• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Catholic Mass?

Lizal

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know if they still have Catholic mass at the Poly? I'm looking for the times. TIA!

Would you possibly know the times at AKL if it is still there or possibly know any links? Searched Disneys website but couldn't locate anything.

We went to the Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine during DisCon.. actually went twice..beautiful shrine... at that time I talked to Father Hart about why there were no services anymore on Disney property... My understanding is this... they did not have enough priests and wanted to do one service...Disney did not have a space large enough to accommodate the one service that was not already being used for something else... and could not guarantee that it would be available for mass if not being used......now that was from the priest that runs the Shrine.. and who did masses occasionally at the Poly...

It's not a religious institution, after all

By Mark I. Pinsky and Robert Johnson
Special to the Daily Press

December 29, 2002

Walt Disney World doesn't advertise its theme parks as the holiest place on earth - just the happiest.

Still, some religious leaders are dismayed and disappointed that, after Wednesday's popular Christmas services at the Contemporary Resort, the next organized Christian worship at the resort will not take place until Easter.

Citing space problems and concerns about fairness, the giant resort has stopped the regular Sunday services for Protestant and Catholic visitors that had been held at the Polynesian Luau area since 1975. Christmas and Easter services will continue.

"It no longer seemed appropriate to offer only two options for worship to our guests," said Rena Callahan, a Disney spokeswoman.

"As our guest population has grown, so has the diversity of cultures that visit our theme parks," she said. "Places of worship that have grown up around our property are best suited to meet the wide array of spiritual needs of our guests."

But the Rev. Richard Land, president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, had a different interpretation.

"This is just one further step away from what was once was a core constituency of religiously motivated, 'family values' clientele," he said.

Disney's decision, he said, is "more a matter of indifference than hostility," reflecting "a lack of comprehension of how the real country lives and what's important to them."

Other conservative Christian groups, such as Colorado-based Focus on the Family and the Washington, D.C.-based Traditional Values Coalition, have also criticized Disney World's decision to end the services.

No regular religious services are conducted at Disneyland in California, and there are no chapels on either of the Disney cruise ships, according to company officials, nor are there any generic church facades on Main Street, USA.

Disney World still had separate Christmas Day services scheduled on its property. A Protestant service was set for 9 a.m., and a Catholic service was set for 10:15 a.m., both in the Contemporary Resort's Fantasia Ballroom.

But such services will now be rarities rather than regulars.

Since SeaWorld and Universal Orlando don't offer church services, that leaves the relatively tiny Holy Land Experience as the only local theme park with regular services. Holy Land offers free admission on Thursday nights to a non-denominational gathering. It also offers a special New Year's Eve service that includes a talk by Rev. Marvin Rosenthal, the park's founder.

"We wanted to have something spiritual for people who aren't partying," Rosenthal said.

At Disney World, two Catholic Masses and one non-denominational Protestant service had been conducted every Sunday morning since 1975.

Last summer, however, a shortage of Catholics priests caused the Rev. Joseph Harte of Mary, Queen of the Universe, Catholic Shrine to reduce the number of Masses at Walt Disney World to one. When that happened, the single service at the Polynesian became too crowded, and some worshipers had to be turned away.

That, in turn, led to a decision by Disney and the local Catholic diocese to end the Mass entirely and urge visiting Catholics to attend services at Mary, Queen of the Universe, which had been built in the meantime specifically to serve tourists.

The decision, said Harte, was entirely amicable.

"Disney's business is entertainment, and they're very good at it," said Carol Brinati, a spokeswoman for the Diocese of Orlando. "The 'business' of the Catholic Church is to proclaim the word of God. It's up to us, as Christians, to find the appropriate services."

The Protestant services were conducted by a rotating group of six volunteer pastors, according to Robert Stuart of the Christian Service Center, a downtown social service agency that organized the services.

The Protestant services drew between 25 and 250 worshipers, he said. Donations from that service, which went to the Christian Service Center, averaged $15,000 a year.

Would you possibly know the times at AKL if it is still there or possibly know any links? Searched Disneys website but couldn't locate anything.

Where did you get the idea they have Roman Catholic services at AKL? They never have and do not have them. They were only at the Poly.

Mackey Mouse,

I have a cast member friend that is a Eucharistic Minister and she served the Mass at the Poly.
She told me the same reason as the priest told you as to why there isn't Mass on Sundays anymore at the Poly.

It's nice to finallly have the whole story behind the end of the services. Thanks for posting the article.

The Shrine is very close to DD and is right next to the Premium Outlet Center. The link will give you the mass times. It's worth the trip. :)

Thanks to all of you for the information! No wonder I couln't find anything on their website!

One thing to note... Disney did have services for Christmas, and will have services for Easter.

Originally posted by Michele Rossi
I was just there in November. The Contemporary has shuttle service to the Shrine on Sundays.

Actually... Mears has recently discontinued this service...

Thanks to all of you for the information! Just wanted to post a update after our trip. We took a taxi from Downtown Disney to the Shrine. It was about a 10-15 minute ride and the cost was around $10.00 each way. The Shrine did ask for donations. There were a number of masses to choose from. All in all, a pleasant experience.

We're just back and I e-mailed Disney before we left to let them know how disappointed I was they discontinued this and if they were considering offering shuttle service to the church. They never e-mailed me back. They called and left a message on the hotel voice mail. They said they would pass my comments on but they have no plans of offering shuttle service now.

We got a taxi out front of the AKL Sunday morning and the cost to the church with tip was about $20 each way.

I too am disappointed with WDW. We've always gone to mass at the Poly -- it really was wonderful to think that a big place like WDW still had some sort of heart in offering this.

We frequent other amusement parks during the year (e.g. Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH) and they have always held mass at their main on-site hotel -- so what WDW did was not unique.

Too bad Disney ... now we will have to go off-site to attend mass and may be tempted to spend some of our $$$ elsewhere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter