Cedar Point Park Tips and Advice Please

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
We have booked our first trip to Cedar Point Park for opening weekend May 9th and would love some tips and advice from some seasoned Cedar Point Park goers. Best places to eat / places to avoid? What rides to hit first? We have the one hour early access. We are driving from NJ that Friday and staying at the Breakers Express with their package deal. We have all day that Saturday to enjoy the park and will drive home on Sunday.

We have booked our first trip to Cedar Point Park for opening weekend May 9th and would love some tips and advice from some seasoned Cedar Point Park goers. Best places to eat / places to avoid? What rides to hit first? We have the one hour early access. We are driving from NJ that Friday and staying at the Breakers Express with their package deal. We have all day that Saturday to enjoy the park and will drive home on Sunday.

Generally speaking, food is not very good in the park. Most people recommend the Famous Dave's BarBQ restaurant, which is just outside the park (you can get stamped and come back in to the park when done). It's located at the Marina, which is near the Blue Streak. I've also had some decent food at the Chuck Wagon (again, BarBQ food) near the Maverick. Otherwise, it's pretty standard fare food (corn dogs, fries, etc.).

For the early entry hour, I would probably head towards the back of the park and hit Maverick first. It's almost always the longest line in the park (and it's an awesome coaster). After that, you can probably hit Millennium Force and/or the newest (old) coaster, Rougarou. It used to be the Mantis (stand up coaster), but they redid it during the winter. Gatekeeper is the next newest coaster in the park and it's pretty cool, but I've always found the lines there, even in it's first year, to be reasonable (e.g. inside of an hour).

If you're worried about time and/or feel like that crowds are going to be pretty heavy, you could invest in their Fast Lane or Fast Lane Plus, which would give you Front of Line access to the major rides (Fast Lane Plus includes the biggest attractions - Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium, and Rougarou. They're not cheap, however. It's hard to say what the crowds will be like. On one hand, it's the first day it's open, so you'll have a lot of folks (especially us local passholders) who'll be there because of that. But you also won't have the types of crowds that the park gets in the height of vacation season. And there's always the weather factor, which is a crap shoot.

Good luck and enjoy Cedar Point! We'll probably be there for at least part of the day, especially since it's my younger son's 10th birthday and he's had it on his calendar all winter. :)

Everything soccer dad said, be prepared for weather, the lake is usually still icy and the wind
Can be cutting. Dress in layers, it can go from warm to cold from dry to rainy really quickly. Remember hat and gloves too.

Also, some of the rides may not be open or not running due to weather conditions.

French Fries with Malt Vineger & Taffy. That's what I eat at Cedar Point. Sit in the Middle of the Mean Streak it is a beautiful Wooden coaster but can beat you up. Don't miss the blue Streak it is a classic. First coaster I went on.

On opening weekend at any park, be prepared for inefficient ride/food/ ticket booth operations. Most employess are new to the job and aren't quite with it yet. Cedar Point can be cold and windy in early May, which may close some rides.

Is the dual track Gemini coaster still there?

Generally speaking, food is not very good in the park. Most people recommend the Famous Dave's BarBQ restaurant, which is just outside the park (you can get stamped and come back in to the park when done). It's located at the Marina, which is near the Blue Streak. I've also had some decent food at the Chuck Wagon (again, BarBQ food) near the Maverick. Otherwise, it's pretty standard fare food (corn dogs, fries, etc.).

First, this is 100% true. However, I would note that the exit that leads to Famous Daves is not really near the Blue Streak at all. It's actually behind one of the Bumper Cars, the one next to the Antique Cars and near the Himalayan. There's also a slightly more upscale restaurant in the general marina area (its a fish and steak type place), but I can't remember what it's called (I mean, I've only been going there since I was 3, you'd think I'd remember!).

Is the dual track Gemini coaster still there?

Yep, still one of the best park rides with the shortest wait!

Personally, I would try to do the Gatekeeper at the very front of the park first, then head to the back. Since it's the newest coaster, its lines get long quick. But then the Maverick, and the Millenium Force, and the rest have lines that are somewhat manageable....well, except for Top Thrill Dragster....which I wouldn't recommends as a ride at all.

First, this is 100% true. However, I would note that the exit that leads to Famous Daves is not really near the Blue Streak at all. It's actually behind one of the Bumper Cars, the one next to the Antique Cars and near the Himalayan. There's also a slightly more upscale restaurant in the general marina area (its a fish and steak type place), but I can't remember what it's called (I mean, I've only been going there since I was 3, you'd think I'd remember!).

Oops - my bad. :o I have to admit, I've never actually eaten there, but I've seen it (probably while riding Blue Streak :p ) We don't eat much when we're there, because we usually just drive up for a couple hours and eat on our way home.

I think the upscale restaurant is called Bay Harbor.

We ate at TGIFridays inside the Breakers, and the Midway Market (all you can eat buffet) at the front of the park. We also ate at the DQ Grill one night, which is right near the Breakers Express. TGIFridays is a more limited menu at a higher cost than your local chain TGIFridays. Everything was edible, but nothing spectacular.

There is an area outside of the park with the offsite hotels, Walmart, and other restaurants. Hopefully someone more familiar with the area can explain it better. But, the traffic pattern of all the roads leading into Cedar Point one way makes this a real pain to get to. It would take us 1/2 hour through back roads just to get to the Walmart from Sandcastle Suites. Then it only takes 10 minutes to get back since you are going back IN to the Cedar Point area. For the most part, this is a very rural area- I was surprised.

Since we stayed at the Sandcastle Suites and use the back entrance for early entry, DH and kids (I was pregnant) hit all the back roller coasters first. Those were running nearly empty the first hour. My biggest tip is if you see the Top Thrill Dragster and/or the Windseeker open- RIDE them. My family did get to ride the Top Thrill Dragster, but decided not to ride the Windseeker the first day, and the whole second day, it was closed for wind. This was 4th of July week and it wasn't even that windy!!! Top Thrill Dragster was up and down periodically during our trip.

If you're looking for free ice water, the Chick-Fil-A kiosks provide the biggest cups.

First question- how old is your DS? If he isn't at least a tween, there will be very little that you can do together. Just wanted to mention that. Cedar Point is definitely an amusement park geared for older kids.

First question- how old is your DS? If he isn't at least a tween, there will be very little that you can do together. Just wanted to mention that. Cedar Point is definitely an amusement park geared for older kids.

It depends on the kid, but over 48" tall gets them on some of the roller coasters and over 52" gets them on all but a couple of the larger coasters. There are three (or four) rides that are 54" and up, IIRC. My 9 year old reached 54" last summer and he's an average sized boy, so I would say that 8-10 years old is the general age range where kids can start fully enjoying everything (that is, assuming they're thrill seekers). :)

Bay Harbor! That's it. But it's not the best option for a one day trip because its a longer sit down meal that takes away s lot of park time.

How much does the Midway Market run for their buffet? Is the food ok for a buffet place or to be avoided? Also how is the Panda Express and Chick fil a in the park?

How much does the Midway Market run for their buffet? Is the food ok for a buffet place or to be avoided? Also how is the Panda Express and Chick fil a in the park?

I think this Blog is from last season, but it gives a price range and a general description of what's offered at the buffet:

http://cpfoodblog.com/cedar-point-food/midway-market/

I have not eaten there personally, so I can't give you an opinion. Chick Fil A has been fine - pretty much what you'd get in a regular location (at higher prices). Panda Express always smells really good, but again, I have not eaten there before.

Save your parking receipt if you go to Famous Dave's and they will take the amount of parking off your check. Just present it to your server:thumbsup2

Do you need to make a reservation for the buffet or is it first come first serve?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter