Cecil the Lion

Yes. It didn't used to, but with the upgrade it now does. You see what quoter says, but not what was quoted. In other words, if someone had you on ignore, they'd see what I had added, but not the line of yours that I quoted.

Nice. I suppose it might actually be worth it then.

I don't understand the interest in shooting a wild animal, that is not for food. I understand people that hunt ducks and pigeon, but lions. To wound the poor animal and take two days to kill it is just so sad.

Nice. I suppose it might actually be worth it then.
It's weird because sometimes the conversation doesn't make sense. Then you realize that you are only seeing one side of it.

I'm disappointed that the DIS is OK with the posting of dead bodies. That seems to be contradictory but their forum their rules.

It's weird because sometimes the conversation doesn't make sense. Then you realize that you are only seeing one side of it.

I'm disappointed that the DIS is OK with the posting of dead bodies. That seems to be contradictory.

I think I hit a sore spot based on what was awaiting me this morning, so I figured maybe I should just do it.

I think the poster is replying sarcastically to another poster who doesn't appear to care if anything bad happens to the dentist, his business, his coworkers, or even his family.

As for the lion, I'm sad about the lion. The dentist shouldn't have killed the lion. But he shouldn't have a lynch mob after him either. And, as sad as I am about the lion, I'm more heartbroken & outraged over the atrocities that happen to humans every day.

You are correct about my post. I should have been more clear.

I don't know - there seems to be a lot of people (news, Facebook feed, forums, etc.) who are either doing the threats (though just on line) or cheering for them. I know that none (or almost none) of them would actually support any sort of actual attack, but they seem to be finding glee in the threats. Even in this thread, some people (more than 0.1%) have said that they wouldn't be sad if something bad happened to him (or even his family).

Yeah, I reported one once. and nothing happened. So I don't do it anymore.

As for the lion, I'm sad about the lion. The dentist shouldn't have killed the lion. But he shouldn't have a lynch mob after him either. And, as sad as I am about the lion, I'm more heartbroken & outraged over the atrocities that happen to humans every day.
Well, I think any discussion about lynching is inappropriate. I know what lynching is, and as far as I know it hasn't happened in this case. Obviously, I find using the term lynching for hyperbole reasons offensive.

I understand some need to compare, but I don't. I can care about a lot of subjects at the same time, and I don't particularly need to carefully rank order them. That doesn't mean I'm lacking in compassion, it means that I've learned to care on a lot of fronts at once.

Even in this thread, some people (more than 0.1%) have said that they wouldn't be sad if something bad happened to him (or even his family).
I can't speak for her, but I thought that person repeatedly said that she didn't want death or bodily harm to come to the doctor or anyone else.

I know that I don't want him, his family or his staff to be physically harmed by anyone. I do feel sorry for his staff, I hope that other dentists will reach out to them and offer them jobs.

Last edited:
I can't speak for her, but I thought that person repeatedly said that she didn't want death or bodily harm to come to the doctor or anyone else.

I know that I don't want him, his family or his staff to be physically harmed by anyone. I do feel sorry for his staff, I hope that other dentists will reach out to them and offer them jobs.

I agree - I feel badly for the staff. Some of them may have had no idea that their boss would do something like this. And even if they did, they had nothing to do with what happened.

Well, if it's not big enough, exactly what are you going to do with it? That's why he throws them back. He fishes with the INTENT to get fish big enough for eating, but those dang fish are terrible readers and don't bother to look at his clear notice that he's "fishing for keepers only."

Okay, okay.... I think I can forgive that.

I'm disappointed that the DIS is OK with the posting of dead bodies. That seems to be contradictory but their forum their rules.

After my post, I realised that I wasn't 100% sure, so I tested it by ignoring Dad (sorry Dad). And, yes, it was weird.

I agree - I feel badly for the staff. Some of them may have had no idea that their boss would do something like this. And even if they did, they had nothing to do with what happened.
I'm not so sure. I don't think, he hides his "hobby". Evidently, he has "trophies" hanging on the walls in his office.

I'm not so sure. I don't think, he hides his "hobby". Evidently, he has "trophies" hanging on the walls in his office.

Sure, but as an employee, I would never assume those were taken illegally, or unethically. And more than likely, most (or all) of them were not.

Edit: a former boss of mine kept a fake (but VERY realistic) rhino head on his wall.

Sure, but as an employee, I would never assume those were taken illegally, or unethically. And more than likely, most (or all) of them were not.

Edit: a former boss of mine kept a fake (but VERY realistic) rhino head on his wall.
I didn't mean to imply, that they did. They may still believe, it was all legal and ethical. Maybe, it was legal.

Personally, I still think, he's a dirt bag.

Killing any animal for sport or thrill is disgusting to me whether it be a duck, frog or elephant or giraffe. I don't care if the animal is endangered, majestic, ugly or protected. Takes a certain type of human to kill for thrill.

Don't forget that many Africans eat lions, elephants, giraffes and other big game that we deem majestic and protected on our side of the pond.

Many Asians eat dogs and cats who are kept in small inhumane cages their entire life. Just like we keep and breed pigs in inhumane cages and cows, chickens and ducks that suffer their entire lives so we can over stuff our gluttonous bodies with their meat. But that's ok because, you know, PROTEIN.

It's amazing the disconnect we have with certain type of animals.

I know everyone doesn't feel the same way and that's ok. I was once that person so I'm not going to be a hypocrite and I don't hate or disrespect people who eat animals. That would include almost everyone I know including my old self.

Last edited:
To me, this whole "Cecil" episode represents pretty much everything that is wrong with Internet "social justice". While clearly the killing of this particular lion involved what almost certainly was some illegal behavior on the part of the hired guide, or Palmer, or the both of them. They should be subjected to whatever punishments the law calls for, if found guilty of any crimes. But the collective Internet "freak out", complete with death threats, calls for summary execution of Palmer, celebrities Tweeting out his home address, and making him out to be the personification of evil on this planet gives new meaning to the words "disproportionate response". Add to that the media "pile-on" that saw the case of "Cecil's" death became multi-day front-page fodder for many global newspapers and Internet news outlets and you end up with one heck of an echo chamber.

I think CGP Grey's analysis is right again that "anger" is the largest virus on the Internet:

To me, this whole "Cecil" episode represents pretty much everything that is wrong with Internet "social justice". While clearly the killing of this particular lion involved what almost certainly was some illegal behavior on the part of the hired guide, or Palmer, or the both of them. They should be subjected to whatever punishments the law calls for, if found guilty of any crimes. But the collective Internet "freak out", complete with death threats, calls for summary execution of Palmer, celebrities Tweeting out his home address, and making him out to be the personification of evil on this planet gives new meaning to the words "disproportionate response". Add to that the media "pile-on" that saw the case of "Cecil's" death became multi-day front-page fodder for many global newspapers and Internet news outlets and you end up with one heck of an echo chamber.

I think CGP Grey's analysis is right again that "anger" is the largest virus on the Internet:

I completely agree. And this is coming from someone who is an animal lover who hasn't eaten animal products in years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter