Cdns in Dec and early Jan ever been there? Any advice?

Sillyminny40

DIS Veteran
Our kids are in high school next year and cannot miss more than a week. Any ideas as to exactly when and where to stay? We want to do wdw and universal staying at a vacation home with another family. We appreciate ANY comments and advice. Thanks! :cool1: :banana: :cheer2: :wizard: :cloud9: :blush: :artist:

If you ask me, January is the best time to go to WDW! The first time we went the first week of January, second time was the last week. Next year it's the third week. I'd stay away Jan. 7th - I believe that's the marathon. Other than that, the crowds will be quite low. We waited no more than 20 minutes during the peak in the afternoons, earlier in the day we walked on to almost everything with no more than 5 or 10 minute waits. The trade-off is shorter hours at the parks and likely no water parks.

We always stay onsite, but there's a link on the wdwinfo page for new condos that look good. Also, allstarvacationhomes.com looks pretty decent too.

Who knows - maybe we'll bump into you!

We have gone the second week in December and the first week in Jan. before.

Our Jan. trip was freezing- to the point of ruining the trip. Ours was a freak year for weather though- but do pack for everything.

Our December trip we also had very low crowds but having the benefit of all the decorations and extra activities made it a wonderful trip.

We have always tried to make our trip start the day after the American Thanksgiving (close to our Birthdays). The parks seems to empty and it is amazing to watch how quickly they put up decorations. :artist:

Last visit we got to watch them complete the gingerbread house in the Grand Floridian (we love spending time hotel lobby hopping just to look at the different themes)

We have gone in early Jan. the past 2 years. First year was excellent with temps in the 80's but this past year we froze! I actually had to buy ds a fleece sweater and gloves! It's really hit or miss with January. We're going to try November next time. Jen

Avoid the week between Christmas and New Year's! I had to juggle 4 schedules last year and the only dates that meshed at time of booking was that week. About 3 weeks before Christmas 2 schedules had changed so we didn't need to go Christmas week but it was too late to change all the reservations and ADR's. The parks were extremely crowded and the lines very long and fast passes ran out early in the day. We sometimes had to stand in line for buses until 2 or 3 were full before we got on one and it was still standing room only. The lines for food were very long. Seeing the WDW done up for Christmas was great but the crowds made it a stressful vacation. We checked out on Jan. 1 and a CM told me that approximately 800 rooms were checking out that day.

We went in the middle of January this year. The weather was completely unpredictable. We were in shorts and t-shirts one day and jeans and sweatshirts the next. Crowds were good with one exception. We didn't realized we booked over Martin Luther King day which is a long weekend for the States, therefore the crowds were really big for both the Saturday and Sunday and a slightly less crazy on the Friday before and Monday after. When we realized this, we decided to do our non-park days over the weekend, ie mini-golf, shopping etc. to avoid getting frustrated with the crowds.

mdennylusk (blusk's DW)

Been there in early and late January. Very unpredictable weather. This past year was so/so. Temperate when we got there Dec 30 but cooler when we left. In 2000 we were there in late January, and needed mitts and hats! Remember, this is coming from a Winnipegger. We know when it's cold. The only upside, was the crowds were very light late January. We thought the crowds were supposed to be light the first week of January, but it was very busy. We were quite surprised (as was Disney) by this. The marathon runs the first weekend in Jan and this is now the 10th largest one in the U.S.
We were glad we went to see the decorations, but surprised by the crowds. We also figured a lot of schools changed Christmas break to include the first week in Jan (as they did here), as there were quite a few kids.

We've gone the first, second and third week of December.

The first week had beautiful weather but that was 6 years ago when the weather wasn't was weird as it is these days. The second week was 3 years ago and it was FREEZING COLD. We had such a cold snap. Hot chocolate was the popular drink at WDW. I've got photos of us wearing our winter parkas!! And then last year we went during the third week and it was cold but not as cold as last time. However, the crowds were getting bad. As the week got closer to Christmas, the crowds grew larger and the wait lines got longer.

I had friends who went the second week of January and they had beautiful weather and no lines.

That being said, there's nothing like Christmas or the atmosphere of Christmas at WDW. If you like that, go the second week of Christmas. That's usually when they start the pin pursuit too and still have pins to give out. ;)

We go the first 2 weeks of Dec for the most part and it is awesome low crowds generally good weather we have never had a trip that was below 75 daytime temps and at night it is usually high 50's to mid 60's. Also if the ids will miss school and you are concerned about it better to have them miss time before the christmas break than the start of a new semester as much less work is done in the christmas break time of year.

Excellent time of year to go! We have been there the past two years from 12/28-01/10. You enjoy some hectic Xmas time and some quiet January time. The best of both worlds Awaits. Don't forget to pack a sweater and pants for those cool late afternoons and evenings. Last year was much cooler in the evening than the year before. Be prepared!! :thumbsup2

Last year we went in the 3rd week of January and it was perfect. The crowds weren't too bad, and either was the weather, it fluctuated in that some days felt like early June, some felt like late April in terms of Toronto weather. The crowds were perfect, no line ups.
This year we went first week in January and we didn't find it too bad, there were a couple when it went to about 50 degrees f, but my husband and I laughed at the employees wearing coats and gloves. The crowds at that time were also very good except for a few days during the marathon.
I think I will only go in January now, as my friend took her son last year at March break and said it was terrible with the crowds.
In my opinion if you are looking to go at a time when you can avoid crowds go in January, if you are looking for weather go another time.
We had no rain both times we went, it was like a typical Ontario spring.

We were there from Christmas Day until Jan 8th this past year and agree with most of what has been said.

We actually found it to be very crowded the whole time. New Year's Eve was completely insane, but the crowds never did seem to go down much.

As said before, the weather was hard to guage... we were in the pools some days (90+ degrees), and other days we were FREEZING... temps in the 40's, but with high winds and humidity it seemed way colder than a 40 degree day in Calgary.

It was a great trip, we were expecting the crowds to drop off more after New Year's though.

we went the week of 15-22 dec last year and it was cold. the first and last day wer warm in 70's but rest of time washigh 50's low 60's during day and high 30' low 40's at night. I was glad that i brought mitts and hats and coats for all. Kids did not mind it as much as myself still went in pool etc. crowds were great until the last threee days when thy became almost unbearable. It was great to see all the decorations thought.

For a number of years, our bi-annual trip to WDW was made in December, primarily because our children were out of school on break for about 2 weeks - so we would take them out one additional week and head to Florida.
We kept up this tradition all through their elementary, junior, high school and university years.

Our arrival date in Florida would range somewhere between December 14 and 17 - we usually began our vacations at WDW, then moved to a condo on one coast or the other around December 26.

It might not feel like Christmas the first year you visit WDW, but to us, Christmas at home now feels like it's lacking some magic!

Please pm me if you have any specific questions - I'd be happy to take a crack at answering them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter