• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cat Food HELP!! re: Hairballs

wendyl

<font color=green>Fonzie jumped the shark and danc
OK--I need the name a good Cat food for cats with sensitive stomachs and hairballs. I found the best food for her once that worked like a charm, and she ran out, I threw away the bag, and now for the life of me can't remember what it was called, or even where I bought it. HELP!!! We usually buy Purina's Cat Chow for Indoor Cats--but it doesn't help with the puking or hairballs (usually once every 10 days or so).

This food came in a mostly white bag, that was plain and almost looked like it could have been some sort of prescription food. It was particularly for Cats with sensitive stomachs and hairball control, and the food was shaped like little balls. I'm pretty sure I bought it at a regular Grocery Store.

Anyone know what I might be talking about--or have another suggestion for a good food that works for you??

Our kitties got lots of hairballs because they like to groom each other, so we've started giving them a hairball treatment in addition to their normal Purina Indoor cat food, and this has worked wonderfully. We found it at a standard pet supply store, and we've also seen it in the pet section of grocery stores and places like Target.

We first tried hairball controll treats, but our cats don't like kitty treats (they're just weird that way!). What has worked best is a gel that comes in a tube. Some cats will just lick it off of your fingers or out of the tube, but again, our girls are difficult. I put the required amount of the hairball control gel on their fur - either on a paw or on their head, and they will clean it off of themselves or each other.

This was what our vet recommended, and it's been perfect for our cats - they hardly ever have hairballs anymore!

I give mine nutro max hairball food and it works great with them, but I can't say that they have very sensitive stomachs.

Science Diet is in a white bag and they have a hair ball formula food. You can get it in Pet stores and Vet clinics.

Both my cats were eating Nutro Max Hairball Mgmt and now eat an indoor formula of Royal Canin and we honestly have never had any hairballs. Either they get them out in the litter box or the food really works.

My cat sheds a LOT. Science Diet works, but it's a LOT more expensive than others. I've found that Meow Mix Hairball Control does the same thing for my cat and he likes it much better.

My cat won't take the gel stuff from the tube. I've tried everything. If I put it on his paw, he runs and it gets all over the carpet and not in the cat!

Kimya

Rajah said:
I give mine nutro max hairball food and it works great with them, but I can't say that they have very sensitive stomachs.

Another vote for Nutro Max. Since my cats have been on the hairball maintance formula I haven't seen any hairballs. My cats have been on it for the past year.

My cats used to have hairballs all the time. Since I started them on Iams hairball/weight control formula dry food, I've not had a single hairball to clean up.

I now feed my cats Chicken Soup for the Cats/Kittens Soul dry and Nutro Natural Choice canned/pouches. Mine have never really had hairball issues though. Yes, the occasional hairball...but it is uncommon.

After researching cat food, I was amazed at the lack of quality ingredients (by-products and unnecessary fillers) in even well respected and expensive store brands.

Meow Mix Hairball Control for our long hair Persian Hemingway. Tried the gel when we first got him but found Meow Mix works great.

I've been giving my cat, Dave Eukanuba Sensitive Stomach dry food. It has helped tremendously over the past few months. It is made with lamb and rice so it is a little easier on the tummy.

I have a Siamese with both the hairball and sensitive stomach problem. I started using the Blue Spa brand cat food. It is all human grade ingredients. I get it at Petsmart. Dang cat is probably eating better than the family and no more problems!!!! If you want to check it out, the website is www.bluebuff.com .

wdwmom2 said:
I have a Siamese with both the hairball and sensitive stomach problem. I started using the Blue Spa brand cat food. It is all human grade ingredients. I get it at Petsmart. Dang cat is probably eating better than the family and no more problems!!!! If you want to check it out, the website is www.bluebuff.com .

I second this ,great stuff, but expensive.

skooniebird said:
Purina one has a great one for hairball control and ok for sensitive stomachs.

I use the Purina Healthy Weight/Hairball formula...no hairballs around here for a while now.

We use the science diet sensitive stomach. They do have one that is for hairball and sensitive stomach but my cats didn't like it. We give them friskies hairball control treats and that seems to help alot. If you have a few crumbs left in the container, take them to petsmart or petco and they can help you find what the food is. Good luck on finding there food though. I know how picky they can be. We have one that I think looks at her sister and says "Oh no, I am not getting that fat" and goes to find a discreet place to barf.

Angela

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter