• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway Cay Open?

I was on the 8/25 cruise, went to Atlantis on Saturday. There was significant plant damage there, a lot of trees sheared and down. The guide there had family on outer islands, and said her family home was destroyed. Nassua was not a good gauge of the level of damage, as it was by far the most prepared of the Bahamian islands. Don't know any specific knowledge about Castaway Cay, but wouldn't be too surprised if it is closed for a week or so.

I think it's probably because the seas are still so rough from the storm. Too much bobbing and wobbling and people getting sick. But that is just my uneducated guess:confused3

Me thinks the day in Nassau rather than at sea has to do with the extra fuel ($$$) that is expended at sea, plus less hassle for the crew. Also might give some the opportunity for guests to go somewhere on Nassau (not that there is that much to do there), but Disney may need to keep the Bahama's government happy with the Nassau docking as CC is in the Bahamas. Hmmm.

The way I see it if u are at CC or Nassau or at sea it has to be better then being at work.:banana:..... You are on vacation so anywhere is better then work..... Have a great day eh!!!!!!

Optimistic CC news- spoke with a DCL CM earlier. when I asked him about the current state of CC he informed me that crews have been working round the clock, and the current cruise will potentially be stopping at CC, and they have hopes that starting with the next cruise that there will be no more itinerary changes.

This is exactly how I'm feeling. I'm at Disney, I'm on the Dream, I'm not at work!!!! ENJOY IT. Yes I hope we can dock this weekend at CC but if not, I'll survive.

Optimistic CC news- spoke with a DCL CM earlier. when I asked him about the current state of CC he informed me that crews have been working round the clock, and the current cruise will potentially be stopping at CC, and they have hopes that starting with the next cruise that there will be no more itinerary changes.

Sounds great! Crossing my fingers that all cruises coming up (I'm cruising on 9/11) will stop at CC!

Even though a bad day on vacation is better than a good day at work ...

Funny, my Dad has a similar saying. "Even the worst day at the ballpark is better than the best day at the office." He shared that gem with me one night when the Seattle Mariners were getting beat 12-1.

My FW and I will surely be bummed if we can't make it to Castaway Cay, but we'll be married and I'm sure it's nothing a trip to the buffet or spa couldn't cure. :woohoo:

Anyone know how Blue Lagoon is doing? Have they resumed services for their excursions, like the Dolphin Swim?

Great to hear they might have such quick turnaround at CC -- that would be some seriously brilliant pixie dust indeed!

Is there ever the option of having the CC dock redesigned or repositioned on the island to allow for more successful dockings in general? (Of course I have no idea how such things might work, LOL).

Yes, a vacation is a much better than being in an office any day! But Disney Cruises are extremely expensive and when you loose the chance to dock at their private island -- which is heavily advertised and one of the main booking points for lots of folks -- it is indeed heart breaking to miss out due to high waves and/or winds.

In any case -- let's hope CC reopens soon! :cheer2:

The way I see it if u are at CC or Nassau or at sea it has to be better then being at work.:banana:..... You are on vacation so anywhere is better then work..... Have a great day eh!!!!!!

So True. I'd be bummed about missing CC but, Hey, still on vacation.

This is what I've heard as well. I'm thinking that CC will be open soon. Worried that the foliage will not be very pretty. That'll be sad. Especially since I had planned on exploring the island for the first time.

I was married there in Nov. 2008 and we too were told if the wedding had to be moved to the ship we would be refunded the additional $1000!

The $1000 extra is no longer refunded, its in our contract that we will NOT receive the money back if we don't make it there.

I'm hopeful everything will work out for our 9/17 Castaway Cay wedding. I think I'll be okay with the location change, but I'm not sure my fiance would be happy. He's not a "Disney" person (yet ~ 1st trip to the parks for him is our wedding/disneymoon trip); and he is going to be highly disappointed and frustrated about the $1000 gamble. So while yes, its still vacation, and we will be happy no matter what as it is our wedding. We do have a lot riding on this.

The $1000 extra is no longer refunded, its in our contract that we will NOT receive the money back if we don't make it there.

I'm hopeful everything will work out for our 9/17 Castaway Cay wedding. I think I'll be okay with the location change, but I'm not sure my fiance would be happy. He's not a "Disney" person (yet ~ 1st trip to the parks for him is our wedding/disneymoon trip); and he is going to be highly disappointed and frustrated about the $1000 gamble. So while yes, its still vacation, and we will be happy no matter what as it is our wedding. We do have a lot riding on this.

We are on your sailing. Wishing you a WONDERFUL wedding and much happiness. I will think positive thoughts and send good wishes for an open Castaway Cay! (We will be celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary.)

I think it is so unfair for some to say that "it's the chance you take when you book during hurricane season". Hurricane season is from June to October/November. For those with school-aged children we have no other choice. So to insinuate that we should consider ourselves lucky b/c we get cheaper prices (which is not true when school's out) is just not correct. Our only opportunity to travel is during the summer, winter or spring break.

The Island will open tomorrow according to the DCL reservation person I just spoke to.. :) her name is Virgina!

Enjoy!

That is a shame! I really hope everything is PERFECT for you wedding!!!

The Island will open tomorrow according to the DCL reservation person I just spoke to.. :) her name is Virgina!

Enjoy!

Keep in mind that the plan has always to have the island open tomorrow, but it's the captains final call that matters. So if the work is done now, I believe it, if there is still more todo, cruisers should expect to not go. We will not know for sure if they are going until they Dock the Dream there tomorrow at 8am. pirate:

We are on your sailing. Wishing you a WONDERFUL wedding and much happiness. I will think positive thoughts and send good wishes for an open Castaway Cay! (We will be celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary.)

Thanks! If you see us, say hello.

That is a shame! I really hope everything is PERFECT for you wedding!!!

Thank you ~ I'm sure it will be lovely no matter what, its just a $1,000 gamble on a location makes me stress as he really really really wants to get married on the beach.

I'm hopeful everything will work out. Good luck to all the future cruisers.

I am not sure how to post links, hopefully it will work.

It sounds like they are working hard to get the island back to "normal" this week. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter