Cat with lymphoma

goofyandmore

Mouseketeer
My brother's cat has lymphoma. The cat is about 11 years old. The tumor is in the face (cheek). The vet has referred them to a general surgeon who they are seeing tomorrow. The oncologist in the same practice could not see them for a couple of weeks. Meanwhile the tumor is growing rapidly between the cheek and gums. In fact, they already pulled out a couple of teeth before the dr. realized it was lymphoma. If anyone has any information on this subject, please share. My brother wants to do what is best for his cat. Thanks

Thanks, Safetymom. My brother just called, and it isn't good news. Both the vet and the surgeon said surgery wasn't an option since the tumor has grown too large (in mouth/face).

They said with chemo, maybe the cat would have a few months to live. The vet gave the kitty a shot of pretizione.,

My brother is just wondering if there is anything he can do to prolong the cat's life but not hurt her either. My dog is getting piroxicam, an anti-inflamatory, for bladder cancer, and she is so far doing well with it. But the vet said piroxicam didn't work the same with cats.

If anyone has ANY thoughts, please pass them on. Thanks, Carolyn

I am sorry to hear that surgery wasn't an option. I think your brother just has to keep the cat comfortable and give it plenty of loving now.

Sorry to hear about your brother's kitty. My beloved kitty is 15 and has had a lot of health issues the past few years so I know how difficult these decisions are, you want your little one to live but also don't want it to be in pain.

Over the next few months I would say make kitty as comfortable as possible and indulge him/her with his favorite foods. I highly recommend sushi! Massage will help to relax kitty as well.

From one cat lover to another...my heart goes out to you!

awwww. huggles for the kittycat!. i am a real pet lover, and i really hope that things get better....

awwwww. huggles for the kitty!. i am a real pet lover myself, and it's such a shame things like to happen like that....hope things get better!

Thank you all!! Right now, my brother is giving the kitty lots of love, but he is very worried that he isn't doing enough. He consulted with the holistic dr. today who agreed with the other vets about not doing any chemo or surgery. But he keeps thinking that the chemo would at least be doing something. He is giving the kitty predisone which is slightly already reducing the inflamation from the tumor. He is desperately looking for someone to say that the cat could live another year or two with the chemo but so far isn't hearing that. Any more thoughts are welcomed.

Goofyandmore, I am truly sorry to hear about your brother's cat.

The good news about lymphoma, if there is such a thing, is that it is one of the most treatable cancers we see. With appropriate treatment, long remissions can be achieved --not guaranteed, but possible.

The location of the tumour is unusual. Mouth cancer is common in cats but it is usually not lymphoma. Is your vet certain that it is lymphoma?

Chemotherapy and radiation treatment are the best candidates for treatment. Is there a veterinary college near your brother? If not, seeing the local oncologist is imperative --they are often willing to try things that the general practioner or the surgeon may not.

One thing about prednisone for lymphoma. It really should only be used as a sole treatment if you are certain you are not pursuing chemotherapy, because it makes the tumour somewhat "resistant" to chemotherapy.

Best wishes to the kitty...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter