Castaway Cay & Ship Docking

Finally, we can't always control our emotions, but we can controll our wills. So it is perfectly understandable, and not some sort of psychological abberation, to be disappointed at missing what might've been a highlight of the cruise. But then, one can choose to author their own lives, determining that in the midst of disappointment they can still have a good time. It then becomes a matter of the mind and heart. Don't let Disney, or anyone/anything else, dictate your joy.

We were all allowed to do something most people only dream about. We were able to go on a cruise, and a Disney one, to boot. :yay:

Well said! And I agree and it was the point I was trying to make earlier, but you did it much better than I did. Life sometimes hands you lemons. You can make lemonade or blame someone else for the lemons. Your choice.

but their marketing isn't all directed to CC. It has everything on it. In everything I have watched, read, seen, etc they have never DEVOTED the marketing to CC.

ETA: and just how would they go about doing the following for you?

"if they appeared to appreciate our disappointment"?

I never said their marketing was ALL directed to CC, come on folks.

For me, they could all wear t-shirts that had a :( on it, does that answer your question?

After 15-16? cruises --We have not docked at CC 2 times and the bulk of our cruises were during hurricane season.
I think that ratio speaks unto itself.
If they shortened the cruise by a day I would understand.
We were put off the Magic on a Friday night with oncomming Hurricane Jean in 04 and received componsation that was more than generous of DCL.
I have read on other cruise boards that Carnaval/and other lines is not so generous with more extreme issues
Scott

One solution might be not to advertise CC at all, then when the ship docked, roll out a big ol' "SURPRISE!!!" banner.

But then you'd run the risk of disappointing the folks who wanted a day at sea, so maybe that's not a good solution after all.

This, by the way, is a joke. :rolleyes:

I don't know, I was on the ship the OP is referring to and I guess it really comes down to perspective. Everyone will have an experience that varies and based on expectations and perspective of cash outlay each person's milage will vary. If you booked a Disney Cruise solely for hte purposeof CC and then were unable to dock, than I'm guessing the disappointment factor would be huge. If you booked a cruise of a lifetime and spent the majority of it not adjusting well to the sea than your disappointment level would be high. If you had all other things align well, were healthy and you miss out on a port (if you cosider CC to just be another port) then maybe your disappointment would be lessened? To think that you should be compensated for it is a whole different issue.
I was disappointed, my kids were disappointed that we couldn't dock at CC--not in the whole cruise experience. We did a ton of things that wouldn't have been possible without being on the cruise itself and overall we were very happy. Losing the whole morning to we're docking, no we're not, now we are, no we aren't was very frustrating. Honestly I don't think not being able to dock two days in a row is very normal for the crew, so getting one day off and rolling was difficult for them doing it twice was more than likely VERY difficult. In fairness we lost an opportunity to get off the ship--not a small thing to those who were not adjusting well to being on the ocean. We lost time off the ship to enjoy activities many of us have never done before, but we still had all the things that would have happened on the ship itself. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what they could have given us other than what they did that would have made anyone happier? I don't think any answer is one size fits all as it would be dependent upon individual experiences. I may be one of the few here, but I felt for the most part I got waht they offered and the ship and all aboard were safe. The dock at CC and the one at PC are very different. Should Disney work on this possibly, but am I entitled to anything else as far as compensation--no.

I was on that same cruise....yes I was sad about Castaway Cay BUT I have a video of that first day we were going to go to Castaway Cay and nobody could watch it and think we were safe to dock that day. Waves were crashing into the dock, and the vendors from other islands couldn't even get in. (so the captain explained) My life is worth more than my $50.00 worth of excursions I had booked for that day.(that was refunded) This was my first time too, so I understand being disappointed but really the island isn't going anywhere and I expect to see it again on my next cruise. The people on the ship handled it really well I thought. No ranting or raving that I saw, just sad faces as we went out for our second sea day. I still had a really great time on the cruise, and no hard feeling about the Cay.

As far as compensation, your cruise contract simply states that they do not guarantee any ports of call. They can be deleted all together or changed as they feel are necessary for the safety of the ship, the dock, and the passengers and crew onboard and on land. That is pretty basic from any cruise line. Ports of call are missed all the time with other cruise lines. Actual percentages, I have no clue; but I'm am sure that no cruise wants to miss a port. CC is unique in that Disney owns the port, so there is no outside government or authorities telling them docking has been suspended. Many cruisers report how the captain tries and tries to dock, but is unable. Again, remember the part about safety? I'm sure Disney is on top of the stats for missed cruises to CC and they will continue to assess the situation they move into the next phase of cruising with their new ships.

Magical Cruise Company a.k.a. DCL also states they can substitute "like" vessels not necessarily the Magic and/or Wonder.
How about a old Carnival ship--now that would be a surprise!!

Scott

I was on that same cruise....yes I was sad about Castaway Cay BUT I have a video of that first day we were going to go to Castaway Cay and nobody could watch it and think we were safe to dock that day. Waves were crashing into the dock, and the vendors from other islands couldn't even get in. (so the captain explained) My life is worth more than my $50.00 worth of excursions I had booked for that day.(that was refunded) This was my first time too, so I understand being disappointed but really the island isn't going anywhere and I expect to see it again on my next cruise. The people on the ship handled it really well I thought. No ranting or raving that I saw, just sad faces as we went out for our second sea day. I still had a really great time on the cruise, and no hard feeling about the Cay.

I agree completely, I have a video of the second day which was supposedly better than the first, and I mentioned several times that I wouldn't be able to dock in such a small port with those strong crosswinds. I never eluded to risking safety over customer satisfaction, it's obviously the first priority. I'm sure Disney has done the math to determine that any additional cost to increase percent of CC docking was not worth it.

I greatly enjoyed the cruise as well and look forward to the next one.

I think the main issue was wasted time on board waiting in limbo to see if docking would happen. If there were some contengincy activities planned for this time (just in case) maybe people would not feel like they were loosing time on their vacation.
CC is not guranteed and all cruisers should realize that safety at sea comes first.
With additional activities ongoing crusiers should take advantage of their time on board and accept the fact they could not go safely to CC.
No flames please just my opinion. We cruise on Sunday. If we miss CC yes my DS 21 and DGS 6 will be disappointed as this is their first cruise. Will it ruin our vacation? NO.

I was on a DCL cruise when we missed the Cayman Islands (couldn't tender due to waves); couldn't get into Key West (due to waves/weather). ended up going to Costa Maya (not on the itinerary), Cozumel was cold and rainy all day, people sick all over the ship and sleeping on the 3rd floor atrium for stability during rolling seas; but on CC Cay day - lo and behold mother nature cooperated and we had a marvelous end to our cruise! Was I disappointed in not getting to some of the ports - of course - such is the nature of cruising. No Captain tries harder than a DCL Captain to dock the ship at CC Cay - believe me!. I might also add that the pier THEY have is heads above the tenders on NCL and Carnival and I am sure other cruise lines. Also remember, the sand constantly is washing into the shore from the ocean. Disney has dredged after some hurricane activity in the past, but I find it hard to swallow that a deeper port will allow better docking and that in and of itself would make a satisfactory cruise experience. Personally, the following is MY priority for sailing on DCL (1) the size of the staterooms (3) The condition of the ships (4) Castaway Cay (5) Disney Service (6) Disney Shows(7) Disney Experience

I was on a DCL cruise when we missed the Cayman Islands (couldn't tender due to waves); couldn't get into Key West (due to waves/weather). ended up going to Costa Maya (not on the itinerary), Cozumel was cold and rainy all day, people sick all over the ship and sleeping on the 3rd floor atrium for stability during rolling seas; but on CC Cay day - lo and behold mother nature cooperated and we had a marvelous end to our cruise!

Which cruise was this? I think it was the same one we were one. I am glad you still had a great time on your cruise. It's hard not to on DCL :)

PP's:
It's definitely disappointing when you miss CC. Fortunately, we have been able to dock every time i have cruised, but i can understand the frustration. I guess you just have to go with the mindset that you may or may not get in to any of the ports and decide to have a good time no matter what happens. Just think of the alternative, you could be working or at home doing your own dishes, laundry, and cleaning. Another poster said it perfectly, you are doing something that many people only dream of. And that in and of itself is something to rejoice in!

Remember what the Wise Man said, and it certainly applies here:

"When all else fails, eat."

Wait a minute ... I think I said that. My bad. :angel:

What happens when they miss CC? Do they just slowly make thier way back to PC or do they kindof just sit idle out in the ocean for the day?

I am going to chime in on this one. If you have been on the boards you know that I could care less if the ship can dock, or even for that matter, is on the intenerary. To be it is a beach and I live a mile from the beach. That being said if on our upcoming cruise if we miss CC I will not care at all, but if we miss the Panama Canal, that is another story. I have been on a cruise and missed the Canal the year we invaded Panama. We invaded and we were to go through the canal the next day.

Trekygirl26 - This was in March a couple of years ago. Saved to bring whole family - daughter, son, daughter in law, grandchildren, hubby and myself for the Western Caribbean cruise - scheduled cruise for March (no hurricanes right?) and along come a week of crappy weather. We all made the best of it even those who were sick. Nothing you can do about the weather (nor can Disney).
As far as docking at CC, I am sure DCL has spent MILLIONS for marine engineers to design the pier in a safe manner and I for one am not second guessing those experts! You bet CC is a big draw - all the more reason they move heaven and earth to get in there. By the way, went on a 3 day last year (DH and self) - it rained on CC day. Couldn't find the switch to turn off the water no matter how hard I looked! Oh well - ate lunch at Serenity Bay went to ship early and saved money by not shopping!!!! Still had a good time

What happens when they miss CC? Do they just slowly make thier way back to PC or do they kindof just sit idle out in the ocean for the day?

On our cruise they slowly made their way back to PC as their last attempt occurred on our last full day.

OK, I know this can go down very badly but I feel it's an important issue.

While reading the latest trip reports and the endless failed attempts to doc at Castaway Cay on both Magic and Wonder, I did some research. The unsuccessful attempts seem to have increased over the past two years.

Most people talk about compensation. Some talk about wind Vs safety. Very, very few talk about the slip they have to doc in. You don't have to be a navy seal or an engineer to know about slips / docs and dredging. I live in an area full of ships. The same area's, slips, etc have to be dredge almost every other year. Everything they move or take out shifts and eventually you are back to square one. It seems so obvious that this is the larger issue with missed CC days. (Maybe not always, but more often then not)

So below is what I posted on the trip report page for the April 13th - 17th 4 night Wonder. I'm not looking for a debate. After reading it, if anyone thinks this could be a valid issue / complaint. Please contact DCL and let your feelings on the subject be known. We pay much, much, more then we would on say RCCL and part of the reason is CC. I personally believe they are dragging there heels on dredging. Most likely due to cost. But the consumer should make there feelings known. Is this a petition or campaign? I don't know? Maybe. I just think we need to get past disappointment and compensation and question and comment on this very real possible main issue / problem.

I am composing a letter today to send DCL on this subject. You want something changed. You want what you paid for. You speak your mind to the powers that be. I was raised to fight for my rights as a consumer. So I'm going to get the ball rolling for everyone and question / comment on this aspect of the issue / on going problem. I hope others will do the same. The evidence is there and I believe it's a valid take on the problem to comment on.

Below is also what I wrote on the trip report thread.>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's becoming more clear everyday that the problem is the location of the doc. Not the wind. Some thought it was the engines on the Magic. Now it happens repeatedly on the Wonder as well. It's a major undertaking to dredge under the water and make the slip larger and wider. It also costs a great deal of money. Disney needs to do this ASAP or take CC out of there advertising and itineraries. You can bet your *** they manage to always pull in a doc at Port Canaveral (Wind or no Wind) So they can get the next load of money, Oh sorry, "people" on board.

I encourage everyone including those who have not been effected by this to contact DCL and let them know that we all know it's about the slip, doc, and dredging. And that they need to cough up the bucks and do something about it.

You are a brave, brave poster! As someone who had an opinion about this very subject after the Mar. 1 cruise which encountered the same issue - I was apparently quite foolish and wrote it down. The next day my inbox was filled with flaming pms about some of the unresolved issues on the cruise -- by people who weren't even on it.

I hope you receive more respect for your opinions. Questions are good. Blind acceptance = stagnation.

I have not seen one point addressed, concerning always being able to dock at PC, presumably on time in order to herd the next group onboard. Technically, this isn't true either. There have been a few times when the ship has been diverted to a different port due to hurricanes or other weather. DCL tried to make things the best they could for guest both getting off the ship and boarding. They provided bus transportation for I believe the two hour drive to the revised location. So technically, there probably isn't a port on DCL's regular itinerary that the ships haven't missed at some point in time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter