Castaway Key ages 7 and 9

yaddakal

DIS Veteran
Hi there this will be our first time and I'm wondering if there's any excursions I should sign up for at castaway key?
I think we would like to have our kids try snorkeling for the first time ...do you have to sign up for that in advance?

Hi there this will be our first time and I'm wondering if there's any excursions I should sign up for at castaway key?
I think we would like to have our kids try snorkeling for the first time ...do you have to sign up for that in advance?

Our kids, 10 and 7 at the time of the cruise, got very cold snorkeling to the point they made all of us miserable lol! My 10yo enjoyed it but the cold got to her. My 7yo pretty much hated the snorkeling altogether. The bike riding was fun as a diversion. If your kids can handle water without wetsuits the snorkeling is actually pretty fun. You just have to swim a ways out to really see much.

You can, but don't have to. I recommend it! It is a great place to try snorkeling for the first time. You walk in vs. getting off a boat in the open water, and while you will see fish, you won't be surrounded with a ton which can be scary to first timers. This is where DS snorkeled for the first time. The next day at Nassau we took a catamaran out to a reef where they threw bread out to attract fish, and we were surrounded by tons of fish. We were glad this was the first time for DS. Back to Castaway Cay, the stingray adventure is great, and not very expensive. DS also loves the water slide as well as the kids club on the island - they do fun games he says!

My kids, at that age (and still now), really enjoy the bikes. The path is all concrete, and very level (no big hills or anything). There are water stations all along the way. It's a great way to see the whole island and get some unique photos. And--best part--it's very inexpensive (by Disney standards, anyway). I think it was like $6.00 an hour. But, everytime we get a bike, the CM tells us not to worry about watching the time, because they don't! So, even though it's technically an hour rental, you can keep them longer than that.

We also enjoyed the bikes. It was an easy ride and something different to do that didn't involve a beach.

Our favorite thing to do was renting a FunCat and puttering around the lagoon. They are battery operated push-button catamarans -- basically a lounge chair catamaran. It was $20 for a half hour for one and they hold two people. We ended up renting two rather than sharing one between the four of us. We were also told not to worry about the time thing and so we just took our time, keeping an eye on the beach. As long as there were funcats on the beach still and not a line, we stayed out there. I was SO glad I talked my son into doing this rather than the water trike that he wanted us to rent. It was $5 more than renting the water trike and I can't tell you how many comments of people we heard like "It looks like you made the better choice" while we were out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter