 5 am for our early flight from Newark to Orlando. Only DH had rested (while we swam). But we were all smiles and buzzing with excitement on arrival to the MK! That first walk down main street and the first views of the castle were, truly, magical! I just looked at a few of the pictures we took in those first moments and wow were we glowing! The best pics were on PhotoPass which I don't have yet on Photobucket, but here is what the big tree looked like in the entry courtyard!
SAM_0110.jpg

It was pretty crowded. Saturday 4pm. Took out the PhotoPass and got it going – I had the one that I'd received when I ordered my 99$ photo pass CD and gave it to the photographer. Later got a few more cards but that's another story. I had prepared a Touring Plan (TP) for the afternoon – the 1/2 day of the "one full and one half day" TP from the UG. Sent DH to get Fast Passes (FP) for Space Mountain. Took kids straight to Jungle Cruise. And then decided to put the TP back in my pouch and regroup. The FPs for Space Mountain had a return time for 11:30pm. The line at Jungle Cruise was 50 minutes long. The kids were at Disney and "we're not even doing anything". Already hot, tired, overwhelmed. DTr1 stormed away, got her back. Moved them over to Swiss Family Treehouse. Found DH. Needed some "real rides" and fast. SO, next stop Fronteirland (scrap TP – we started an hour late and it was a Saturday and the kids needed action – don't start your vacation with the 1/2 day afternoon of MK at least not with 'tweens or teens…). Three kids waited on Splash Mountain stand by line
SAM_0137.jpg

(we couldn't get another FP as DH took the ones for Space Mountain not realizing the late time on them), one less daring went on the railroad with me – twice! – and got to be the guest conductor the second time around! Ever see a 12 year old grinning ear to ear while calling "All Aboard" into a choo choo train mike?! To do this you have to get the very last seat on the train - when we got off another (younger) kid RAN for the vacancy!
IMG_4920.jpg

Then another small glitch – had a hard time finding each other as we hadn't yet figured out how to make a meeting place. Hint: don't just say "at the exit of the ___" because there are more ways than one to exit and lots of people. After that we decided to use the FP ticket machines as our meeting places: "Meet at the FP machine for Thunder Mountain", etc. It worked. Went for dinner at Cosmic Rays, very crowded at about 6:30 pm, food ok not spectacular. Kids feeling the lack of fresh vegetables – DTr2 actually said get me anything as long as it has salad and fruit. The castle was beautiful from there and we loved taking pictures. Isn't it amazing dripping with icicles!
SAM_0163.jpg

Realized that we were fading fast and would not last to fireworks. Headed for some sit down activities. Stitch's Great Escape was only mildly entertaining, somewhat gross. Monsters' Inc Laugh Floor
SAM_0173.jpg

was GREAT!!! Totally upped our moods and left us with smiles and happiness!

And on that note we headed out of the park. Back "home", to sleep. Sleep? OK first kids had to fight over who got what bed. The pull out couch in the ASM family suite is a bit small for two 'tween sized kids. The pull out chair and the pull out ottoman were great for one kid each. We took the cushion from the couch and made it into a floor bed – actually looked very comfy. And that became the fourth kid bed for the rest of the vacation. The bed in the master bedroom was wonderfully comfy. Couldn't turn off the A/C so had to settle for pushing up the temp to74. Good night! Happy oh so happy to be in WDW!
SAM_0103.jpg

Great update! Your kids looked really excited to be there! Thanks for the info about the beds in the family suite. I was considering that for our next family trip, but now maybe not.

I know life gets busy, especially with triplets,
and you would never know by their picture they were triplets.
But I hope you return to update.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter