CDN Credit Cards at US gas pumps

Da2154

Earning My Ears
When we drove last March, I had a lot of trouble of US gas pumps that asked for a Zip code. And most pumps were pre-pay with this feature. A real nuisance.

We're driving again later this year. What has the situation been like this year? Has anything changed? Do any of the workarounds that have been posted online actually work? Are there any chains with pumps that you've noticed that detect Canadian cards and don't ask for Zip code?

Its the same as you experience... northern States don't have this zip requirement, but the further you go South, the more you will encounter it.

For example, I can buy gas in Mass, Maine, or New Hampshire with no issue, but Texas and Florida .... need a zip with some exceptions. see link http://www.i75online.com/GasList.html

Ted

At a number of gas stations, you can use the 3 digits in your postal code followed by '00'. For example, if your postal code is P7L 2J6, enter '72600' when the pump asks for a zip code.

I can't remember where I read this, but it worked for me 3 out of 4 times in February when I was asked for a zip code.

you can usually put 00000 as your zip code if you live in canada thats what they told me down in orlando when you use the gas stations same as in buffalo and washington

The way we handle it us one of us goes into the store and pre-pays in there. The other waits at the pump and starts pumping as soon as the pump is cleared. By the time the other comes out the car is half filled. No hassle at all.

We discovered if you have a Sam's Club card and go to their members only locations you can use your credit card no problem.

Otherwise you have to go in and pre pay before you pump.

When you drive you own vehicle, not so much a problem as you know how much gas it should take, it's when you have a rental.

When you drive you own vehicle, not so much a problem as you know how much gas it should take, it's when you have a rental.

Even that isn't a problem. With a gas station at virtually every exit on the Interstates, you just pull off when you get to about 1/4 tank left, put in $25 worth and your good for 500km. Very easy. A quick break at that point is usually welcome for us.

I find it incredibly frustrating. For starters, I want to FILL my tank ... I don't want to put in less, because i underestimated. And I don't want to prepay too much because i LOSE money when the credit goes back on my CC. Or it's even a hassle if paying cash.

We found a few weeks ago that BP was the one that generally didn't require the ZIP code. We even have a "fuel first" card from the Racetrac chain which allows us to swipe card, fill the tank, and then go in and pay. :thumbsup2 We got it last year on a trip when I was voicing my frustration to a gas station attendant ... supervisor said "yep, it's really lousy for our Canadian travellers. Here's a card so you don't have to prepay." Unfortunately, we think that this chain may have either gone out of business or closed up a lot of their stations because we didn't see them this March like we used to. :(

A word of caution, I went to prepay at a station in Georgia, asked if I could use a travellers cheque. She said yes. I gave her a $50 and told her I'd like to prepay $25. Then she informed me that she "isn't allowed to give change on a travellers cheque." :scared1: I told her that she WILL give me my change, because she should have told me that BEFORE I signed the thing. Finally another girl came out and said "just give the lady her $25." I came out of there even more frustrated than with the whole ZIP code thing. :headache:

I don't like to carry a bunch of cash for gas, and while I understand they have had issues obviously with customers pumping and runnin', these gas stations are not "traveller friendly." :rolleyes1

The poster who posted about using the 3 numbers in your postal code and a couple of zeros is correct. Now I can't remember if you put the zeros in front or behind but it does work. It was printed in the CARP (Canadian association of retired person's magazine and my parent's told us about it) magazine and my parents and my husband have used it numerous times over the last couple of years when traveling in the US.

We ran into the same issues in California last year. We have a USD Mastercard, so getting the refund wasn't that bad when I overestimated how much gas we needed. Will have to remember the zip code thingy for our next trip. We've had problems using our debit card in the States too, they only accept cards with Visa/MasterCard symbols and most stores do not have pin pad devices for the chip anyways.

We discovered if you have a Sam's Club card and go to their members only locations you can use your credit card no problem.

Same with Costco...if you have a costco membership and you fill up at one of their stations, you can use your own credit card.

I tried using my fast pass (Esso) at Chevron (same company) and it was declined because it wasn't recognized, even though they have the exact same program in the states.

I also tried using a zip code from the states, but it wouldn't accept my card with a different postal code from my credit card. I don't mind going in to the station, but it does get annoying when you are trying to return the rental car and you have no idea how much you have to put in to fill it up.

A word of caution, I went to prepay at a station in Georgia, asked if I could use a travellers cheque. She said yes. I gave her a $50 and told her I'd like to prepay $25. Then she informed me that she "isn't allowed to give change on a travellers cheque." :scared1: I told her that she WILL give me my change, because she should have told me that BEFORE I signed the thing. Finally another girl came out and said "just give the lady her $25." I came out of there even more frustrated than with the whole ZIP code thing. :headache:

That doesn't make sense....not saying that what you did was wrong...they obviously misunderstood that a travellers cheque is just like cash, and yes, you do get your change. I wonder if she thought it was like a voucher instead?? All I know is that I would've freaked, and then if she wouldn't of given me my change, she would've had to deal with my husband, and I'm the nicer (and less scarier) when angry!

We came accross this issue a few years back in Mass. I had no idea what to do so I just put in 90210 and it worked :lmao:

Same with Costco...if you have a Costco membership and you fill up at one of their stations, you can use your own credit card.

I tried using my fast pass (Esso) at Chevron (same company) and it was declined because it wasn't recognized, even though they have the exact same program in the states.

I also tried using a zip code from the states, but it wouldn't accept my card with a different postal code from my credit card. I don't mind going in to the station, but it does get annoying when you are trying to return the rental car and you have no idea how much you have to put in to fill it up.

I thought Costco only recognizes Amex? Is the gas different? Will they take Visa at the pump?

We came accross this issue a few years back in Mass. I had no idea what to do so I just put in 90210 and it worked :lmao:

:laughing::laughing: Too funny. But great info. I find it really frustrating too. Not just in Florida, but when I go into Washington too. All the stations I've used require Zip code.
I am so going to try either my digits with 00 at the end or the 90210 and see if something works :thumbsup2

Using Postal Code numbers + 00 has also worked for me.

If your Postal Code is M5L 3J8

key, 53800 and it should work.

I've used this often and not had any problems.

I believe one way to get around it is to use your debit card - then you just have to key in your 4 digit pin number ... we haven't tried this yet, but are looking forward to seeing if it works during our trip to Orlando in May.

Great info, thanks! Dh always groans when he has to go into the station to pay! LOL

Using Postal Code numbers + 00 has also worked for me.

If your Postal Code is M5L 3J8

key, 53800 and it should work.

I've used this often and not had any problems.

I read this tip in a travel magazine about a week before we left. Tried it at 3 different stations in Orlando and Sarasota, failed at all 3. Brands were 7-Eleven, Hess, and Chevron. Maybe because my numbers (17100) don't look right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter