CBR vs Port Orleans

Sandyt05

Earning My Ears
I am having a hard time deciding between CBR and Port Orleans. Which is your favorite and why? We are a family of three (daughter is 6 years old) traveling to WDW for our first time. Which location at each resort is the best?

Thank you!!

I am having a hard time deciding between CBR and Port Orleans. Which is your favorite and why? We are a family of three (daughter is 6 years old) traveling to WDW for our first time. Which location at each resort is the best?

Thank you!!

We've never stayed at POR, but we loved CBR. Loved the caribbean atmosphere, the food court, and the bus transportation. With that said, POR looks like a beautiful resort and I have read great things about it. Not sure what room type at POR you would book, but for a 6 yo girl, I think a royal room would be fun. Good luck and happy planning :).

Tough choice. CBR is beautiful! The outdoor sitting area next to the bar is fantastic. Port Orleans is a little more "woodsy" IMHO. CBR a little more tropical. The piano player at POR is fantastic - I always go even if I don't stay there. Although that is my favorite place to stay. Either one you won't be disappointed. Afraid that as i'm writing this I'm not much help, love both! Good luck and let us know which you choose.

I love POR, and was totally under-whelmed by CBR.

At both resorts, if you want to be close to the food court, pay for the preferred room location. Both resorts are very large! However CBR has 3 more bus stops than POR, which made it seem much larger than POR to me. And made the trip around the resort before leaving for the parks that much longer.

CBR still has double sized beds instead of queens, if that is important to you. Every other moderate resort, including POR, has queen sized beds.

Also I think the food court at POR is worlds better than the one at CBR. More choices, and a nicer layout.

You are going to get all kinds of answers on this one. I have stayed at both POFQ and POR and CBR, so I will give my opinion and you can do with it what you may.

Both CBR and POR are large resorts and have Preferred Rooms (but they cost more). This area is where I feel CBR beats POR, CBR has an internal shuttle that will move you from "Island to Island", but at POR you will be walking it. This is not a problem at POFQ as it is a small resort.

Transportation: We found the bus service better at CBR for transportation to the parks. But that is just our opinion. So, POFQ rates higher here for us, as it is a smaller resort and only one bus stop, so while you may not always make it on the first bus, there is always one shortly behind. So my ranking for Transportation: 1st: POFQ, 2nd: CBR, 3rd: POR

Pools: We like the Main pool at CBR the best. POFQ is geared more towards younger children, as the slide is for the less adventurous and the CBR slide is for the older kids! POR pool, we found to be dirty, water was really cloudy and always full of debris, but this could be because it is surrounded by trees and such, where CBR and POFQ are not. While at POR we spent alot of time at the quiet pool in the mansion area. Ranking: 1st: CBR, 2nd: POFQ, 3rd: POR.

Food Court: Hands down POR has the Best Mod. Food Court!!! They have the best selection for adults and kids meals!!! CBR comes in a close 2nd, as they offer kids meals in sand buckets which can be used on the CBR beach. We just didn't eat too much at POFQ food court the time we stayed in the past, but OMG!!! The Benieghs are to die for!!!!! Ranking: 1st: POR, 2nd: tie CBR and POFQ

Rooms: This is a personal issue for everyone, we love the size of CBR's rooms, they are a bit bigger than POFQ and POR, but they only have full size beds and well we like our space when we sleep in this family. So, the queen size beds at POR and POFQ are desireable. But we also have been known to travel with twin size air mattresses for the DDs, so we make due with that at CBR.

We like all 3 resorts, but for different reasons. We probably won't stay at POR again, we prefer POFQ and walk over to POR for the food court. CBR is our favorite, but POFQ is a very close 2nd!!! We have stayed at CBR the most, but this time we are trying POFQ again. I am hoping we are going to love it!!! The 1st time we tried there, it was raining the whole time, it was Dec. and cold, so the kids didn't really get to enjoy the pool, and we are really hoping for a pleasurable time!!! Good luck choosing, it is a hard choice!

Having stayed at both, I think it basically boils down to theme preference. The two are similar in size and ammenities ... I give the edge to POR though (CBR still has full sized beds in the std rooms while POR has queen sized beds). POR is our favorite Moderate but if you prefer sand and palm trees to woodsy trees and green grass, then CBR is still a good choice.

Hi! I've stayed at both CBR and POR many times, with two children.

We love them both!

I think, for me, the main difference for a family with a 6 year old is - IF s/he isn't a strong-ish swimmer and would like a kiddie pool area - absolutely I'd choose CBR. The kiddie pirate ship area is fantastic. There is a height maximum limit (check that out before you book if its important). My older child really wants to go in that area, but it is fully fenced and they are strict - they do not let you in over a certain height. Which I think is great for families with little kids.

I wish I had stayed at CBR when my kids were little, for the kiddie pool area alone.

Oh - and I'd absolutely pay the extra cost for a preferred room (at either resort, but especially CBR).

We have stayed at both resorts and our favorite resort is CBR. We love the tropical feel to the resort and the beautiful, white sandy beaches. The main zero entry pool is wonderful. The food court has a variety of good choices and the gift shop is also very nice. The rooms are quite large with lots of storage for your stuff. We have always had good bus service at CBR. Occasionally there has been a glitch but I figure this happens at all the resorts one time or another. CBR, to my family, is like a tropical vacation inside of Disney if that makes any sense to anyone. We love it.

POR is also beautiful but the theming did not appeal to us. The food court is also good with many selections. The pool is OK but not our favorite. The bus service was not stellar the time we stayed and I will admit that might be why I am not partial to the resort. But the boat ride to DTD is fantastic. My mom still talks about how much she enjoyed it.

Good luck in your decision. You are at Disney so really any resort you choose will be wonderful.

Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter