cedar point

We also love going to CP. We have stayed at the cabins (part of Camper Village), they are really nice & have a kitchen area. Then we stayed at Breakers (I think?) it had a sitting area w/ fridge and the beds in another room. This was good since we had a 2 yr old ready for a nap. Staying at CP is expensive but may be worth it if you want to go back to the hotel to rest. WARNING-food at CP is outrageous, so bring some if you stay on site.

We have stayed other places in Sandusky and enjoyed them as well, most have continental breakfast so that is a good plus. If you have kids or love animals look at the Animal Park too (not at CP) or taking the ferry to the islands. It can be a mini vacation

While, I know I will get flamed for this... you cannot (or rather should not) stay on Cedar Point property. It is not Disney. They have made some attempts at hotels, but in the end, it just isn't a financial option for a park that is only open half the year.

Cedar Point is great, even though Pete and the gang trashed it during the podcast a few years ago when it won for best park in the world, over disney.

In the end Cedar Point is about the rides. I had a friend from out of town visit one summer, many years ago. He was all about the coasters... at least until we got there. He took one look at them and chickened out. It is in a class by itself. In all honesty, they wouldn't even let any of the Disney coasters into the park. They tried a Disney like coaster "Disaster Transport" a retooled bobsled ride, that tries very hard to be a Space Mountain type ride, and they failed miserably. Its only redeeming value is that it can be ridden in the rain, and is calm enough to be ridden over and over again until it stops raining.

I am certain that you know what you are getting yourself into. Its a great park, with many, many beyond great rides. Add fast passes to it, and it might even be better than Disney.... but in reality they are so different that they cannot be compared.

I'm going to differ from the last poster. We love the onsight hotels. We have 3 kids and love being able to go back to the room to take a break during the middle of the day-- and usually its not all of us. The teens don't always go with us and we feel safe leaving them for awhile. Yes, the hotels aren't as nice, but they are really convenient and right on the beach. I love to sit and watch the water and play in the waves too.

Yes, the hotels are expensive, but we feel it is worth it (just like Disney)

I agree that ceadr point and Disney are nothing alike, but I think the opele going there are aware of it. This park is known for have the biggest and best coasters, so I don't think most go thinking of coaster like Disney. Disney has wimpy coasters, but are more my speed with my age. LOL! But for the coaster enthusiaist, Cedar Point is top dog.

I went for the first time to Cedar Point in August of this year. It was one of my goal's in life and since I'm getting older (i.e. can't handle rollercoasters like I used to ;) ) I thought it would be a great time. After doing some research, I figured out that the last weekend of August would be a good time (as far as crowd levels, my bf had me scared talking about 2-3 hour waits for every coaster May-beginning of August). I went back and forth on tickets as they seemed to offer specials and I never knew if something better would come along :rolleyes1. On July 25th they did a promotion for Christmas in July of 5,000 one day tickets for $25 a piece starting at 8 a.m. I knew I needed two days for each of us. I was able to get 4 tickets for $100 (they sold out in 30 minutes).

My bf lives in IN so he drove but I flew into Cleveland and rented a car. I didn't really know where I wanted to stay at as everything either looked a) EXPENSIVE!! or b) not in a very good area or condition. Once again I went back and forth on staying on property (one of the things that stopped me from doing this is I couldn't find any good pictures of the insides of the rooms and the ones I was finding the rooms looked in need of a major refurbishment) or staying off. I decided on a Fairfield Inn and Suites that had hot continental breakfast in the morning. It was voted the #1 hotel in Sandusky on tripadvisor so I bit the $200 a night bullet and stayed there Thursday August 27th until Sunday August 30th. The hotel was nice but I was hoping to be closer to the park. It seemed like with traffic it took us forever to get to the park every day. We passed one of the Cedar Point hotels on the way in (it was on the water, I want to say the Castaway one?) and I think we would stay here next time as it's super close, we wouldn't have to pay for parking (but would have to pay for breakfast), and in my opinion the outside looks nicer than Hotel Breakers.

Parking was $10 a day. Our first full day was Friday. It was pouring down raining but the park was still open. My bf (who has gone to CP MANY times) was in amazement at how empty the park is. He kept saying even when it's pouring rain in May-July the park is PACKED. We stuck around (after paying $5 a piece for a poncho) and after an hour it cleared up and we rode all of the most popular coasters (Maverick, Millenium [my fave!!], Raptor) in the front seat with under a 30 minute wait on each. Saturday was BEAUTIFUL and a little more crowded but we still were able to ride everything we wanted and the longest line was an hour. My bf couldn't get over it.

Food and drinks were expensive!! I highly recommend eating before you come into the park (we ate dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings both nights but it was like 9-10 p.m. when we were leaving the park). I'm an avid soda drinker and their medium fountain drinks are $5 (I spent a small fortune on soda in those two days). Their deep fried Oreo's are to DIE for as well as the yummy Friar fries!

We also walked over to the challenge park and did the mini-golf which we were the only ones playing on any of the courses. That was a nice break to the day.

All in all it was a GREAT trip and we had a blast. I'm looking to make it an annual tradition (although he wants me to come up during Halloween and I don't do scary [Busch Gardens Halloween thing is pretty tame, he says, compared to what CP does and I'm scared every year at Busch!) but I would stay somewhere else next time (and hopefully still be able to get such a great deal on tickets!!).

The prices of things don't bother me so much as I hear the area is pretty desolate after CP closes for the year until they reopen so businesses have to make money during the busier times to get through the slower times. It's not like Disney that's open all year. Also, I never compare ANY amusement park to Disney (as far as the level of service and themeing).

We went last year and stayed 3 nights at the Kalahari in a deluxe suite, (can't say enough good things about how wonderful a place the Kalahari is!!!), and then 2 nights at the Sandcastle Suites at Cedar Point. What a let down the Sandcastle Suites were after the Kalahari. The room was so old and outdated, the pull out bed was just springs, we couldn't even use it. Their waterpark was so small compared to the Kalahari's - we did LOVE Cedar Point though!! We will be returning next fall - after CP opens up their new ride.

Not sure it is posted yet but if you go to Cedar Points web page there is a place to request a coupon booklet. Which has some bogo on Starlite tickets and food. Usually the is a coupon go for a discounted night at one of CP hotels the coupon is usually only good at the beginning of the season
You will find it under the planning a trip link.

I haven't been to cedar point in about 3 years, but if you stay in the area go to African Wildlife Safari in Port Clinton (its about 20ish minutes from Cedar Point). Its awesome!

We spend every weekend May-September in Port Clinton on Lake Erie. There is a ton to do outside of Cedar Point. I can't see spending more than a day at Cedar Point.

Back again!! We have decided to stay in the park for early entry and great ticket prices $85 for 3day CP/Soak city. Now should we do cabin or cottage? We are even debating 2 families 4kids 4 adults in the cabin-is that going to work? It would be 2/14yr olds 2/12 yr olds and 4 adults. It says it sleeps 8 but I am a doubting Thomas

We went last year and stayed 3 nights at the Kalahari in a deluxe suite, (can't say enough good things about how wonderful a place the Kalahari is!!!), and then 2 nights at the Sandcastle Suites at Cedar Point. What a let down the Sandcastle Suites were after the Kalahari. The room was so old and outdated, the pull out bed was just springs, we couldn't even use it. Their waterpark was so small compared to the Kalahari's - we did LOVE Cedar Point though!! We will be returning next fall - after CP opens up their new ride.

We did almost exactly the same thing!! Loved, loved, loved the Kalahari. My boys still talk about the Kalahari. We had a giant suite - they were running a special on it when I called. It was about $700 for 3 nights. We then went to stay at Castaway Cay after the Kalahari. That is Cedar Point's waterpark hotel. It was awful. We could not wait to leave that hotel. It was old and run down. We could not sleep on the pull out - it was just springs. We loved CP, and can't wait to go back. We will be staying in the Kalahari when we go back. This past summer we spend a week in a Great Wolf Lodge, and it just couldn't compare to the Kalahari for us!

We did almost exactly the same thing!! Loved, loved, loved the Kalahari. My boys still talk about the Kalahari. We had a giant suite - they were running a special on it when I called. It was about $700 for 3 nights. We then went to stay at Castaway Cay after the Kalahari. That is Cedar Point's waterpark hotel. It was awful. We could not wait to leave that hotel. It was old and run down. We could not sleep on the pull out - it was just springs. We loved CP, and can't wait to go back. We will be staying in the Kalahari when we go back. This past summer we spend a week in a Great Wolf Lodge, and it just couldn't compare to the Kalahari for us!

Actually I think both Castawy Cay and Kalahari are about the same age, niether are old.

Back again!! We have decided to stay in the park for early entry and great ticket prices $85 for 3day CP/Soak city. Now should we do cabin or cottage? We are even debating 2 families 4kids 4 adults in the cabin-is that going to work? It would be 2/14yr olds 2/12 yr olds and 4 adults. It says it sleeps 8 but I am a doubting Thomas

Cabin or Cottage where? At Cedar Point? I never heard of them having that?

We just got back from Castaway Bay, we went for a overnight trip for the water park. I was very disappointed it was run down all the activities were either canceled or just plain stupid. I would definitely not recommend staying there. The water was warm but the halls were freezing which made walking back to your room fun

I have heard a lot of bad reviews of Castaway Cay. Even my sister who stayed there would never go back. rooms were so run down.

Season ticket holder here, we live an hour away. The cabins and cottages sit right along the shoreline of Lake Erie, in the campground. Personally have never stayed in them, they both look very nice. We have pulled the 5th wheel up and camped before. Very nice and clean. Has a great pool/hot tub area available. We loved going back to a late lunch I had in the crockpot. We would relax a bit and head back to the park.

As others have mentioned, food and drink prices are terrible!! Our norm is to eat breakfast before going in. If we are driving up for the day, we started packing a cooler. They have a nice picnic area right outside the main gate. Covered, lots of picnic tables. Grills if your interested. Remember your charcoal! Then we would eat on our way home. If you like pizza, Chet & Matt's is about a 5 minute drive. AWESOME food!! If you choose to eat in the park, Game Day Grill, located near the Raptor is fairly reasonable, a sit down restaurant. On the order of a sports bar. Food is good and less expensive then the 10 buck basket of chicken fingers and fries. I'm not even joking on the 10 bucks! :confused3 I understand they want to make a profit, but they really rip you off.

Castaway Cay is a remodeled hotel. Guessing 4 maybe 5 years ago CP bought it and turned it into their indoor water park. If you have never done an indoor waterpark and you have nothing to compare it to. You would be happy with it. Its on the smaller side. Now we have stayed at Kalahari, nothing compares to Kalahari. But to us, that is a vacation in itself. I would never pay the money to stay at Kalahari if we are going to CP. Thats just 2 seperate getaways for us. My girls are even disappointed with Great Wolf Lodge, since doing Kalahari. It is the biggest and best around.

We have stayed at the Hotel Breakers. Its nice and clean, right on site. But its been there a long time. As far as staying on the Rt 250 strip, you will find plenty of hotels. But you will find plenty of traffic to get into the park each and every day. I'm talking an hour plus in traffic.

I don't think you could go wrong picking either the cabin or the cottages. They are cute little things, fairly new. I'm guessing 5 years old, maybe a bit older. Well kept. They book up FAST. So make your reservations as soon as you can.

Cedar Point has had declining attendance the past few years. Its not like growing up, when you did have the 2-3 hour wait in lines. The biggest coasters, Raptor, Millenium, Maverick, you can expect an hour + wait. Most everything else 15 minutes maybe 30. You can cover the entire park in a day. If we bring the camper up for a long weekend. We like to do CP the first day. Then enjoy Soak City the second day. Give me an inner tube and the wave pool...I'm good for the day! CP can be exhausting. Especially if your in the dead of summer. SC is a good way to wind up your vacation. Lots of slides, and plenty of comfy lounge chairs too. Enjoy your trip!! Lisa

Thats so sad the hotel is run down. My older DD has gone to all of the waterparks with her dad and step mom and she said CC was her least favorite too.
We didn't go to CP last summer, but did the year before. I am said to say the park is no longer as clean as it used to be. I found the bathrooms almost gross last time.
20 years ago the place was very nice and clean, but it seems to be declining lately. And the food prices are just terrible. There was a pizza buffet that wasn't too bad in price, and they even let DD eat for free, which was nice, as she was old enough to pay for, I believe. But normally we too eat before and or after going to the park and try to limit what we eat inside.

OP here-so we booked cottages last night and rooms in Cleveland after CP. the only thing left is something off property for the night before we actually check in. We plan to drive from MA on a Saturday and get a hotel in town that includes a nice hot breakfast and then head over to CP early in the AM. We know we won't get our room til later but they told us we could get the tickets as early as 8am.
Any Suggestions for the night before??

I think they do...but it's like a really big one (If I remember correctly) and the refills weren't free, just a reduced rate.

They do have a large refillable cup (tall and skinny - like at Six Flags). I think it was about $10 to buy and then $1 each time you filled up. We had a couple for our family and shared -- much better than $3-4 per drink for our family of 5. It was really hot when we went and often got lemonade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter