• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CBR Reviews???

Mr. Baloo

Mouseketeer
OK, I know that not everyone can be pleased with everything... but a lot of the reviews really make me worry about my upcoming trip to CBR... Should I be worried? Is there a good chance that I will get one of these "bad" rooms???

Help me rest easy about my vacation.... Thanks.

I suggest reading the CBR FAQ thread listed below. If you start at the back you will lots of current trip reports.

CBR is a great resort.

We fell in love with the Caribbean Beach Resort the minute we stepped on the resort property. Everything is so lush and beautiful. The buildings are painted bright colors and we saw no peeling paint anywhere.

You will check in at the Custom House. Our check in went extremely well. All of the windows were full and there were numerous families in front of us. We were checked in, given our room key/theme park tickets, shown to the concierge desk to get our Hoop Dee Doo Review tickets and on our way to our room in less than 30 minutes. Most people won't visit Custom House again until they check out so it is not necessary to request a room near the CH.

We were assigned to Jamaica, Building 41. Our room faced a beautiful courtyard. All of our requests (non smoking, upstairs, facing courtyard) were met. We were just a 3 minute walk to the bus station and a 5 minute walk to Old Port Royale. It took less than a minute to the Jamaica quiet pool and beach.

The rooms at the CBR are 340 sq. feet where the other moderates are 314 sq. feet. Believe me, you'll be glad you have the extra space when you get all your things in the room.

The room was immaculate. There are two beds (unless you request a king size room which has only one bed), a nightstand, a table and two chairs, a large mirror, an armoire with three large drawers, a refrigerator, a padded bench with large drawer beneath and a peg type shelf. The mattresses were replaced in May and June, 2006. They were replacing them during our stay. Because the beds were raised off the floor, I stored our luggage beneath to get them out of the way.

The sink/closet area is of ample size. The sinks are enclosed in a wooden cabinet and there is storage underneath each sink. The closet rod and shelf are pretty long. There were a dozen hangers and we brought along 2 dozen more. I also brought along a mesh laundry bag for our dirty clothes. There is a privacy curtain that can be pulled to separate the sink/closet area from the bedroom which is nice when everybody is trying to get ready at once.

The bathroom is the typical size. No mold, no mildew, no loose tiles. I checked.

A coffeemaker, iron, ironing board and hairdryer are provided.

Mousekeeping was wonderful. They cleaned the room thoroughly every day. They also replinished the coffee, linens, towels and toiletries.

We never heard our next door neighbors. No running water, no flushing toilets, no talking, no nothing. One of the quietest places we have ever stayed.

Each village has their own quiet pool and white sandy beach. The Jamaica pool was never crowded and, sometimes, we had it all to ourselves. The laundry facilities are located right beside the pools so you can do your laundry and not feel as if you are wasting any vacation time.

The beaches were swept clean every night. It was nice to laze around in the hammocks on the Jamaica beach and watch the Epcot fireworks at night. Some of the beaches have small playgrounds for the little ones and some have volleyball nets for the bigger kids.

We found the island in the middle of the lake to be a nice getaway. Tropical music played all around the island and there were benches placed here and there. We even saw some families having picnics and birthday parties on the island.

You can rent watermice, pontoon boats, sailboats, canoes, surrey bikes and bicycles from the marina.

The main pool was pretty crowded during our stay but we didn't mind because we used the Jamaica pool. Located beside the main pool are a pool bar, a hot tub and hair wrap station.

Shutter's is the full service restaurant. Even our picky 9 year old son found something he liked on the Caribbean themed menu.

The food court served a variety of foods. You will find burgers, chicken strips, rotissiere chicken, vegetables, pizza, pasta, salads, fresh made sandwiches, yogurt, assortment of desserts, veggies and dip, fresh fruit, fresh bakery items, etc. At breakfast, you will find breakfast meats, mickey waffles, omelets, eggs, fresh bakery items, etc.

The store is divided in two with one side selling CBR themed items such as pirate items, swimming suits, flip flops, jewelry, etc. The other side sells the more traditional Disney items such as t-shirts, purses, watches, snowglobes, toys, etc.

There is a medium sized arcade. You purchase a refillable playing card and just swipe it at the game you want to play. No keeping up with tokens or coins.

We loved the CBR so much we booked our June, 2007 stay just days after arriving home from our June, 2006 stay.

Hope this helps with your decision making process, Lisa

I just wanted to subscribe since I am staying at CBR in July! I am not worried at all about the rooms, btw. This is my 2nd WDW trip so I am a bit of a newb BUT I can say this: Our first trip to ASMo was a not so good start. We got a room in the opposite area we requested and it stunk like smoke, which I am highly allergic too. We called a CM at the front desk, they offered to have someone **** and span it up. I still was not satisifed and called back before mousekeeping ever arrived and we got our room switched instantly. My advice, is check in early. Last trip we got in at about 2:00 when checkin was at 3:00 but it was January so this time we timed our flight to get to checkin around 12:30 so we can be somewhat earlier. ;)

I went in Jan of this year. It was the 1st time at a mod resort and I decided on CBR. I was a little worried too after reading all the reviews, However we LOVED it....
hotel1.jpg

They put us in Aruba and it was perfect. We were right across from the bridge that went to the main building, Food court. So every morning we had breakfast, My friend LOVED the eggs so breakfast was a must then we went out front and caught the bus.
hotel_walkway.jpg

This was also the 1st time EVER in all my trips we got not one....... but 3 towel animals

toweldog.jpg

towelswans.jpg

Our Mousekeepers where fantastic. We did tip each day so maybe that helped and the 1st night I requested an extra blanket since it was a tad chilly and it was on the bed when we returned to our room.

I will say that when we 1st arrived the room smelt a little musty like old cleaning products so I just opened the door for like 20 mins while we settled in and it was fine after that.

I also seemed to get lost finding my room, could have been me it all looked the same my friend didn't seem to have a problem :)

Have a great trip !!!

We just returned the day before yesterday. i was worried too. But the worry was unfounded. I loved the resort. The room was super clean, beds were comfy, food was good. We were in room 1507 in barbados.

DH and I have stayed there twice and loved it both times. :)

Lisa: Great post! Thank you for all that detail. Hubby and I are booked at CBR for November. We stayed at POFQ last year and really liked it, but since we actually got married in Jamaica, we wanted to try out CBR. We can't hardly wait. And your post made it even more exciting for us. I hope the next 8 months go by somewhat quickly.

My daughters love CBR! We all love the beautiful tropical themeing and colors, the white sandy beaches with hammocks and ducks, the quiet pools and the main pool, the food court, and the bus service. The rooms are quite large with two double sinks, also. We stay in the Jamaica Section, and it is just a very short walk across the bridge to the food court and the main pool. One trip I changed and booked POR, and my girls hated it. We all love the CBR/tropical themeing. So now I don't even ask them, I just book CBR.

Linda T.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

June, 1979 - Offsite
June, 1995 - CBR
June, 1997 - CBR
June, 1999 - POR
June, 2003 - CBR
July, 2005 - CBR

Hopefully, July, 2007, CBR :)

I'll put it this way: I prefer a 60 dls Country Inn room than the CBR's I had. The room was awful, small and dirty. The coffeemaker was terribly dirty, the furniture was so poor, the bathroom was really small, and well, I didn't like it at all.
The resort theme is nice, but when you arrive from the parks the less you want is to walk any extra inch, but I guarantee that in this resort you will walk incredible long distances, even when you are in a preferred building.

I'll never back to this resort.

We just stayed at CBR for the first time in Feb, and we LOVED this resort. No problems whatsoever. Great mousekeeping, beautiful landscaping, great food court. It is big, we requested and got Jamaica and absolutely loved it. We have stayed at POFQ, CSR, and now CBR, and CBR is the first resort to give us the room I requested. Go and enjoy!!!:thumbsup2

I've stayed at CBR twice and am going for a third time this year. Love the resort...the theme, the main pool, the quiet pools, the food court, the hammocks on the beach, the playgrounds for kids, the table service restuarant. I couldn't complaint about anything. One tip I picked up from mousekeeping is check the bus stops around your room, meaning the stop for your island may not be the closest, we stayed in Aruba 51 which is directly across from Jamaica and the Jamaica bus stop was WAY closer.

Have a good trip!!

I'll put it this way: I prefer a 60 dls Country Inn room than the CBR's I had. The room was awful, small and dirty. The coffeemaker was terribly dirty, the furniture was so poor, the bathroom was really small, and well, I didn't like it at all.
The resort theme is nice, but when you arrive from the parks the less you want is to walk any extra inch, but I guarantee that in this resort you will walk incredible long distances, even when you are in a preferred building.

Just out of curiousity- how did the CMs react when you informed them of your disgust with the room?

We had a problem with our room in ASMo and once we reported it they sent mouskeeping- and when I got impatient waiting and called back they actually moved us. But, we checked out our room first thing to be sure everything was alright and reported it right away. I am just wondering the CM reaction that didn't lead to either of these outcomes for you as well?

I thought the CBR had one of the largest rooms of all the moderates?:confused3

I hear that people complainabout the walk at CBR, but we stayed in Barbados on our honeymoon and I don't remember such a long walk. Maybe because it's landscaped so nicely we didn't notice? I enjoyed walking around there.

We had fun renting a bike and riding it around the lake.

I think one comment on here was quite uncalled for.The CBR was a beautiful place and how can anyone complain about the walking here?The grounds are so beautiful and after a busy day it is nice to have a leisurley walk back in lovely surroundings.Im sure if the hotel knew you were not happy they would of changed your room.They do there best to please.
We got married and stayed here and stayed in building 46 in a corner room in Jamaica which was nice as we had 2 windows in our room,and yes it looked over a courtyard but was also by the bus stop and only a 5 min walk over the bridge to all the main areas.
I am sure you will have a fantastic time and after all you don't spend all the time in the hotel and a holiday is what you make it at the end of the day.
My daughter who is 4 loved it here.As we did a split stay at here and pop we didn't get to enjoy the surrey bikes etc.
We are staying at POR this time just to see what another moderate is like but I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

:banana: :dance3:

We also loved our stay here. I was worried also after reading reviews. We could not have been happier. Great rooms, mousekeepers, busses, etc. We were even upgraded to a preferred room. I did not have alot of walking. Not sure what that comment was about:confused3
Have a great trip!!

Which section should someone staying at CBR request?
We did not pay for preferred or waterview so our options I believe are Aruba, Jamaica, Barbados, and Trinidad South. We were thinking that since the footbridge is between Aruba and Jamaica and I know the dbf will want breakfast every morning we will request to be in either of those- sound good? Is one of the other sections better? We have heard a lot of good reports from people staying in Aruba and Jamiaca, have heard that Trin South was a very secluded area and have heard nothing about Barabados, what do you guys think?

Jamaica or Aruba is great. I don't think you can go wrong with any location at CBR. Trinidad South is great if you want to feel like you are in a secluded small resort. Many people love it. But if you want to be close to the food court and main pool I would recommend Jamaica or Aruba.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter