Castaway Cay Private Cabanas

Our group of eight (7 adults, 1 child), just booked Cabana #8. Anyone ever been in this one -- thoughts?

TIA!!

As more of the DISboard members cruise, we would love to clarify more the booking process for the private cabanas on CC for non-concierge cruisers :) At first it was all handled through the concierge staff, then it was opened as a wait list at guest services. Most recently the waitlist sign up has been available at both the shore excursion desk as well as the guest services desk. DCL has said they are finding the smoothest procedure. As more of you all cruise, please post where you were able to book your cabana :)

Thanks!!popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::

As more of the DISboard members cruise, we would love to clarify more the booking process for the private cabanas on CC for non-concierge cruisers :) At first it was all handled through the concierge staff, then it was opened as a wait list at guest services. Most recently the waitlist sign up has been available at both the shore excursion desk as well as the guest services desk. DCL has said they are finding the smoothest procedure. As more of you all cruise, please post where you were able to book your cabana :)

Thanks!!popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::

I am merging this with the other thread on the CC cabanas as some others have been posting their experiences as they come back.

MJ

Hi, first time posting to a forum. I have been diligently reading all 39 pages of posts and thanks for the load of information. My extended family are going to cruise on the Dream in October (if everyone can finally pick a date!) and I was excited about the cabanas in the cruise planning DVD - however, very disappointed to learn here that they only made 1 handicap accessible, seems like an odd ratio, 1 in 20. My MIL uses a wheelchair and oxygen and with the extended family being a Polish/Irish mix needless to say they need some shade! We are not booking the concierge level so I guess at the moment we are stuck racing to the Guest Services/Shore Excursion/whatever-new-place-they-come-up-with-between-now-and-October desk when we board. Since I'd rather not see my FIL wheelchair racing with my MIL to the desk, I am the most likely candidate for the job - so the question is, in your expert opinions, would there be any trouble for me to book the handicap cabana if I reference their stateroom?

Also, seems a bummer that the cabins get rented out in number order; since we are a large group I would rent 2 and wanted them to be next to each other. I find it hard to imagine I would be able to get #2 on embarkation day. :(

Also in your expert opinions for those who were at the cabana's, how high were the stairs? The pictures may be deceptive but it looked like we might be able to "bump" her up the stairs since she's just in a manual chair. It only looked like there were maybe 2 from the beach side which seems manageable. But I'm sure I'm over looking something :)

TIA and I can't wait to hit the Bahamas!

i hate to rain on your parade but here is our situation: we have a cabana rented (2 actually for our large group of 12)We have one with a broken ankle, broken fingers and hand, 10 ribs and a vertebrae. We don't have the luck to have a handicapped room (none left available) but were lucky enuf to get concierge rooms. This one is in a wheel chair and most of our cruise will be spending on board because of lack of mobilities issues. i had requested close to Cookies Too to make transporting easier but those were already gone. i think we have 6 & 7. Apparently the cabanas a very much in demand despite the high price, so they are difficult to get. good luck! i guess just head for guest services as soon as you get onboard and ask.

Hi, first time posting to a forum. I have been diligently reading all 39 pages of posts and thanks for the load of information. My extended family are going to cruise on the Dream in October (if everyone can finally pick a date!) and I was excited about the cabanas in the cruise planning DVD - however, very disappointed to learn here that they only made 1 handicap accessible, seems like an odd ratio, 1 in 20. My MIL uses a wheelchair and oxygen and with the extended family being a Polish/Irish mix needless to say they need some shade! We are not booking the concierge level so I guess at the moment we are stuck racing to the Guest Services/Shore Excursion/whatever-new-place-they-come-up-with-between-now-and-October desk when we board. Since I'd rather not see my FIL wheelchair racing with my MIL to the desk, I am the most likely candidate for the job - so the question is, in your expert opinions, would there be any trouble for me to book the handicap cabana if I reference their stateroom?

Also, seems a bummer that the cabins get rented out in number order; since we are a large group I would rent 2 and wanted them to be next to each other. I find it hard to imagine I would be able to get #2 on embarkation day. :(

Also in your expert opinions for those who were at the cabana's, how high were the stairs? The pictures may be deceptive but it looked like we might be able to "bump" her up the stairs since she's just in a manual chair. It only looked like there were maybe 2 from the beach side which seems manageable. But I'm sure I'm over looking something :)

TIA and I can't wait to hit the Bahamas!

When we rented in November, we were able to pick our cabin number (we were concierge) and I chose 4 because it was close to the restrooms but not too close. As for bumping her up, it might be possible but the doorways may be narrower than necessary. I would call DCL to ask your questions. Good luck!

First off, Welcome!

We were in very much the same situation in wanting the HC cabana. My MIL is in a wheelchair and the HC would be much easier for her. We probably would have been happy with a regular one but were thrilled with the HC.

We also wanted it to be a surprise for her, so when we boarded I went to GS and Port Excursions alone as everyone else went to get lunch. When I gave them my name and room number, I requested the HC cabana.
Our reservations were linked together in their system and my in-laws had a HC room. I assume this is how they justified that we deserved the HC cabana. No one ever asked who the 6 people were going to be using the cabana, but when we showed up my in-laws names wer included along with the 4 of us.

When we found out we gotten the cabana, we were not told which one or if it was HC accessible. The people that delivered the little packet did not know. We went to GS and they did confirm that it was cabana 1 (the HC accessible one).
A little bit of running around and concern if we'd get it, but in the end it turned out great for all of us!

Sorry, I'm no help on the possibility of getting 2 cabanas close together. You probably need extra pixie dust for that one!

I'm confused. We're on the Dream departing April 28 and there is no option to book the Cabana online... you book them on-board? I see where some folks, it looks like, have booked them in advance. How?

Thanks!

Our reservations were linked together in their system and my in-laws had a HC room. I assume this is how they justified that we deserved the HC cabana. No one ever asked who the 6 people were going to be using the cabana, but when we showed up my in-laws names wer included along with the 4 of us.

That's very good to hear. Our rooms should be linked too as we are most likely booking both staterooms on one reservation. Possibly 3 staterooms if we decide to be crazy and cram 10 people (5 adults, 3 teens, and 2 kids) into 2 family staterooms so we can all be on the same level as the HC room, in the possibly futile hope that we can get 3 adjoining rooms and share the verandah. (the savings would pay for the 2 cabana's but at what cost? i wonder if the family rooms are as large as they seem) Maybe I'll pose thought that on another thread.

Sounds like getting 2 together with the HC one is near impossible so maybe we'll settle for one -if we're lucky- and punt the teens off to their own beach/pavilion. :) I'm sure they won't want to hang out with the fuddy-duddies anyway.

Thanks for everyone's answers so far.

I'm confused. We're on the Dream departing April 28 and there is no option to book the Cabana online... you book them on-board? I see where some folks, it looks like, have booked them in advance. How?

Thanks!

Concierge level guests have the ability to book them ahead.

Oh one more question, if anyone has specifics about what's included in the rental that would be helpful. It would seem that DCL is maybe changing what's included since the initial offering since some say Bikes are included and other not. If anyone's been on recently and has the for-sure list, that would be awesome :)

Oh one more question, if anyone has specifics about what's included in the rental that would be helpful. It would seem that DCL is maybe changing what's included since the initial offering since some say Bikes are included and other not. If anyone's been on recently and has the for-sure list, that would be awesome :)

I was there in November and here is what we got:

(Keep in mind we were on Serenity Bay)
Sunscreen
Towels
Cabana
Loungers (comfy)
Stocked fridge (coke, diet, sprite, bottled water, a rum punch - both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, cold towels)
Fruit basket
Snack basket
Safe
Inner tubes & rafts
Shower
Bicycles (if desired)
cot (think that is what this is called)
personal concierge service

Things we asked for from our concierge:
bucket of ice
konk koolers
transport on golf cart to lunch/restroom/etc...
more snacks
cups

**everything (food-wise) was refillable except the fruit.

On Serenity Bay you do not have a "private" beach area but the entire beach is private so it didn't matter to us.

I know this list may sound like some of it is expected but I wanted to make sure I got it all out there! Maybe someone else who has went even more recent has better info?

I was there in November and here is what we got:

(Keep in mind we were on Serenity Bay)
Sunscreen
Towels
Cabana
Loungers (comfy)
Stocked fridge (coke, diet, sprite, bottled water, a rum punch - both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, cold towels)
Fruit basket
Snack basket
Safe
Inner tubes & rafts
Shower
Bicycles (if desired)
cot (think that is what this is called)
personal concierge service

Things we asked for from our concierge:
bucket of ice
konk koolers
transport on golf cart to lunch/restroom/etc...
more snacks
cups

**everything (food-wise) was refillable except the fruit.

On Serenity Bay you do not have a "private" beach area but the entire beach is private so it didn't matter to us.

I know this list may sound like some of it is expected but I wanted to make sure I got it all out there! Maybe someone else who has went even more recent has better info?

Great thank you! Were you offered snorkling gear? Also I have heard that the buffet at the adult beach often has steak or other offerings that the other doesn't. Did you happen to notice this?

last year the buffet at SB did have grilled rib steaks. they weren't thick but very very tasty! also had grilled fish (?salmon) salads were same as at Cookie's.

Great thank you! Were you offered snorkling gear? Also I have heard that the buffet at the adult beach often has steak or other offerings that the other doesn't. Did you happen to notice this?

OH... yes! Snorkeling gear was offered to us.

As far as the food... I haven't been to the buffet on the family beach so I can't compare but there was ribs, steak, burgers, hot dogs, chicken, chips, cookies, cakes, ice cream, and soft drinks.

last year the buffet at SB did have grilled rib steaks. they weren't thick but very very tasty! also had grilled fish (?salmon) salads were same as at Cookie's.

OH... yes! Snorkeling gear was offered to us.

As far as the food... I haven't been to the buffet on the family beach so I can't compare but there was ribs, steak, burgers, hot dogs, chicken, chips, cookies, cakes, ice cream, and soft drinks.

Thank you. I think I will just check then because I would like some fish or steak. Our youngest will be 16 and can surely fend for himself that long. hahahaha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter