CDN $ is so low!

We are just driving home from Virginia. In a weeks vacation ( and nothing extravagant) gas, meals, some souvenirs, we ate in our condo 3 nights. But exchange on everything we used our debit/visa for almost $700 gone. Eeeek. Plus we took $400 us with us that I exchanged awhile back. Crazy. We have a Xmas and march break vacay to Florida planned. Xmas may not happen. Thankfully with Southwest I can change my flights to March if need be and have til Oct to cancel our villa only out $59.00 us.

I have the money in my account waiting for me to book my vacation but its hard to watch $500 disappear for exchange. Looks like the dollar will level off but would but going in our favor anytime soon.

UPDATE: well I pulled the trigger and had my TA charge the balance ($2,034.00 USD) to my Sears MC (no fees) today! It hurt paying the .76/.77 exchange / which will probably add at least another $600 to that total, but at least it can't get worse for me now! I've read it's only going to fall more, so that's a bummer if true!!! Missing at par ☺️

UPDATE: well I pulled the trigger and had my TA charge the balance ($2,034.00 USD) to my Sears MC (no fees) today! It hurt paying the .76/.77 exchange / which will probably add at least another $600 to that total, but at least it can't get worse for me now! I've read it's only going to fall more, so that's a bummer if true!!! Missing at par ☺️

We all feel your pain. I'm sure glad I paid ours off when it was .80-ish. We usually get a good chunk of US cash before we go, who knows what it'll cost by November. Might have to be more frugal with the "out of pocket" stuff. Too bad, DW likes to do some Christmas shopping on our fall trips. :worried:

We all feel your pain. I'm sure glad I paid ours off when it was .80-ish. We usually get a good chunk of US cash before we go, who knows what it'll cost by November. Might have to be more frugal with the "out of pocket" stuff. Too bad, DW likes to do some Christmas shopping on our fall trips. :worried:
Thankful I bought $5,000 when it was around .85! It sure hurts that's for sure!

I am with you, I have been watching too and paid off our balance 6 weeks early, thankful because since then it has dipped more. It will affect what we buy I think, doing the math that that Alex and Ani bracelet is now over $50 may change my mind...

CDN $ is too low for my liking...I just called and cancelled our vacation. We still have $2400 US ($3180 CDN) to pay for our Disney Cruise/Disney World and Universal Studios. Air fare doesn't look like it's going to be any good this year either.

If we add in the transfers, food cost, spending money.....it's just not worth it......Oh well, what can you do? :sad1:

CDN $ is too low for my liking...I just called and cancelled our vacation. We still have $2400 US ($3180 CDN) to pay for our Disney Cruise/Disney World and Universal Studios. Air fare doesn't look like it's going to be any good this year either.

If we add in the transfers, food cost, spending money.....it's just not worth it......Oh well, what can you do? :sad1:

Sad that you had to cancel it :( , we considered it, we bought out airfare in January for $400 each return Canadian, cheapest we have paid without crossing the border to fly

Well, boo :( . That stinks.

AWE! so sorry for those who have to cancel! I'm too far in to cancel/ non-refundable concierge booked for my cruise among other things..... but It will probably affect when I can go back again after this! Hopefully the $$ recovers some!

So sorry you had to cancel. That sucks. :(

We are driving down to DL from BC in a week. We paid for our condo last September when the dollar was pretty good, and I got all four of my park passes through air miles, so we're committed to going, whether the dollar is crappy or not. I'm trying to reassure myself a bit that the price of gas is cheaper in the States, that we're saving $$ by driving down, and that we'll keep things simple...no big fancy dinners or expensive treats, just fun at the parks. We're going with friends, so will plan to make a Costco stop and pack snacks / food into the parks and then cook at the condo whenever possible. It is what it is, so we'll just do our best not to be extravagant and make it a priority to enjoy every moment. :D I am splurging on one thing though...it's DH and my 20th Anniversary on August 6th so we're having a nice lunch at Wine Country Trattoria to celebrate.

Happy Anniversary Sweetpea2011! party: it's mine and DH 25th wedding anniversary on Aug 4 and we will be heading down to Buffalo for our overnight before heading to Florida!

We bought our flights in December when the CAD was around $.90 and also got most of our spending money at that time too but our tickets for US, car rental and US hotel was all at around $.80 ish. Just got an extra $200 USD for the kids yesterday and it cost me $265 CDN so that's me done now!

Our villa was in GBP which confused the situation even more :confused: but as we are going with an English family we paid for the US & IOA stuff and they paid for the villa :thumbsup2

Ugh I just paid off our trip. :sad: Painful but I figured I'd better bite the bullet and do it before the dollar drops more.

Just heard as I was driving to pick up lunch that our dollar is at 76.76 cents right now :(
Lowest its been since September 2004.

Please... make. it. stop.

grrrr....

Last edited:
I just paid off my balance of $2500 on Monday. It came to something like $3250. :crazy2: I paid $2200 in May and I should have paid in full, but I was hoping for our dollar to improve. That gamble didn't work. Lol.

I just saw it's the lowest it's been in 10 years. Hopefully we will see it go up next year. The price of oil can't stay down forever.

Happy Anniversary Canadiankim! My name is Kim too, and our anniversary is on Aug 6th. :D Hope you have a great time, despite the low dollar.

So frustrating. I remember when we went to Hawaii in 2010 I think it was, and the dollar was at par or slightly above. It was awesome!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter