CC 5K - Friendly environment?

BassClarinetGirl

Earning My Ears
I'm going on a Disney cruise this summer (7 night eastern Caribbean on Fantasy, sails 7/12/14) and I'm considering doing the 5K. It would be my first 5K. I'm sure I could finish it (I run a fair amount for softball) but it definitely won't be fast or even a decent time. Is it a friendly environment for slow and inexperienced runners? My goal is to finish anywhere but dead last haha :lmao:

I haven't done the 5K either, but I plan on it this September! I've read a lot of posts on here from various posters and it really seems that there is room for everyone from runners to walkers of the 5K. I hope to be somewhere in the middle.

Absolutely! I did my first 5k on CC in October and was nervous I would be the last one to finish and be running with a bunch of hard core runners That wasn't the case at all. It was a very casual, fun, and friendly event and some walked it. I say go for it!

We did it two years ago, we ran with two 8 year olds Actually 3 8 year olds because we picked up one from another family because they were running with a 6 year old also Anyway, there were a few walk/runners who finished way after the 6 year old and the cast members were cheering for them as were the rest of us Very newbie friendly

Be warned though, also very hot and humid in Sept when we did it

Hit every water stop or you'll be sorry the rest of the day

It's very low key. One time I got confused on the course and missed a loop, and if a finish time could happen when the race is "over". It's fun and certainly something to do but it is very loose and unofficial. And hot. And humid.

Lots of run/walkers. I'm a very slow runner, but I set it as my goal to beat the lady that was walking it in a full back brace. Glad to report I made it!

Friendly? Here's our memorable experience:

A few runners were commenting on a few others wearing running jerseys... like triathlon type look. I was doing this:duck:

A woman of the jersey wearing group ended up near me just prior to the race start. I commented that I liked her matching gear with her fellow runners. Now, here's the part that made it so memorable- her son was running the race, the first time he ever ran. The mom went on to say that she and her husband were runners, and that her son had always wanted to do it (he appeared in the early 20's age range) but had a disability that prevented it (became evident now). She and her husband wanted to make it special for him, a family event, and they ran the whole race with him. It was so special I hung around at the end to cheer them in!! :worship:

One of those moving experiences I'll never forget.

We showed up in one of the bars the morning of Castaway and then just walked the whole group down to the beginning. Be prepared for the longggggg walk to the starting line. I felt like we had already walked half of a 5K before we started. It was low key...it was also like running on the surface of the sun in June.

The activities director said he would be at the finish line handing out ribbons until a certain time and then he would have to go back to the ship and would send ribbons to later finishers' staterooms. My goal was to make it before he left. I was one of the last ones he handed ribbons to and it took 45 min.

It was a great activity and the Tshirt I bought for it was cute :)

Definitely friendly! We ran a month ago and there were runners/walkers of all abilities. There was a gentleman who "won" but came back to the water station and cheered on the rest of us. Our cast member was there till the last person finished and the course was cleared, everyone got their medal at the finish line. No need to worry, you'll do awesome!

I agree that it's very friendly for new runners.

It was my first 5k last November and I was the last to finish! But as they say, better last to finish, than did not finish. And if you are injury free, both are better than did not start!

My DH -- who is the most supportive husband in the world -- waited with the CM at the water station and cheered me on each time I passed. He walked with me towards the finish line, but let me jog the final stretch. Other guests -- even teenagers-- cheered for me as I headed to the end.

I was faster per mile at the Tink 10k. And it shocked the heck out of me that almost 2000 finishers were slower than me! --Suzanne

As 5k's go, this is very very low key and informal. There is no "official" time so you don't know where you place really. I've done this twice and both times the main key point is: It's hot. I would suggest carrying a bottle of water with you. Also, last time I ran it, I followed the path of the first time I ran it and apparently ran around the bike path backwards (whoops). No one seemed to care aside from the serious confusion I caused for the guy behind me as well as the opposing traffic runners who thought THEY were all going the wrong way.

Go me! :confused3

Just echoing what others have already said.

I started a "couch to 5k" program last October, in the hopes of being able to run the CC5k on our cruise last week. My first day of the program, I couldn't even complete a 60 second jog, and I'm proud to say that I was able to jog the entire 5k course without walking (even if I was as slow as molasses, and my jog was barely faster than other people's walking pace). It took me 46:08 to complete, and I was nowhere near the last person on the course, although I would have been ok with it if I was.

Even being Pooh sized (although not nearly as Pooh sized as when I decided to change my lifestyle last summer) and super slow, I did not feel self conscious while running, and a number of the "faster" runners gave me high fives and words of encouragement as they were passing me on their way back to the start. Not once did I feel self-conscious, and it's such a laid back event, that people who are in much better shape than you will congratulate you for making the effort.

Today, you are required to sign up ahead of time at the port adventures desk. It is still free. You must bring your KTTW card, the port adventure ticket and photo ID the morning of. You will then get a bib.

You'll all walk off together and walk to the starting line. At the end of the race, the CM will hand you the medal. There are CC5K t-shirts for sale. Note that some sizes do run out, but typically they have additional stock in the back. You'll need to persuade them to get more in that case.

I've done it twice - in August 2012 and last December. It is low key, but this last time, it was much less walkers than runners than before. Numbers vary tremendously. Both times we got about 25-30, but there are times that there are over 100 runners.

Regarding what to wear, the more experience you have as a runner will show with the gear you wear. I wore a regular t-shirt and my swimming shorts, but do have running shoes. My DS16 never run any races but wanted to run so he wore the same and did much better than me!

I was new to running when I did it and I loved how the more experience runners were encouraging as they ran back by you in the loop of the course.

I did it last week. I signed up the morning of with no problems. I am a fairly "serious" runner, and I'd say it was about 20% "serious" runners, 50% "casual" runners, and 30% "never ran in their lives." It is definitely loosey-goosey and no one will think anything of you if you walk or come in last. VERY low key and "unofficial."

For those with kids--your kids can get off with you, and you can check them into Scuttles Cove right before the race. You can also bring a beach bag and leave it in a secure locker at the start of the race, so you don't have to go back to the ship if you don't want to. Wish I'd known that.

It is VERY hot and humid, even in February. Run with a bottle of water, for sure.

So the child care switches to Castaway Cay that morning right? Is Scuttles as secure as childcare on board? Can kids walk with you? (A previous poster said yes, but I have heard both ways) Thanks! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter