Caution: Mean-spirited monorail driver on board!

Anyone ride up front in the monorail with the driver?

We did it this past week and the grumpy old guy driving made us feel terrible for even asking.

My son (12) noted the driver was 'rude' when we disembarked.

This guy needs to find another line of work - in a hole somewhere far from civilization.

What could have been special was very very uncomfortable because of this mean old man.

I'm probably going to write Disney and complain. They need to bathe him in pixie dust - or just toss him in the lagoon.
They could just take him to one of the restrooms and give him a "swirlie"...not pixie dust but I'm sure the water in those toilets is "Magical Mickey water":rotfl:

I'm sure these guys are made aware that sometimes people like to sit up front when they start the job...Rudeness is not acceptable. Most of us have had a rotten day or bad things happening in our personal lives, but don't take it out on customers, clients, patients, etc...

You're that burned out with your job, make a change.

That said, I've had some great conversations with the monorail workers and haven't run into Mr. Rude yet..

That's too bad. We rode up front in January and had a great driver, his name was Eduardo. He even offered to take pictures of us afterwards.

304.jpg

305.jpg

I guess we've been lucky. The times we've ridden in the front we've always had pleasant drivers. One even played Disney Trivia which us which was fun.

I am getting so tired of having to preface so many of my posts with "Disclaimer: I am NOT defending Disney", but I'm not.

nitsirk987 said:
Our driver was not friendly at all!!! He didn't even say hi, or attempt to chat with us... Never mind make a big deal out of it for DD. He was terrible.
Terrible? Really? What did he hit? How many times did he stop short, throwing unprepared passengers against walls or into each other? How far above the speed limit was he traveling? Which stops did he go beyond? Which stops did he ignore completely?

Sure, riding up front in the monorail is a perq, a bonus. Disney doesn't HAVE to allow it, and I bet if they see all the complaints about "mean" monorail drivers, they'll end the perq before they'd EVER even reprimand the drivers.

THEY ARE DOING THEIR JOBS. While the job description may include transporting passengers in the front car with you, I'm sure it does not demand or even expect friendly conversation.

Would you rather have a monorail driver entertain your child, or would you rather have that monorail driver operate the vehicle in a completely safe manner, even if that means concentrating SOLELY on the operation of the vehicle?

I am so tired of the "me me me" self-entitled attitude in this thread, and the lack of consideration afforded to other human beings - i.e. monorail drivers - by so many of you. Get over yourselves.

I'm done with this thread.

I know I said I was done - and I really AM, after this post - but I do not want nitsirk to feel I was yelling at her, specifically (and really, I wasn't yelling, I was simply expressing my opinion).

I do apologize for quoting just her post - admittedly, it was the straw that broke the kaytieeldr's back; I was addressing EVERYONE in this thread, or reading this thread, who feels their trip was in any way less enjoyable because a monorail driver concentrated on doing the job for which she/he is employed - safely operating the vehicle and transporting Guests - instead of entertaining them or their children.

So, netsirk, I apologize only when the issue is something over which I have control: I am sorry for blasting YOU.

I would think the most important skill to have in a monorail driver is someone who can drive the monorail. Not on if they are great at making chit chat with guests. I have rode up front once, and I did not expect the driver to entertain me, he had a job to do! With lots of people's safety at stake!

Riding up front is a nice bonus Disney offers, they don't have to do it. I think the people who are riding in the cars could care less if the driver is friendly and smiling, as long as they can drive the darn monorail. Unless the driver calls you a name, or insults you, they are doing their job well, and you have no reason to complain.

What I'm wondering is what these drivers are like when they did their interview with Disney. I'm sure guest relations was a big part of the interview. Did they fake it just to get the job? :confused:

We were there 2 weeks ago and I considered asking to ride up front, but the driver didn't seem very friendly - kind of cranky actually - so we just rode with everyone else. No biggie. We were just thrilled to be there period.

We pay alot of money to be part of the DVC, and deserve great service.

Ah yes, the 'we pay a lot of money' argument. Because the other people around you didn't pay a lot of money for their trip, or their DVC? The service is to take you from point A to point B via the monorail, nothing more.

This thread supports my argument that it is time to permanently close the internet. It has created false hopes and expectations amongst readers who do not understand the concept of random magic. Not receiving a towel animal every day of a stay is apparently enough to 'ruin' a vacation. Children not expressing 'enough' excitement about a trip to WDW is apparently 'devastating'.

Monorail drivers performing their jobs with care and attention are considered 'rude'. Monorail drivers, bus drivers, boat captains have a job to do, and if they have the time and the inclination to make small talk it is pleasant, but certainly not required nor should it be expected.

Frankly, I would like to see the front car revert to back in the old days at DL - one paid $3, boarded at the hotel station, and had a round trip in the front car. No bickering, no arguing, no fist fights - if you want the front car, pay for it. And occassionally the CMs gave out some magic and it was a real treat to ride in the front car for free.

This website and the hundreds of others like it are actually doing a disservice to those readers who are so self-centred that they cannot seperate random acts of magic from their 'rights'.

Thanks kaytieeldr for spreading around your crankiness! ;) I will in return share the flames with you...

There is no reason for a monorail driver to be downright dismissive to a guest, period. There is absolutely NO REASON for a driver to not simply smile, offer a hello and a how are you doing to ANY guest lucky enough to ride in the front of the monorail. What I think some of you monorail driver "defenders" need to realize is that not everyone goes to Disney multiple times like a lot of us. For some folks, one time is it, and can you imagine what it must feel like to be all excited about getting to ride in the front of the monorail, only to be made to feel like you are bothering the driver?

It does happen- because it has happened to me, more than once. We are lucky enough to go to Disney on average more than once a year. And we have been in the front of the monorail more than once. Let me tell you- we HAVE had the driver that makes us feel like their job is a nuisance, and we as guests are nuisances. I let it roll off my back, but it pisses me off. I just want to look at them and say- if you're life is so crappy right now that you have to ruin the magic for people at a theme park, then get another job, even temporarily, that removes you from interacting with the public.

Let me be clear-I'm not expecting these drivers to chat me up the entire ride- I do realize they have a job to do. However, not even greeting a guest when they step into the monorail, and treating them like they don't exist, is so completely unacceptable that I can't believe people can defend that. Flame me all you want, but they are in customer service and if they're going to be grouchy about it then please, give your position up to someone who would enjoy it more.

However, not even greeting a guest when they step into the monorail

That part I agree with - not greeting someone no matter the situation is considered rude in many cultures. But I don't think that the majority of posts (and certainly not the first one) focussed on that. It sounded to me that some posters wanted or expected more than a pleasant greeting and parting word; I don't think that it is right to expect more than that.

By the way, I also consider it rude when guests do not greet a bus driver with 'good morning' etc when boarding and thank them when disembarking. The same holds true for the boat launches (obviously excluding the ferries!)

That part I agree with - not greeting someone no matter the situation is considered rude in many cultures. But I don't think that the majority of posts (and certainly not the first one) focussed on that. It sounded to me that some posters wanted or expected more than a pleasant greeting and parting word; I don't think that it is right to expect more than that.

By the way, I also consider it rude when guests do not greet a bus driver with 'good morning' etc when boarding and thank them when disembarking. The same holds true for the boat launches (obviously excluding the ferries!)

You're right- completely agree on that. A simple greeting from both parties is not a lot to ask for, right?

You're right- completely agree on that. A simple greeting from both parties is not a lot to ask for, right?

Definitely! but over on the Transportation Board we recently had a several page argument about acknowledging the FAs when they say 'good bye' on deplaning. :lmao:

Perfect timing on this comment! Just yesterday, I boarded a bus from POR and greeted the bus driver with a smile and "hello". The shocked look on his face was priceless. It seems I was the first person ALL day to greet him. And this was late afternoon! Imagine his surprise when we arrived at our stop and my child THANKED HIM! :thumbsup2

I am off to try and figure out what owning a piece of DVC has to do with a "grumpy" Monorail driver ;)

Perfect timing on this comment! Just yesterday, I boarded a bus from POR and greeted the bus driver with a smile and "hello". The shocked look on his face was priceless. It seems I was the first person ALL day to greet him. And this was late afternoon! Imagine his surprise when we arrived at our stop and my child THANKED HIM! :thumbsup2

I am off to try and figure out what owning a piece of DVC has to do with a "grumpy" Monorail driver ;)

That just makes me sad. :(

bavaria, I :love: your comment about permanently closing the internet. Hilarious! The driver, in theory, should be able to greet the guest at least - say hi and goodbye. Aside from that, they don't *need* to chat, and letting any potential unchattiness ruin my vacation seems absurd. I'm NOT saying anyone HAS said that. It seems this was a damper for many people (and, for some, a rather BIG damper), but I totally, 100%, and immensely agree that guests should be as friendly to the CMs as they want the CMs to be with them. Again, I know some of you were - still a point worthy of driving home.

We had a grumpy driver once (the first time we rode up front) and he made us feel unwelcome. I must say, we decided to point, ooh and ahh and talk amongst ourselves and had a wonderful time. I am there on my dime. :)

Wow, I know I'm not a "regular" DIS poster, but I do lurk every now and then, and I'm shocked about how rude people are on here now!!! This used to be a fun place to find out facts and chat.

I was simply agreeing with others how the monorail drivers were not "pleasant" and people are blasting me every way I turn. :confused3

I agree. :) I make it a point to always thank the bus driver, ME driver and monorail driver on the rare occassion I ask to sit up front.

You never know when your "hello" or "good morning" could change their day. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter