Category 12...confused.

msmith07101

DIS Veteran
Hello! I am a newbie...just booked our first cruise for May '09 for a category 12. There are 4 of us. Here's my confusion...from reading many of these posts, it seems if you book a cat 12, you automatically get an upgrade to a cat 11? And this is because 4 can not be accomadated in cat 12...is that right? If so, why do they let you book cat 12??
Thanks in advance!

Yes, you will automatically be upgraded to an 11 as the 12 only sleeps 3. I believe they do this to get people to book their first cruise. There are a limited amount of cat 12's.

:welcome: to the DIS.

As the PP stated, they do allow a certain number of Cat. 12's to be booked for families of 4 per cruise. Not a large number, but a few. There is some great savings there, and yes, you will be bumped to a Cat. 11 minimum.

I'm not certain the "upgrade" is automatic...my daughter did a cat 12 for four, and stayed there!

Funny, but they got in to port the same time we did in a cat 3!
rxemsi

I'm not certain the "upgrade" is automatic...my daughter did a cat 12 for four, and stayed there!

Funny, but they got in to port the same time we did in a cat 3!
rxemsi

are you sure she was in a cat 12? from what i have heard your reservation may still say cat 12 but if you look at your assigned room on a deck plan you will find it's not a cat 12. the only cat 12's are on deck 2 far forward...a cat 11 is the same size as a cat 12 but are on upper decks...everything that i have read says they can't put 4 ppl. in a cat 12 b/c there is no upper berth.

Cat 12 holds only 3 people. If you book a cat 12 for 4, you will automatically sail in at least an 11.

Your daughter either didn't have 4 people in the cabin or didn't actually sail in a cat 12. The online reservation status will continue to say cat 12 even though the room assigned may be a different category.

So I am betting, and perfectly fine with, the fact that we will stay in our 2-cat12 cabins as we are a family of 6 and booked three of us in each room.

Would that be the general concensus from those of you with more experience?

Whatever happens, we will be thrilled to only have 3 in a room! HA! large families get used to crowded quarters and it will probably feel bigger to us only having 3 in a room no matter the 184sq footage! :rotfl:

Our youngest was under three when we stayed at the POLY with all six of us in a CL level room (I had requested the bigger sq footage longhouse but they upgraded us to CL instead! And we were fine!

So I am betting, and perfectly fine with, the fact that we will stay in our 2-cat12 cabins as we are a family of 6 and booked three of us in each room.

Would that be the general concensus from those of you with more experience?

2 years ago the 3 of us were upgraded to a cat. 11 on deck 7, this was on a March 3 day cruise.

We are a family of four, booked a GTY 12. My parents, family of 2, booked GTY 12.....we both were upgraded to a 10, next door to each other.

Yes, the internet site still says that I am in an inside cat 12, but the room # is a Cat 10 on deck 1.

We are a family of four, booked a GTY 12. My parents, family of 2, booked GTY 12.....we both were upgraded to a 10, next door to each other.

Yes, the internet site still says that I am in an inside cat 12, but the room # is a Cat 10 on deck 1.

The category will always remain at what you booked, not what is assigned to you.
Nice upgrade and even nicer they kept you together. :thumbsup2

My family of 3 booked a cat. 12 for our march cruise. We are upgraded to cat. 10.

We booked a CAT 11 in December. Got our docs and luggage tags then a week out I went online to print our check in docs and we were upgraded to a CAT 7. Only two of us in the room. There really is no rhyme or reason to how the upgrades are done. It just depends on room inventory to fit the most people on the ship. CAT 7 only hold 3 also. But who knows, I am booked in a 12 in May and hoping for a better room . But if we sail in a 12 at least we are on the ship. :yay:

We booked a cat 12 for four people and got upgraded to a 9. With a porthole! Much better than an inside... but we're the farthest aft cabin, heard it might be noisy from the engines -- who cares? We're on a cruise!

Erin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter