Cat 6 vs Cat 9

jeniferg

Earning My Ears
We are currently going to book for a 3 day DCL cruise for next October. The last time we did DCL, my dh was a smoker so the Verandah rooms were a must for us. He no longer smokes (yay!) so I don't see the need for a Verandah room. The difference in cost between the Cat 6 & Cat 9 rooms for us is $380. I think I can find somewhere else to spend that money while on vacay...he thinks it's worth it. I don't think we'll spend $380 worth of time on the verandah. Has anyone stayed in both of these rooms that can tell me that spending that money is truly worth it? I think the last time we cruised DCL was in 98!! Thank you so much for your input!!

Jen G

For a 3 day cruise I would save the money and book the cat. 9. The cabins are the exact same size and configuration. How long do you plan on spending in your cabin on a 3 day cruise when you are in Nassau 1 day and Castaway Cay the next day and on the first day you can't get into your cabin until 1:30?

We are currently going to book for a 3 day DCL cruise for next October. The last time we did DCL, my dh was a smoker so the Verandah rooms were a must for us. He no longer smokes (yay!) so I don't see the need for a Verandah room. The difference in cost between the Cat 6 & Cat 9 rooms for us is $380. I think I can find somewhere else to spend that money while on vacay...he thinks it's worth it. I don't think we'll spend $380 worth of time on the verandah. Has anyone stayed in both of these rooms that can tell me that spending that money is truly worth it? I think the last time we cruised DCL was in 98!! Thank you so much for your input!!

We have cruised 4 times, twice in a Cat 9 and twice in a Cat 5/6. We always try to get a Cat 9 or lower, if we can, to save money. On a 3-nt cruise especially, you really don't spend much time in your room anyway. We are "wierd" but we like being on deck 2, closer to the water -- it's cool to see the ocean so close. If you want some time on a private verandah, the public "secret verandahs" on Deck 7 and 8 are almost always empty.

I don't know if this will mean anythihng to you or not - but on our 3rd cruise (Jan 2009), we booked a Cat 9 and got a free surprise upgrade to our Cat 6 room.... so there is precedent -- just because you book Cat 9, you might end up in a higher category room anyway, depending on how full the ship is, etc etc. I don't know how busy October cruises are.... but you might get lucky.

Go with the Cat 9 and save $400. Like my wife says -- she would sleep in a broom closet, just for the pleasure of being on the ship. In other words - is there really a "bad" room on a cruise ship?? ;)

I always book a cat 9 - my upcoming sailing is the first time I will be upgrading. BUT, it's a seven night cruise, and with the Florida resident discount is was only $400 to a cat 7 for the week. I would absolutely not pay that much for a three night upgrade where you don't even have a day at sea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter