CC 5K

but then I remember I didn't run as far as my medal says I ran. ;)

Even if the track isn't exactly 5K, I'm sure you still ran longer than some of the other runners! I did the run on 11/13 and couldn't believe the amount of people that turn back only halfway along the second bit of airstrip near SB. Also saw some people decide to stand just around the corner from the airstrip (heading from the airstrip towards the 'loop') just out of site of the CMs serving water, they didn't want to do the distance around the loop and rested until the rest of their group did it. Chatting to a lady I caught up to on the second time through the loop, who told me two very large people passed her early on in the run heading towards the finish saying they sprinted the distance.... hm really o_O I don't try to get too involved with what other people decide to do, but even something as little as completing a 5K run made me feel really pleased, and getting the medal and buying some merchandise to say so felt pretty cool. Dunno how I'd feel doing that if I did half a race with a 20 minute break in the middle...!

Can an 8-year old participate unofficially? Would they give out a medal? My DD regularly runs 3 miles with DH. She would love to do this with him.

Can an 8-year old participate unofficially? Would they give out a medal? My DD regularly runs 3 miles with DH. She would love to do this with him.

The minimum age to register is 10. I believe I've read that younger kids could "tag along" with mom or dad, but would not receive a bib or medal since they are not considered participants. Of course, dad could share his bib and medal with her after-the-fact but she would not get her own.

Enjoy your cruise!

OH, can anyone else verify is is this is true, that the little ones can tag along? This would be a good option for those of us with younger kids.

OH, can anyone else verify is is this is true, that the little ones can tag along? This would be a good option for those of us with younger kids.
Participants must be at least 10 years old. They will have the kids club on the island open and you can drop your children under 10 off there as the group is heading to the start line. The cast members have runners with children walk at the front of the group so they can drop their kids off.

The unofficial stance is that since it is an open course including the bike path they can't physically stop your child from walking with you. The big thing is if something happens to your kid it is on you (even though if something happened to you it would be on you too) and they will not get a bib or metal or water at water stops so bring hydration for them.

Just know it is HOT HOT HOT on the 5K. I have done it in February and it was still much hotter and more humid than even running in FL.

My 12 y/o daughter is the only runner in our family. Can I get off to "watch" her? I don't feel comfortable just letting her off the boat by herself to run without having a meeting point that I can collect her at the end.

My 12 y/o daughter is the only runner in our family. Can I get off to "watch" her? I don't feel comfortable just letting her off the boat by herself to run without having a meeting point that I can collect her at the end.

The runners can't get off the ship until the same time as everyone else, so you can accompany her off the ship to the start line (which is also the finish line). When I participated there were a few groups that debarked where not everyone was going to take part. There's some shops in that area too that could keep you occupied while you wait for her to finish :)

Even if the track isn't exactly 5K, I'm sure you still ran longer than some of the other runners! I did the run on 11/13 and couldn't believe the amount of people that turn back only halfway along the second bit of airstrip near SB. Also saw some people decide to stand just around the corner from the airstrip (heading from the airstrip towards the 'loop') just out of site of the CMs serving water, they didn't want to do the distance around the loop and rested until the rest of their group did it. Chatting to a lady I caught up to on the second time through the loop, who told me two very large people passed her early on in the run heading towards the finish saying they sprinted the distance.... hm really o_O I don't try to get too involved with what other people decide to do, but even something as little as completing a 5K run made me feel really pleased, and getting the medal and buying some merchandise to say so felt pretty cool. Dunno how I'd feel doing that if I did half a race with a 20 minute break in the middle...!

I commented on this in the other 5k thread...we were on the 11/20 sailing, and ended up running the race on the ship while Captain Henry and crew had to make 3 attempts to get us docked. The CM's organizing the race offered to hand out the medals before the race, and many people simply took their medal without running, period.

On the Nov 13, 2015 Disney Wonder sailing out of Galveston, I got my runner number and a ticket for the 5K at Guest Services the night before. There was no line so I walked up and received.

We met at a lounge the morning of the race at 8:30 am, and they had the course up on the screen / collected tickets / described the course / took us off the ship for the 10-minute walk to the starting position. I hit a restroom once off the boat on the way to the start line as it's a slow process with dropping off kids at the club and the sheer number of people running.

To answer the question on families getting off at the same time, that is how it worked on our cruise (families got off with the runner, some dropped off at kids club but some I'm sure hit the beach). Had I known, I would have disembarked with my DW and 2 DD's (4 years and 21 months) to save my DW from having to corral the kids to the finish line by herself to meet me after the race. So for Lainey321, I'd say to go with your daughter to the meet-up time and get off at the same time. Could always get a runner number and ticket and not actually run to be safe.

So we know our 8 y/o won't want to do it and probably our 11 y/o won't want to do it again. Anyone know if you can drop the older kids off at the tween place before the run? We've dropped off at Scuttle's Cove before but never had an older kid not want to run before.

Both my husband and I would like to run the 5k. We have 13 month old. What are our options? I don't think the childcare will be open yet. Do we run with him in the stroller?

I am going to my 1st one this feb
Looking forward to it
8/99 4day Magic
4/02 7 day Magic
8/03 7 day Magic
11/05 4 day wonder pin cruise
8/06 7 day Magic
8/08 15 night Panama Canal
8/09 7 day Magic double dip on CC
8/11 Alaska
12/12 Christmas on the Fantasy
2/14 5 day out of Miami on Wonder
12/14 New Years on the 7 day Magic
2/16 7 day Fantasy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter