• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CBR and renting a car

carrie6466

DIS Veteran
We booked CBR for 4/1 - 4/7 with the intention of using Disney transportation for the week. Having read a lot about this on this board and other sources, I am now wondering if we would be better off renting a car? The original reason for not renting one was simply less stress waiting for a bus than finding parking, worrying about gas, we don't plan on doing anything outside of WDW this trip and it gave us a good excuse not to visit those friends and relations who "only live and hour OR SO away <G>"

Can anyone give me pros and cons here?

Are the waits for the buses long? (In looking at a calander on the disney website, the week we are staying is marked as a 'discount' week so my assumption is it won't be as crowded as some other times)

Do you have to pay for parking if you are staying on-site and have a rental car?

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

There is no charge for parking at WDW if you are a resort guest. Many people enjoy having a car while others enjoy riding the bus. Personally I found a car better since I could come and go on my schedule.

I use Disney transportation. I live on Long Island with some of the worst driving (drivers) around, if I can I let someone else do the driving. I am on vacation and want to take it easy, I do not need to fight traffic leaving the parks at the end of the day.

Thanks for the replies!

I use Disney transportation. I live on Long Island with some of the worst driving (drivers) around, if I can I let someone else do the driving. I am on vacation and want to take it easy, I do not need to fight traffic leaving the parks at the end of the day.

We, too, live on Long Island! I second the whole letting someone do the driving thing, which was our plan from the start. I am just concerned because I've been reading a lot about CBR and how big it is.

We do rent a car, but it's for convenience with spending a day at Universal and we prefer to drive to Downtown Disney. Other than that, we use the buses.

We rented a car in November (week of Thanksgiving) because we flew into Sanford instead of MCO. We parked the car at CBR when we got there and did not get back in it until we left 4 days later. We had no issues with bus transportation at all. I think one time we had to wait about 20 minutes.

My family and I stayed at CBR the first week of May last year. We regretted not renting a car. The wait times for the buses were never super long, but we got tired of having to stand up on them, couldn't come and go quite as we pleased.
I would also say that your decision should hinge on which building you will be in at CBR. We were in the Trinidad section, and the food court was a 20 min. walk away. So it was either the long hot walk, or wait for the internal bus to come around. Would have loved a car for just those instances.

I just returned from WDW. It was my eighth trip and the first time we rented a car. It has it's pros and cons. We've always found the buses to be fast and efficient. A car gave us freedom but we had to navigate, deal with parking...

If I stay onsite and don't plan on leaving Disney property, I will not rent a car. If I want to try Universal/Sea World or stay offsite, I will.

We've been going down for over 20 years and have always rented a car. We use it to go to all the parks. I myself would much rather drive than ride the busses. I guess it's just a matter of opinion. We also like eating off property,etc. It's a nice break at times. Also, we LOVE going to Ci Ci's. Yum-O

We've driven both times we stayed at CBR, but we park our car when we arrive and don't get in it again until time to go home. We've never had a problem with the buses at CBR.

I thank everyone for the replies!

I have one more question on this : if we don't rent a car at the airport and decided we want to rent one after a day or two, is there anywhere at the hotel to do that?

THanks again to everyone for all your help.

Definitely the bus! It's so nice to park your car at the airport and not worry about all the traffic and parking and fees until you get back home.

The times vary, but the only place we ever had a slight delay in waiting was leaving Epcot to go back to CBR.

My advice to people trying to make the decision is to take the bus at home a couple times. If you don't mind it, you'll be in heaven. Disney busses are the same, but they are cleaner, more colorful and have Mickey ads instead of ads telling you not to smoke while you're pregnant.

If you don't like having to wait for a bus, having to make transfers to get where you're going (and the extra time it takes) and not being able to just drive to wherever you darn well want to go, then renting a car is probably the better idea.

Some folks hate the bus. Others feel that driving is such a chore that they're pleased as punch to use the bus.

Only you can know what is best for you. :)

I thank everyone for the replies!

I have one more question on this : if we don't rent a car at the airport and decided we want to rent one after a day or two, is there anywhere at the hotel to do that?

THanks again to everyone for all your help.

Not at the hotel, but at Disney's Car Care Center. (It's very close to the Magic Kingdom entrance). A shuttle bus from the rental place can pick you up at CBR and bring you to the car care center. We did this on our last trip and it was very convenient.

I prefer to have a car, but to save money, if rentals are outrageous during holiday periods, or I just don't want to deal with the luggage during arrival or departure, I do without a car for short trips and use cabs when I don't want to wait and for long trips I get a car for a few days in the middle. I've gotten cars at Dolphin (by bus), Care Care Center (by shuttle) and the Doubletree on hotel blvd (by cab). All were pretty easy. Last time I did this there was about a $15 surcharge for not renting at the airport.

we are staying at the CBR also. I decided to rent a car for a few days just because to have a little freedom in case we wanted to wonder off the resort. I was thinking about renting a car for a long time and had read many times that you needed one if you stayed at the CBR also, but it is up to you everyone I has their own opinions what they would like to do, if you feel it right it's up to you

You are all very helpful. We've decided to give it a try for a day or two. If we decide we want to rent a car, we'll do it when we get there.

Cool Beans: We don't have much of a public transportation system on Long Island except for the railroad, which is why there is so much traffic :) In the area I live, if you don't have a car, you get a lot of exercise from all the walking you do :rotfl:

We will be staying at CBR, with a car, next week. Not sure how much we will use it, but we are driving from Fort Myers so we will have it as needed. Just wanted to comment on some of the rental options. We have used National at the car care center. We were picked up by a shuttle, and needed to stop at two resorts before getting to the car care center:eek: . Then we found Budget at the Doubletree:love: . They pick you up from your resort, just make a reservation for shuttle service ahead of time. No other stops:) , and they have a really great staff. I have them on my contact list for my cell phone, you never know when you will need a ride.:laughing:

Consider a car rental if you want to eat or shop offsite, great outlet just north of DTD. Also the car is helpful to visit other WDW resorts. It is so easy to park then move the car as needed. The roads can be confusing, but if you study the map prior to driving it helps. Standing on buses is ok, but having a seat in the car is wonderful. We usually stay at a Moderate, so parking is not a problem, plenty of spaces on the trips we have used a car.

Dollar is at the Grosvenor Hotel, which is across the street from DTD. They also have a pick up/drop off service.

Hope you don't mind if I piggyback a question about transportation from CBR. :)
The posts here have already answered some of my questions. If we want to take a cab, how do we go about doing that? I assume they're not sitting at the Custom House waiting for a fare? And, is it expensive to take a cab? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter