• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cat with Lymphoma (inoperable)_

goofyandmore

Mouseketeer
My brother's 11 year old cat has lymphoma which the vet and surgeon both said cannot be operated on because it is so big. It is located in the face cheek. Actually, a different vet in the group thought the cheek swelling was infected teeth, and pulled them out. But it was later determined by a biospy to be lymphoma.
My brother is desperate to find out if anything can be done for the cat to prolong her life in a positive way. Both doctors didn't encourage chemo. I am not sure if that was because of the size of the tumor or what. Anyone with any ideas please let me know. The surgeon consulted with an oncologist in his practice and said with chemo maybe 3-4mths to live.
Any thoughts at all are welcome. Thanks

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. If you do a search for some holistic pet remedies online, there are some that can aid quality of life. I just did a lot of cancer research on this because my cat Phoebe had a lump in her neck and we weren't sure what it was. Turned out to be cellulites. If it was my cat, and they weren't in a lot of pain, I would just try my best to keep them comfortable. I don't think I'd do chemo, if it wasn't going to help and make my cat sicker.

Edited to add: If you have a holistic vet in your area, you might want to consult with them. Sometimes they can offer treatments that standard medicine cannot.

We have a Vet. College (NCSU). A lot of people will have their Vet to refer their pets to the College. They saved my mother's cat when her Vet gave up and the cat is living and health now. I know for a fact that NASCAR driver Greg Buffel took one of his boxers there as well. Check to see if you have a Vet College in your area too.

Thank you both! We are in NJ. I suggested that my brother call cornell in NY or U. of Penn. Any other thoughts, please let me know.

Awwwww. I don't have anything to add to the wonderful advice you've been given but I did want to say how sorry I am and that I'm hoping for the best for your brother's cat. :grouphug:

Our cat Rusty was diagnosed with lymphoma earlier this year. It was in his intestines. We made the heartbreaking decision not to put him through chemo. He was 12 years old and the information I got on how much it would prolong his life was not encouraging. So rather than put him through the misery of chemo, we opted to make his remaining time as wonderful for him as possible.

From diagnosis to his death was 10 weeks. He got everything he wanted during that time and when I knew it was time to let him go, we did.

I've always felt quality is more important than quantity and his final days were filled with love, catnip and trips outside with us to lay in the grass and feel the sunshine. He was a great cat and I still miss him.

Best wishes to your brother as he determines what is best for his cat.

Our Rusty.
245569078.jpg

I'm sorry the cat is ill.

As a person who has gone through chemo, I knew that when my cat came down with cancer, there is no way I would have put her through it. An 11 year old cat has had a decent life span. I would think long and hard about who he would be doing this for.

Thank you. This is the problem. My brother is a very kind person and would do anything to help the cat live longer if it was quality. He just doesn't know if he should try the chemo. I think if he knew of some kind of natural supplement that might help but at least wouldn't hurt the cat, he would do it. My dog has bladder cancer, and an anti-inflamtory called piroxicam is helping prolong her life and with great quality. But the vet felt that the piroxicam isn't as effective in cats as it is in dogs.

My wonderful black lab Jake was diagnosed with lymphoma at Christmas, when he was 6 years old. Chemo would have prolonged his life about 6 months, and we decided not to put him through it. He was put on prednisone, which made him feel much, much better and brought his appetite back. He spent the next three weeks running around the backyard, chasing birds and squirrels, and eating like a king. He had a good quality of life for those three weeks, but I knew one night that it was time to let him go - I could see in his eyes that he just didn't feel good. My daughter and I took him to the vet the next morning, and the vet told us he might last another few days but he might be in pain. I could not bear to think of him in pain and dying alone while I was at work and my daughter was at school, so we gave him the shot that morning and held him as he left us. It was the last act of love for him. I still miss him terribly.

Hugs to you all and your cat. If prednisone is an option, I would recommend it, as it made a big difference for our pup during his last weeks.

My brother's 11 year old cat has lymphoma which the vet and surgeon both said cannot be operated on because it is so big. It is located in the face cheek. Actually, a different vet in the group thought the cheek swelling was infected teeth, and pulled them out. But it was later determined by a biospy to be lymphoma.
My brother is desperate to find out if anything can be done for the cat to prolong her life in a positive way. Both doctors didn't encourage chemo. I am not sure if that was because of the size of the tumor or what. Anyone with any ideas please let me know. The surgeon consulted with an oncologist in his practice and said with chemo maybe 3-4mths to live.
Any thoughts at all are welcome. Thanks

If they can afford chemo I would suggest they take the cat to the Animal Medical Center in NYC just for another opinion. I don't know what the prognosis is for cats with lymphoma but 11 is not old.
My thoughts are with all of you..I have 5 cats, my oldest is trying to grab my pizza and she is 17!

I had an 11 year old kitty that died of cancer several years back. She was a very opinionated siamese and her name was Fussy. We opted for surgery, knowing the survival rate was small. The surgery went well, but complications set in 3 days later. It was very difficult to let her go. I hope you can find an alternative for your brother's kitty. Best wishes and good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter