• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CBR Review

Amy&Dan

DIS Veteran
We just got back today from 11 nights at CBR. I am happy to report it was a great stay! This was our second stay at CBR, but the first one was over five years ago. I am glad we returned.

We arrived around 11:00 p.m. on Thursday the 22nd. I had done online check in and was happy that this time around, I could request a section. I put Jamaica and Aruba as my two choices and we got Jamaica, first floor, room 4328. We loved this location. The smoking courtyard was right outside our door which at first concerned me, but it was almost always empty and the smoke smell was never a bother. They kept the flower pot/ash trays cleaned out and anyone that used it was always considerate. Dd often sat out there to read and generally had it to herself.

We loved the quiet pool and the beach, both of which were close by. The walk to the main pool and Old Port Royale was easy enough over the bridge, I'd put that walk at 5 minutes tops. The beach was always kept clean, and dh and I enjoyed sitting in the hammock one night and watching Illuminations. The main pool would get packed in the afternoons and I think it needs more seating (but no place to put it so thats not happening) but we did enjoy a few afternoons there. I do think the main pool is a bit more geared to younger kids (ours are 17 and 15) but the quiet pool was perfect. And we did enjoy having two hot tubs and again, liked the main pool just fine but do think that the cool pirate area which is great for little kids, sucks up a lot of space that is totally useless for anyone with older kids. But you can't have everything!

The food court was fine, we had breakfast a couple of times and lunch twice in our ten days. It was all good. I do prefer the food court at POR but what we had was still good and everyone that worked there was very nice.

Our room was very nice, I like the spacious dresser, the fact the trunk has storage space and the large bathroom area with two sinks and lots of storage was great. Really nice and far better than the bathroom at POR we had last summer. Our room was very clean and in good shape. The beds were super comfy. Housekeeping was fine, we had no problems with that.

We had very good luck with the busses in that we literally never waited more than ten minutes for any bus the whole time we were there. The route can take some time, and I can see how some people get frustrated with the time it takes to get through the resort, but we were okay with it. Compared to POR's route and the route some of the other resorts share with each other, it really didn't feel that much if any longer. I just enjoyed the scenery and for Epcot, AK and DHS, we were the first stop picked up and it usually took 10-15 minutes for us to pick up the other stops. MK was a bit different, we were more in the middle for that one. I would rate our bussing as very good and we did not experience a lot of times where the bus would be too full to pick up all the stops. Standing room only sometimes but never a time when the driver could not pick up a stop. Which happened to us on more than one occasion at POR last summer (we were the last stop in the route that stay).

All in all, it was a wonderful stay! We so did not want to come home, the landscaping is so beautiful. All the cm's were great. We did use bell services to get to our room and back to the Custom House for check in and out, but for all our other needs (we upgrade our tickets to park hoppers and dh had our boarding passes printed) we were able to do that at the guest services desk at Old Port Royale. We were also able to easily get our park tickets a day early (we had two room nights before starting our free dining package) at the Custom House (I am betting they could have done that at Old Port Royale but we just went over to the custom house) which was nice and literally took about two minutes.

I am really hoping we can return to WDW in October. We are big POR lovers, but POR was not available for our dates this trip. Knowing how much we had enjoyed CBR back in 2006, I was excited to return but figured we'd go back to POR next trip. But I think we may just return to CBR instead. We are hoping to go back in October for a week if I can get decent airfare and we'll see but I am putting my money on a CBR choice. While I think the food court and main pool at POR are my favorites, the tropical theme, beaches and quiet pools at CBR are big winners for us. I'll add, we also love CSR so who knows, we may end up there!

I will hopefully post some pictures later, I need one of my tech minded kids to help me figure that out since they are all in my Smart phone!

I am really hoping we can return to WDW in October. We are big POR lovers, but POR was not available for our dates this trip. Knowing how much we had enjoyed CBR back in 2006, I was excited to return but figured we'd go back to POR next trip. But I think we may just return to CBR instead. We are hoping to go back in October for a week if I can get decent airfare and we'll see but I am putting my money on a CBR choice. While I think the food court and main pool at POR are my favorites, the tropical theme, beaches and quiet pools at CBR are big winners for us. I'll add, we also love CSR so who knows, we may end up there!

We too were hoping to stay at POR (either one of them) in October but they are sold out so we'll be at CBR. We stayed at CBR a couple years ago and had no complaints, but this time we wanted to try POR and the DD boats. I am happy to hear Jamaica wasn't too far from the pool, we are hoping to be in that area. Last time we stayed in a pirate room, and it was fun, but the walk to the pool was too long for us with the little one.

Thanks for the review. We want to stay at POR also. But if we do it will be in a royal room. But I'm not sure I'm willing to pay the 400.00 upgrade to that room catogory. So we will probably stick with CBR.

This will be our last moderate we have left to try. So part of me says to stick with CBR. I will say the theme of POR appeals to me more for some reason. My girls are younger but I don't think they will be intrested in the pirate thing much. We have one of those are our local water park and the girls never ever use it. The prefer the big pool. We will be having at least 2 resort days so the pool set up is a concern of mine.

I just returned yesterday and thought the same thing! It was a great stay. I had also stayed here many years ago and almost didn't book this hotel because of all the bad reviews. I go to Disney 3 times a year, and so far, CBR is my favorite! Although I would never go to Disney again during spring break d/t the crowds, I would definitely return to CBR.

So happy to hear a positive review about CBR:wizard: We will be there in June. We stayed there in 2007 & loved it. Our DS is now 11 & excited because he doesn't remember CBR too well. I whole new resort for him.:cloud9:

Staying at CBR and my online check in was Sunday - I'm doing it now. I'd love a corner room, but I'm not sure what "Village" I should request. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks for sharing. We are staying in the Pirate room in June and are super excited!!

Thanks for the review. We want to stay at POR also. But if we do it will be in a royal room. But I'm not sure I'm willing to pay the 400.00 upgrade to that room catogory. So we will probably stick with CBR.

This will be our last moderate we have left to try. So part of me says to stick with CBR. I will say the theme of POR appeals to me more for some reason. My girls are younger but I don't think they will be intrested in the pirate thing much. We have one of those are our local water park and the girls never ever use it. The prefer the big pool. We will be having at least 2 resort days so the pool set up is a concern of mine.

Kelly, the main pool is separate from the pirate splash area. Its a nice pool with a couple of slides, zero entry and two hot tubs. As far as the pool itself, I think CBR's main pool is equal to POR's. I just wish it had a bit more seating, and at POR's pool, there are some somewhat secluded areas that are shaded, a bit away from the pool to relax in. I sort of missed that. I think your girls would love the main pool at CBR and I will say, CBR's quiet pools are nicer imo than POR's. And each village has its own, whereas at POR, a quiet pool might not be all that close to your building depending on which area you are in. The Pirate area at CBR is part of the pool complex, but its separate enough that it feels like its own area.

I just returned yesterday and thought the same thing! It was a great stay. I had also stayed here many years ago and almost didn't book this hotel because of all the bad reviews. I go to Disney 3 times a year, and so far, CBR is my favorite! Although I would never go to Disney again during spring break d/t the crowds, I would definitely return to CBR.

The crowds were intense which is why its good we had a resort we loved! We spent a lot of time enjoying our quiet pool and the beach. We would go to the parks every night but almost every day, we'd be at the resort for at least a few hours if not more. I just didn't want to deal with the crowds and with the new fp rules, it wasn't worth it to go in there if you didn't want to be there awhile. We still managed to see and do everything we wanted but for sure, the crowds were a factor in how we spent our days.

Staying at CBR and my online check in was Sunday - I'm doing it now. I'd love a corner room, but I'm not sure what "Village" I should request. Any thoughts/suggestions?

I really enjoyed Jamaica. We were in Barbados last time and we also enjoyed that area. That one (Barbados) is nice because you are very close to the Custom House. So if you plan to take cabs anyplace and also want to avoid having a bell man take your luggage (if you don't have a car) that is a great section. We also spent some time at the Aruba pool and beach (Jamaica's pool was closed two days for some reason) and that area was also super nice. Honestly, I think any section would be good, dh and I walked around the resort several times and decided we'd be happy anywhere.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your CBR stay. I am anxiously counting down the days until we are back again!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your CBR stay. I am anxiously counting down the days until we are back again!

Lisa, I am jealous! We had such a good time, all the cms were so nice and we came home to snow and cold and I am homesick for CBR! Have a wonderful trip, can't wait to read about it!

Glad to read this review as I will be there in exactly 2 weeks for the first time! :dance3::yay:

Have a great trip!

Amy, haven't seen you around in ages and had no idea you were going to Disney. Glad you had a great trip and enjoyed your stay at the CBR.

Amy, haven't seen you around in ages and had no idea you were going to Disney. Glad you had a great trip and enjoyed your stay at the CBR.

Kathy, I have been so busy with work and some family issues, I hadn't been on much. But we did go. My Easter Treat to me is to read up on your trip reports!

I miss talking to you and all my other disboard friends.:sad2:

I'm so glad you posted this review. We are going for ten days on sept 26th. We originally had POFQ booked as it is our favorite resort. We couldn't get free dining there and had to change to CBR. We are a little nervous about it but your review made us feel so much better. Do they have the pod coffee makers in the rooms there? Can't wait to go!!

I know last year when we were there they had the filter packs that you put into the coffee makers but they were not full sized. I think they were for four cups. Im not sure what exactly a pod is??

Yes, they had coffee makers in the room. I think as the pp said, it was a 4 cup type pot. We don't drink coffee but it was there because I remember moving it to the lower shelf of the bathroom vanity!

Kathy, I have been so busy with work and some family issues, I hadn't been on much. But we did go. My Easter Treat to me is to read up on your trip reports!

I miss talking to you and all my other disboard friends.:sad2:

You missed the big announcement--Markie is engaged. I'm way behind on my girls TR from our January trip, but it is starting to move along again.

Sorry to hear you've been having family issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter