Castaway Cay or CocoCay?

ChicagoMom

Mouseketeer
How do the private islands compare? I'm looking at an Eastern Caribbean itinerary for next fall (DCL Fantasy or RCCL Freedom). I'm worried about the tenders at Cococay for an October sailing because I've heard that it's often missed because of high wind. Is Castaway Cay a tender port?

Is the water temperature about the same?

What about the kids clubs? Comparable?

TIA!

DCL ships dock at Castaway Cay.

I'd imagine the temperatures and sea conditions are very similar between the two islands.

My RCI ship couldn't tender in Coco Cay in Dec. 2008 due to high winds.

Although DCL ships dock at Castaway Cay, there have been times when they were unable to do so.

Yes, castaway cay has a dock and coco cay is a tender. We just went to coco cay the week of October 19th this year and had no trouble tendering.

The kids clubs are similar on both islands. The one advantage to coco cay in my opinion was the island is a little smaller and u can easily walk everywhere. I felt on castaway cay that I spent a lot of my time just getting from one place to another.

I absolutely had a blast on Cococay although I felt everything was a bit pricey but I imagine its the same on the other island (never been there)

How do the private islands compare? I'm looking at an Eastern Caribbean itinerary for next fall (DCL Fantasy or RCCL Freedom). I'm worried about the tenders at Cococay for an October sailing because I've heard that it's often missed because of high wind. Is Castaway Cay a tender port?

Is the water temperature about the same?

What about the kids clubs? Comparable?

TIA!

Weather is similar between the two islands.

Castaway Cay is far more polished than Coco Cay. More permanent structures and better infrastructure. That being said, I enjoyed both islands. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Kids club facilities are better on Castaway, but RCCL does have an excellent kids club program. My kids enjoyed the clubs on both lines.

If conditions aren't right, you could miss either island, DCL ships dock at Castaway, RCCL ships tender to Coco.

with regards to weather similarity

Coco Cay is actually Little Stirrup Cay of the Bahamas and 135 miles due east of Miami. It lies on the south east side of the 'Northwest Providence Channel' thru the northern Bahamas and is part of the Berry Islands.

Castaway Cay aka Gorda Cay of the Bahamas, lies on the northeast end of the NWP channel, 29 miles to the northeast of Coco Cay, making it about as far north as Fort Lauderdale, 160 miles away. Temperatures of both water and air are going to be almost identical

NWP Channel is deep water .... while the water to the other side of each island is 'shallow'. There is no high ground around to provide much wind protection. Cocoa Cay tender channel faces north and the Castaway pier south-southwest .... and bad wind at one has a pretty good chance of impacting the other . . . Disney has very little spare room at the pier and SOMETIMES can't safety get to the pier in a cross wind ... RCCL has issues with bouncing tenders for the ship holding position north of the island.

from perspectives of weather and sea conditions I rate them equal . .

with regards to weather similarity

Coco Cay is actually Little Stirrup Cay of the Bahamas and 135 miles due east of Miami. It lies on the south east side of the 'Northwest Providence Channel' thru the northern Bahamas and is part of the Berry Islands.

Castaway Cay aka Gorda Cay of the Bahamas, lies on the northeast end of the NWP channel, 29 miles to the northeast of Coco Cay, making it about as far north as Fort Lauderdale, 160 miles away. Temperatures of both water and air are going to be almost identical

NWP Channel is deep water .... while the water to the other side of each island is 'shallow'. There is no high ground around to provide much wind protection. Cocoa Cay tender channel faces north and the Castaway pier south-southwest .... and bad wind at one has a pretty good chance of impacting the other . . . Disney has very little spare room at the pier and SOMETIMES can't safety get to the pier in a cross wind ... RCCL has issues with bouncing tenders for the ship holding position north of the island.

from perspectives of weather and sea conditions I rate them equal . .

Thanks BJ, sounds like a very educated opinion. :cheer2: I'm looking at making my first non DCL cruise and wondered about Cocoa Cay

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter