CBR or CSR?

christophfam

DIS Veteran
Which would you pick and why?

We are a family of four with two preteen children. We've been to many of the values (just OK), AKL and WL (loved both). Next Sept., we have decided to try a moderate. I've narrowed it down to CBR and CSR. Not sure which one will suit us better. We will be on the free dining bounceback and will be driving to the parks so busses aren't a factor.

Thanks!! :goodvibes

You will get a lot of differing opinions on this--and you will get your favorites of each coming out. We have only stayed at the CSR (seven times and have booked the bounceback for free dining for next September for our 8th stay). My DH offered me the Poly for our trip this year for our 25th anniversary, but I chose to again stay at the CSR--I just love it. All of the beds have been (they are working on the last group now) to queen beds; the main pool is great with a wonderful slide, a sand volleyball court and arcade right by the pool and a huge hot tub; there are three quiet pools, fitness center and a spa. A lot of people don't like the food court at the CSR because it is set up different, but we have never had any problems with it and love the food.I will agree that sometimes the servers can be unfriendly, but I tend to ignore them most of the time as we take our food to go and sit out by the lake to enjoy the view. The grounds are lush and beautiful...during the day and especially at night when the lights are reflecting off the lake and the fountains in the Casitas section (our favorite section).

We have stayed at both. My family and I loved CBR and can not wait to go back! We would not return to CSR.

CBR is great! Beautiful grounds, white sand beaches, hammocks by the lake, Caribbean music playing quietly everywhere, a relaxing tropical feel, a beautiful bridge and island, great and huge food court, friendly CM's, double sinks in the bathroom with LOTS of storage space underneath, and the LARGEST rooms of all the moderates! All that, PLUS a brand new zero entry pool and a new children's pirate pool. And all the rooms are currently being redone. It’s like a vacation within a vacation, a “leave your worries at the door” kind of place! :cloud9:

Good luck with your decision and have fun! :goodvibes

From what I understand both resorts are nice. The question for you is what theming do you think your family would like best? Do you prefer the beachy, carribean feeling, or would you prefer the Southwest, old Mexico theming? Will you be spending lots of time in the room or will it just be a place to "crash" at night. Would you prefer a slightly larger room CBR is 340 sq ft and CSR is 314 sq ft, or does 2 queen beds (CSR) verses 2 double beds (CBR)make a difference to you. You didn't mention budget but CSR offers a junior suite (2 rooms, 2 bathrooms) @ $350 night value season and is the only moderate to offer suites, plus beginning in Jan. they will also offer Business Club Rooms with a special lounge and concierge services for $255 night value season. They also have a spa, a lounge and room service, which the other moderates do not offer. I have read that some folks are turned off by the "conventioners" at CSR while others are turned off by CBR for other reasons. Only you can decide what is best for your family - and part of the fun part is selecting where to stay. We are in a similar situation and have chosen to stay at CSR because of the queen beds and extra amenities, but we also prefer the SW feel, although Pirates of the Carribean is my favorite ride in the world. Maybe you will feel the opposite and that will be great for you. Whatever you decide - have a great time!:wizard:

CSR!! I love CSR for the atmosphere, great CM's and the deluxe-lite feel. CSR offers a spa, salon, full menu room service and fitness center not to mention a terrific main pool area and the best transportation that is not shared with any other resort. It's like taking two vacations in one. Queen beds too!

CSR!! Great main pool area, awesome transportation, and terrific food options. Check out my CSR website below for pics and info. CSR now has queen beds in all the rooms and will have club level rooms as of 01/2009!!

11kfg3p.jpg

ostjs3.jpg

2igcfa0.jpg

2vijc02.jpg

We've only stayed at CSR-while it was a nice resort it didn't feel
like it was geared for Families but more of a business conference resort.
Since our 1st stay we've tried other MODs which
opened my eyes to other things that I felt were lacking
at CSR. We've stayed at POR and POFQ and these felt more family
geared and had more of a disney feel. We will be trying CBR for
the 1st time this upcoming trip and hoping we will love it as much
as the PO Resorts.

I've stayed at both too, and agree they are both great.

When we stayed at CSR we had 2 pre-teen girls and 1 teen boy with us and they LOVED the food court (I also liked it alot better than CBR)

My kids complained every morning when we had to cross the bridge to the pools and food court at CBR because early in the summer mornings on the way to breakfast it was smelly and we had to hold our noses! Also the CBR pools are very busy with little ones especially, and my kids actually preferred the quiet pools when we stayed there.

The CSR pools were not as crazy busy and the theme-ing was a little more exotic in the older kids minds.

While CSR seems more spread out, I also think that CSR is much more "romantic" in the evenings and quiet, especially around the lake. Sometimes the only romance me and the (ex)hubby got on our vacation was the quiet walk back to the room from the food courts, after dark, with kids strolling along behind us.

I don't think you can go wrong with either resort, but I truly think the food court at CSR alone is reason enough to choose that resort. It's set up differently, like a market and there's all sorts of food teens love. If I had kids under 10 with me, I'd go back to CBR.

Would love to know which you chose and how it was when you get back!

Depends on your wants.

We were just there in September and toured both. It had been a few years since I'd visited either.

CBR - Loved the new pool and new hot tub/cool spa! We didn't go in, but they looked really nice! Super Clean! A good hot tub is something we really value in a resort. We'll probably never stay at the Poly! The new water park area looks really cool. The pool has two water slides, a tame one and a more adventurous one, plus several mini-slides on the water playground part. The food court is colorful, and has some unique food items. There was a fun game of limbo going on while we were there. CM's were playing music and clapping.
The food court is set up in a fairly efficient manner. I like the way it's set up. Each area is clearly defined, and it's easy to get your food. Tehre's a single cashier area, so that could be a bottle neck at times. But overall, if getting food quickly is a priority, then this food court will probably be faster.
Then we drove around this resort. It is BIG, and spread out. I really like the new pirate themed rooms, but they are far from the main building. You'd lose lots of time walking from main building to those rooms. I love the idea of queen sized beds at CSR.

CSR - After two really bad meals (Tusker and Chef Mickey's) We decided to try dinner here almost out of desperation. I remembered the food being good, and hoped it hadn't gone as far downhill as Checf Mickeys. CM was REALLY BAD, IMO!
WE were able to get a bowl of strawberries; fajitas with salsa, lettuce, beans and tomato; a really good pizza (WAY better than pizza elsewhere on property); and a steak that acutally came with nice green beans!!!!! Wow real veggies!!! All using QSR credits! (though the strawberries were considered an extra snack.) It was a slice of heaven! After dinner, we opted to take a slow walk around the grounds. Yes, CSR is large, but not as rambling as CBR. On one side of the circle is the pool, on the other is the food court. So if you are away from main buliding, at least you are close to pool. Both are pretty resorts, but I think CSR at night is really pretty. CBR is prettiest in daylight. In some ways the theming is similar though.

The main pool and hot tub at CSR aren't as new and splarkling, don't have zero depth entry, don't have the new water playground. I still think the pool at CSR is exceptionally pretty with it's pyramid, but it's mostly something to look at, rather than somethign interactive. The water slide is good.

Adjacent to the Pepper Market dining is a bar. It's enclosed now (in the past you see folks drinking while you dined), but there is still a bar with adult conference attendees milling about. If you like the bar aspect, we didn't go inside, but the lighting/decor looked pretty cool.

There's pool bars at every resort, so you will always see some folks drinking at all resorts. At Pop, the pool bar crowd was especially prominent. At AKL, it is MUCH more discreet. These two resorts fall in between. Some folks find drunk conference drinkers more disturbing. I personally find obviously intoxicated parents slightly more disturbing. I don't mind some drinking, it's just that lots of obviously blitzed strangers are a somewhat disturbing sight at WDW....

In truth, CSR is probably just as big as POR, but it doesn't feel quite as big to me. At both, I recall that we were able to park very close to our room. I also recall that at both of these (unlike POR) the nearest bus stop was very close to our room.

There's pool bars at every resort, so you will always see some folks drinking at all resorts. At Pop, the pool bar crowd was especially prominent. At AKL, it is MUCH more discreet. These two resorts fall in between. Some folks find drunk conference drinkers more disturbing. I personally find obviously intoxicated parents slightly more disturbing. I don't mind some drinking, it's just that lots of obviously blitzed strangers are a somewhat disturbing sight at WDW....

EXACTLY!

Recently booked our bounceback trip @ CSR after visiting the resort & trying the Pepper Market for lunch. We didn't get a chance to try CBR.
Before we got there, I envisioned a style of southwest decor I never liked from the late '80's that was kinda tacky with too much seafoam green & peach in it's color palate. Instead we found the resort to be tastefully decorated & very clean. We rented a surrey & took a tour. Being around the lake, pools, fountains & having the beautiful maintained sprawling grounds really suited us. I think CBR must be very similar, but it's so different from AKL.
I didn't think I would be a moderate resort type of person. But disney has done such a good job with this one. I also choose this moderate over any of the others due to club level option. I thought with the rain & thunderstorms that frequent the month we'll be going, it will be nice to have access to the club lounge. Also, it's my understanding, all the club level rooms will be located so that your not far from either the big pool or the main building. :thumbsup2

We have stayed @ CSR and will not be returning. No Disney feel...may as well stay off-site and get a nicer room for the money, @ CSR you are at a convention resort that is not close to any of the parks.

We are choosing CBR for our next trip because of the new pirate rooms and pirate pool. My kids are really excited about those 2 factors alone! We tried POR last spring break and liked it a lot. We do plan to try CSR in the future if we can drag the kids away from wanting the pirate pool.....

I would choose CSR between these two resorts. CSR is very close to three parks and has great bus service. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for all of the posts! Sounds like I'll be fine at either one, but the queen beds are a big plus for us at CSR. The zero entry pool at CBR is not. Begiensgirl, thanks for your post about your preteens. That helps a lot also since what you're looking for changes as the kids get older.

Budget is definitely a factor or we would be going back to AKL or WL. I'll pay the extra to upgrade from the values to the mods though. DH said he just wanted something more relaxing than the values next year so that is why we're going to the mods. We don't spend a lot of time at our resort, but even with just sleeping and an occasional trip to the pool, the vibe of a resort can make a difference on your overall downtime relaxation factor away from the parks. The values may have that Disney feel, but they do not give you that downtime. That is what I am looking for and why I've narrowed it down to CSR and CBR.

I think I'll log onto allears and look at some more pictures...:goodvibes Thanks again!

I would suggest looking at pictures of both resorts to see which theme suits you and your family best. For our family...CBR wins hands down! We absolutely love the resort!

Don't know if you'll have a car or rely on the buses. We always rent a car and we drive to each park. It takes about five to seven minutes to the Studios, AK and Epcot and about ten to fifteen, depending on traffic, to the MK.

Also, we were there the first week of September and on the Saturday night/Sunday before we departed (on Tuesday), a huge convention came in. We saw them only in the morning. DH and I had the hot tub two nights basically alone at 10:30 or later; most of the convention people were at the Laguna Bar. People often say you see too many suits; we saw one conventioneer in a suit...the rest were in casual attire and very envious that we were playing and they were working. Here are some additional pictures of the CSR for you:

DSC03983.jpg

DSC04013-1.jpg

DSC04019.jpg

DSC04164.jpg

DSC04162.jpg

DSC04166.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

DSC04252.jpg

I've stayed at both too, and agree they are both great.

When we stayed at CSR we had 2 pre-teen girls and 1 teen boy with us and they LOVED the food court (I also liked it alot better than CBR)

My kids complained every morning when we had to cross the bridge to the pools and food court at CBR because early in the summer mornings on the way to breakfast it was smelly and we had to hold our noses! Also the CBR pools are very busy with little ones especially, and my kids actually preferred the quiet pools when we stayed there.

The CSR pools were not as crazy busy and the theme-ing was a little more exotic in the older kids minds.

While CSR seems more spread out, I also think that CSR is much more "romantic" in the evenings and quiet, especially around the lake. Sometimes the only romance me and the (ex)hubby got on our vacation was the quiet walk back to the room from the food courts, after dark, with kids strolling along behind us.

I don't think you can go wrong with either resort, but I truly think the food court at CSR alone is reason enough to choose that resort. It's set up differently, like a market and there's all sorts of food teens love. If I had kids under 10 with me, I'd go back to CBR.

Would love to know which you chose and how it was when you get back!

I have no clue as to why you would have to hold your nose because of a smell at CBR???? We've never experienced any bad smells at CBR!! The island is filled with fragrant flowers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter