CC Stingray Adventure

aam23110

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
Does anyone have any reviews on the Stingray encounter on Castaway Cay? I have a 7 year old daughter who really wants to try it. Did it require advanced booking or could we just book on board or maybe on-site that day?

Thanks!

:cool2:

We just got off the Dream on 8/25 and did the Stingray feeding with our 7 yr old who does NOT snorkel and swim very well AT ALL, she also is a bit squeamish and so we were concerned with her feeding the stingrays but she wanted to try it.

So heres what happens: you do definetly need to pre-book it. You will go to the window and get your gear and then sit down for a little talk about the different sting rays and what you are going to do, then they break you up in groups (you stay with your family) and there was 4 of us and anohter famiy to one station. A lady was there who explained again how to feed them, you basically are given a piece of food and you hold it in between your fingers and the sting rays will come up to you and when you feel them take the food you slide your hand away, it was really neat and my daughter did it ONE time, we were able to do it again and that was it, we were then able to put on our snorkel gear and snorkel around mainly just the stingrays were in the water a few tiny fish but the more movement the stingrays moved away from the people, then they told you it was time to stop, the whole excursion was an hour but it was plenty of time to snorkel since there wasnt tons of stuff to really see. IT was a neat experience if you have never done it before. We probably wont do it again, but its something you dont get to experience its worth it. They dont pressure anyone to feed them at all, so if anyone doenst want to thats fine you still stand in the semi circle and can pet the stingrays. I recommend it at least trying it~~ Hope you enjoy it!!

We did this in May with our 7-year-old son, and he LOVED it! Our 4-year-old was actually really jealous that he couldn't feed them as well, although they did let him stand with me just off to the side of the feeding station and watch (he was thrilled when the rays would swim by and brush his legs!). The 7-year-old was nervous about the feeding part at first, but after his first try he was hooked. He thought the squid was a little gross, but other than that had no complaints. He and my DH snorkled with the rays after the feeding, his first time ever snorkling. He loved that as well, and they stayed in the water almost 45 minutes.

We just got off the Dream on 8/25 and did the Stingray feeding with our 7 yr old who does NOT snorkel and swim very well AT ALL, she also is a bit squeamish and so we were concerned with her feeding the stingrays but she wanted to try it.

So heres what happens: you do definetly need to pre-book it. You will go to the window and get your gear and then sit down for a little talk about the different sting rays and what you are going to do, then they break you up in groups (you stay with your family) and there was 4 of us and anohter famiy to one station. A lady was there who explained again how to feed them, you basically are given a piece of food and you hold it in between your fingers and the sting rays will come up to you and when you feel them take the food you slide your hand away, it was really neat and my daughter did it ONE time, we were able to do it again and that was it, we were then able to put on our snorkel gear and snorkel around mainly just the stingrays were in the water a few tiny fish but the more movement the stingrays moved away from the people, then they told you it was time to stop, the whole excursion was an hour but it was plenty of time to snorkel since there wasnt tons of stuff to really see. IT was a neat experience if you have never done it before. We probably wont do it again, but its something you dont get to experience its worth it. They dont pressure anyone to feed them at all, so if anyone doenst want to thats fine you still stand in the semi circle and can pet the stingrays. I recommend it at least trying it~~ Hope you enjoy it!!

My thoughts exactly. Just note that you will only get to feed them once or twice at most. That particular aspect I found pretty disappointing.

Our sone will turn 5 2 weeks after our cruise, and is big for his size. Any chance that they will let him do the Stongray Adventure?

My thoughts exactly. Just note that you will only get to feed them once or twice at most. That particular aspect I found pretty disappointing.

I've done this twice, once last September and again this past May, and we got to feed them way more than once or twice! Both times we had an earlier in the day excursion (once at 9:45, once at 10:30), so perhaps fewer people sign up that early? In September I probably got 10-12 turns, there were only 4 other people at my feeding station. In May we each got about 7-8 turns; that time it was three of us and one other family of 4.

About the age restriction - yes, they very strictly enforce it. They have your birthdates on file and no one under 5 can even register.

I've done this twice, once last September and again this past May, and we got to feed them way more than once or twice! Both times we had an earlier in the day excursion (once at 9:45, once at 10:30), so perhaps fewer people sign up that early? In September I probably got 10-12 turns, there were only 4 other people at my feeding station. In May we each got about 7-8 turns; that time it was three of us and one other family of 4.

About the age restriction - yes, they very strictly enforce it. They have your birthdates on file and no one under 5 can even register.

Holy schnikies, I got robbed. We were at the noon excursion on our day and there were maybe 8 people around our feeding station. Everyone got to do it once, and the first one or two people to my right got to do it one more time before they ran out.

Our sone will turn 5 2 weeks after our cruise, and is big for his size. Any chance that they will let him do the Stongray Adventure?

Nope, my boys turned 5, 3 days after the day at CC. It was a no go!!!! As the OP mentioned, they know how old he is and the system will not let you book.

We did the CC Stingray Excursion in February. Myself and my 2 DD's who are 12 and 7. My youngest was a little un sure about it first but once she realized there was nothing to be scared of she got to feed them and touch them 5 times. The people running it are so good, and made sure that my youngest DD had nothing to fear. The snorkelling part was fun..Once we got the hang of it , it was great fun. One of the coolest things we have ever done. I'm glad we did it. :goodvibes

I think this might interest my kids too. How does it work, do I have to sign up too? My sons are 9 & 11.

Do we need to sign up if we just want to swim with the kids after they feed the creature? I am assume we do or maybe there is an observer fee :confused3

Do you turn in the snorkeling equipment when your done, or do you get to use it the whole day? DH and DS 12 have it booked for our Sept 24 cruise.

You book the Stingrays at CC when you book your excursions online on the DCL website. Everything is provided for you at CC. All you need to do is show up.

FYI - they clean and disinfect the snorkeling equipment between sessions, too.

We did this excursion a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. We also did the stingray encounter in Nassau which involved a 20-minute boat ride to a small island. The water at the island was a little rough (it was very windy) so we had a hard time standing in one place while in the water, but after the main group left the stingray snorkeling area to eat lunch and enjoy the beach, the crew let us stay behind and feed the stingrays all the rest of the food (small fish, kind of like sardines).

We did the 7 night Western Caribbean cruise in January 2010. I booked a Stingray Excursion on my own for the Grand Caymen port. It was a choppy day and the excursion was almost cancelled. My son, then 9 and I went on the excursion. He was scared to get in the water because of the choppiness and it was rough for me too, but I did love it. Because he missed out, I decided to see if I could book him at CC....we were able to do it right at CC. He and I loved it!!!! So much more relaxing, quite a bit of time in the water, snorkelling, and the feeding of the stingrays was quite cool! I think we did it 2-3 times.

I am thinking about doing this exact same excursion for our 4 nighter in October. He is interested in it and I think my 13 year old grandson would still like it.

Have fun!!!!

I cannot decide between this stingray excursion and the Nassau Blackberd excursion! Either way should be a fun time!

We did the stingray excursion at Castaway Cay and my family (kids 11 and 7) really enjoyed it! There was only the 4 of us at the feeding station and we got to feed them multiple times. Snorkeling with them after was alot of fun. I would highly recommend it.

We had done this excursion in 2005 and loved it. You got to feed them about a dozen times, giving you a chance to really warm up to it. Even as an adult I was a little nervous about feeding them. When we did it this past June, I sort of felt it was a rip off. My kids were squimish and I figured the tour operators on CC would be used to seeing this and coax them into doing it. Instead, when it was their turn and DDs said no, the person with the food just handed it to the next person. We went around one more time and it was the same thing. I think had my kids watched others feeding the rays a few times they might have tried it. At least it wasn't super expensive and didn't eat up our whole CC day because I was pretty disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter