Castaway Cay - what to see and do

Castaway Cay is Disney's private island. How do you enjoy it? Excursions or just kick back and relax. What is your recipe for a perfect day here.

***** WORKING ON UPDATING 3/6/09 *****

Bottom Fishing - **

We always did the bike ride through CC. It was a lot of fun but obviously not a good idea if traveling with little ones (they might have the bikes that have the baby seats on the back but I don't know). If you want to relax on the beach, definitely go there early especially if your destination is the family beach! Also, Cookies BBQ is AMAZING:-*

For the treasure hunt, you can pick up a pirate map of the island before you leave the ship in the morning. there is a place and time noted on your navigator to do so. then... you go on a hunt. i did not know what to expect from it, so i was surpirised at how much fun we had! It doesn't take that long - about an hour or less - although, some others who were also doing it try to throw us off the trail... gave it a sort of a 'keep to the code' aura that made it piratical... is that a word?

I want to do the parasailing at CC, but I have some questions:

1. What all is covered in the 45-minute safety lecture?

2. How does the parasailing "process" work?

3. If they cancel due to weather, could I do it later in the day if conditions allow (I plan to book the first open time in the morning)? If not, how would I be refunded if necessary?

TIA for your help!!!

I want to do the parasailing at CC, but I have some questions:

1. What all is covered in the 45-minute safety lecture?

2. How does the parasailing "process" work?

3. If they cancel due to weather, could I do it later in the day if conditions allow (I plan to book the first open time in the morning)? If not, how would I be refunded if necessary?

TIA for your help!!!

That would be about a 15 minute talk before getting on the boat...basically explaining the process. There are about 8 people in the boat (varies) and each gets about a 5-7minute ride. You step into a harness on the back of the boat and after you are strapped in you sit down and they reel you out! It is smooth as silk. When they reel you in, you arrive in a standing position, take one step forward and they unhook you from the harness. It's all painless and easy! :thumbsup2 Trust me,if this wobbly 50+ fat lady can do it, anyone can! :lmao:

It is so quiet and peacefull up there. Also I would have paid the price just for the speedboat ride.

Has anyone been on glass bottom boat excursion and how did your teenagers
enjoy the wild side excursion? I trying to decide if we should ride bikes, snorkel, and go on the glass bottom boat as a family since we are only on
Castaway Cay for such a short time. Any advice would be helpful.

That would be about a 15 minute talk before getting on the boat...basically explaining the process. There are about 8 people in the boat (varies) and each gets about a 5-7minute ride. You step into a harness on the back of the boat and after you are strapped in you sit down and they reel you out! It is smooth as silk. When they reel you in, you arrive in a standing position, take one step forward and they unhook you from the harness. It's all painless and easy! :thumbsup2 Trust me,if this wobbly 50+ fat lady can do it, anyone can! :lmao:

It is so quiet and peacefull up there. Also I would have paid the price just for the speedboat ride.

I am so glad to read this information! I am booked to ride tandem with my 14 year old dd in August and before I saw this I was petrified. Would you also have any advice on what to wear - particularly on your feet. I am hoping that shorts and a TShirt are OK and that sunglasses and flip flops won't come flying off. Thanks.

I am so glad to read this information! I am booked to ride tandem with my 14 year old dd in August and before I saw this I was petrified. Would you also have any advice on what to wear - particularly on your feet. I am hoping that shorts and a TShirt are OK and that sunglasses and flip flops won't come flying off. Thanks.

If you are wearing flip flops, just take them off and go up barefoot...otherwise I'd recommend water/pool shoes. NOT YOUR GOOD SNEAKERS! I wore shorts and a t-shirt. :thumbsup2 Some folks wore swimsuits with a pair of shorts over them. And put your sunglasses on a strap. I wore an old pair of perscription ones that I had brought will me just in case there were any mishaps on my assorted adventures.

I was wondering how the Float/Tube rental works. Is it one Pickup and return or can you pickup and return multiple times?

Thanks

If you are wearing flip flops, just take them off and go up barefoot...otherwise I'd recommend water/pool shoes. NOT YOUR GOOD SNEAKERS! I wore shorts and a t-shirt. :thumbsup2 Some folks wore swimsuits with a pair of shorts over them. And put your sunglasses on a strap. I wore an old pair of perscription ones that I had brought will me just in case there were any mishaps on my assorted adventures.

Thanks so much. All of your great information has gotten rid of my fear so that I can just relax and look forward to an amazing new experience. Much appreciated! :flower3::wizard:

When we did this excursion on July 4, they made everyone take off their shoes and leave them on the dock. I had board shorts and a t-shirt on over my swimsuit since we had been in the water prior to that.

When we did this excursion on July 4, they made everyone take off their shoes and leave them on the dock. I had board shorts and a t-shirt on over my swimsuit since we had been in the water prior to that.

That's why I was barefoot! :lmao::lmao: Forgot that part!

Thanks! :thumbsup2

For the treasure hunt, you can pick up a pirate map of the island before you leave the ship in the morning. there is a place and time noted on your navigator to do so. then... you go on a hunt. i did not know what to expect from it, so i was surpirised at how much fun we had! It doesn't take that long - about an hour or less - although, some others who were also doing it try to throw us off the trail... gave it a sort of a 'keep to the code' aura that made it piratical... is that a word?

What age is this appropriate for? My boys love priates and frequesntly go on treasure hunts in the yard. They are 6 and 7. Is this for them to? Is it done on foot?

We always did the bike ride through CC. It was a lot of fun but obviously not a good idea if traveling with little ones (they might have the bikes that have the baby seats on the back but I don't know). If you want to relax on the beach, definitely go there early especially if your destination is the family beach! Also, Cookies BBQ is AMAZING:-*

They do have small bikes as well as bike seats for toddlers and helmets for everyone available.

We left DS in the kids club for lunch while we biked over to the Adult beach. The BBQ was much less hectic crowded, no line ups at all. Came back and got DS about 90min later and he never even noticed we were gone.

Does anyone know where I could find a copy of a menu with all of the yummy drink options, like Konk Koolers, that are offered at Castaway Cay. I could sure use something like that to help with the daydreaming this week. Thanks!

Parasailing on Castaway Cay has been our favorite. Take a waterproof camera up with you to capture the most amazing images of the island that are second to none. We've always flown tandem. The guides are full of information too. Riding in the boat gives you a great amount of information that you probably wouldn't hear about the Abacos area otherwise.

We also enjoy the quiet time at Serenity Bay.

I really want to do parasailing while at castaway cay. We have 2 kids but I want to do it with my wife. First of all - can we do that? Secondly - what is the best option to do with the kids? Is there a place where we could leave them?

Also - what is the age restrictions to go parasailing....

Would appreciate your input. Thanks...

Tell me more about snorkeling. This is something we have never done, or know anything about (think snorkeling for dummies):rotfl: Is this something for younger kids? We have 2 DS, ages 7 and 12.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter