Castaway Cay evaluations, please....

wcw57

DIS Veteran
While I am looking forward to Castaway Cay (it looks beautiful!) I am wondering if the people who are most enthralled with it are land-locked.

That is, are those of us near oceans, beaches, shorelines jaded:snooty: to this kind of thing and are some of the raves based on the exceptional and unique experience of being on a beach? Any beach?

I am not trying to incite a riot from Castaway lovers....just looking for evaluations with a "novelty factor" weighed in.........:goodvibes

THANX!!!!!!!!!

I love Castaway Cay it is one of the reasons that Disney is my favorite cruise line. I do not live beachside here in Melbourne but I am 15 minutes to the beach.:cool2:

I'll jump in with my opinion. I live in Ottawa, Canada. We do have many beaches in our City, but none are ocean side. As well as some lovely lake beaches up in the Gatineau Mountains. I have been to beaches in Virginia, and Jamaica. Nothing in my experience beats Castaway Cay, mind you my Ocean Beach experiences are limited.
But still, Castaway Cay is an Island, that alone makes it close to the top. The fact that it's Disney, pushes it way up to the top in my book. The beauty of the island, the ocean and everything else there, to me, is just so Breath taking. Our first trip there, I regretted once I got home, not taking very many pictures. I was just so in AWE of everything, the camera was rarely on my mind! Now for our 2nd trip this fall, I plan on having NO regrets this time around.:love:

I LOVED CC too, although we were there in Feb and it was chilly, but am going back in Sept so I am hoping for better weather. Despite the chilliness I really enjoyed it. I didn't *do* anything, just relaxed on the beach and had a margarita. :)

HI, I've been to many beaches both in the US and Carribean and Europe. Castaway Cay is beautiful and the water color is gorgeous. I don't think you have the "scenery" maybe of mountains or cliffs in the distance that you may have in other locations, and the landscape is not as dramatic as maybe other places in the Carribean, but that being said, it is a very cool and fun place to be! Disney does it right...it has something for everyone.

We were there in Feb also and it was cold and not sunny but I mananged to occupy myself at the adult beach (low tide) by finding very cool things in the sandy bottom of the sea....starfish, hermit crabs, intresting fish...

My daughter had a blast at the kids club.

Can't wait to go back in December :)

Living in New York we have been to LI beaches and NJ beaches as well as tons of beaches in FL.....CC is in a totally different league as it is in the Bahamas so the water color is drastically different (from LI and NJ) but even compared to SOME other beaches in the Caribbean, I think it holds it own.

I am not saying it is the most beautiful beach in all the World, but the CC experience is one of the highlights of a DCL cruise.

We have been to CC 16 times (out of 17 cruises) and I would still get off the ship and enjoy the day on CC.

MJ

I grew up in GA, so I have been to and around beaches all of my life for family and friend vacations (Savannah, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Panama City, Daytona) and CC is a beautiful beach. As pp mentioned, the color of the water alone is worth it, but also there is something for everyone there. The fact that I'm a Pirates of the Carribean fan doesn't hurt either since the Flying Dutchman is there (we took tons of pics just of the Dutchman). It most assurededly has the "Disney" touch as well. I don't think you'll be dissappointed even being from "the beach".

I live near the beach and have all of my life. My biggest love of DCL is Castaway Cay because it's so gorgeous and absolutely perfect.

I grew up on the coast of New England and we currently have a house on the NC outer banks where we spend the summer. There is no comparison between either of those and the beaches in the Bahamas. As previous posters have said, the color of the water alone makes it a totally different beach experience than any of the east coast beaches I have visited. As much time as I have spent on the beach, I can't ever imagine not being awed by CC.

My DH grew up in the mid-west and now we live in Arizona. He is not a fan of Castaway Cay - he says its ok, but not enough to do and too crowded. He likes RCL's Cococay better.

I live in Southern California and work within walking distance from the beach and have an ocean view from my office. I love CC. The water is much clearer and warmer than it is here. We don't have any kids, so we lay around on the adult side of the beach and drink. We also schedule to get massages right before we go back to the ship.

It is not just that CC is a beautiful Bahamian beach. It is also the fact that it is the cruise line's private beach that makes it so special. You get Disney hospitality and a fabulous beach. It is a wonderful feeling to get of off the ship knowing you will not have to deal with the occasional unpleasant realities of regular ports. Cast members from the ship will be working in the dining areas, kid's areas and bars. It is so nice seeing the faces of the cast members you have befriended while on the ship. And while enjoying activities on the island, you will be running into your newly made shipboard friends. Sure it is a beautiful beach. It is also a private beach, and more importantly it is a Disney beach.

Can you tell that I love CC :goodvibes

we're near a lake (but i wouldn't swim in it) and 2-4 hours (depending on weekend traffic) to georgian bay (where i would swim) but i was indifferent about Castaway.

maybe it is that i don't like just sitting on a beach or maybe i just felt rushed (had to get off and get dd to kids club then get back on and go to brunch [podcast cruise] then get changed and get back off the ship then pick up dd and take her to the beach then back ship to let dd rest then dress for pirate night etc)

i'm not a huge beach person and might have had a nicer day staying on the ship

I'm originally from Los Angeles and I was living in LA when I went to Castaway Cay for the first time. My parents' home (where I lived when I went to high school) is 1 mile away from the beach and after high school, I lived near Santa Monica for 10 years.

So as a person who has lived most of their life near a beach and often went to the beach, I can tell you that I was still entralled with Castaway Cay.

It's not just about the gorgeous beach either. It's about the service on the entire island. There is no where you can go where the entire island has Disney-level service!! It's so clean. The staff is wonderful. It's safe! And it's gorgeous!!

I grew up in GA, so I have been to and around beaches all of my life for family and friend vacations (Savannah, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Panama City, Daytona) and CC is a beautiful beach. As pp mentioned, the color of the water alone is worth it, but also there is something for everyone there. The fact that I'm a Pirates of the Carribean fan doesn't hurt either since the Flying Dutchman is there (we took tons of pics just of the Dutchman). It most assurededly has the "Disney" touch as well. I don't think you'll be dissappointed even being from "the beach".

LOL....You wrote my post almost exactly word for word what I would have said!

I can assure you. It is a beautiful place. My kids love it, and they are jaded (ages 4, 4, AND 7). We have a summer home on the Atlantic Ocean, a 40 ft Boston Whaler, pool, hot tub, (you get the picture), and nothing thrills them more than the Disney ship and Castaway Cay. It is sooooo awesome!!!!

I am quickly scanning the board and have not read anything else but here is my take on it. I grew up in coastal VA near the beach. We have lived 30 minutes from the beach in eastern NC the past 15 years and have lived on the river with access to swim and play on the beach area for the past 2 years. We enjoy going to the beach here but that involves packing the cooler, beach towels, chairs, food, umbrella, toys, etc and finding a parking place then lugging everything to the beach and if a bathroom is needed, hiking back to the lot and the bathhouse.

At CC we get up, eat breakfast, change, walk off the ship with a bag of toys for the kids and our cameras, grab a couple towels, find a chair with an umbrella in place and sit and enjoy the day. Hungry? Walk on the other side of the foliage for food and/or drinks and fruit and the bathrooms are close by too. The best part? No undertow which means I am able to relax so much more than I can at the beach at home. When you are done, just toss the towels in the bins along the way, grab your bag and head back to the ship. :)

I grew up (and still live) on coastal CT, and I love the view of the shoreline. I'm not what you'd consider a beach person, but I love Serenity Bay (the adult beach on CC). I'm not as big a fan of the family beach. I think, for me, it has to do with the peace & quiet. I can drag a chair into the water's edge and read the day away. Nice people will bring me cocktails and tell me when I start turning red. Paradise! :goodvibes

I haven't been to CC yet but just looking at the pics I can say the beach near us which we've been to quite often OC, MD looks nowhere near as beautiful.

Ahhh. Memories of Castaway Cay.

Imagine a pristine white beach. You don't need to bring a beach chair or umbrella, because there are beautiful colorful umbrellas set up everywhere with lots of clean adjustable lounge chairs. There are also groups of hammocks. Towels are provided as you disembark the ship.

There is a tram car for those who prefer a ride or a walking path for those who want to walk.

Photographic scenes abound - beautiful flowers blooming, colorful umbrellas, the ship, the Flying Dutchman. You will come upon beloved Disney characters at Mt. Rushmore. Mood music can be heard if you take a minute to listen.

Personal comforts - Clean, convenient bathrooms and showers are available. Hungry - how about a big BBQ for lunch - thirsty there are bars and a beverage station. Ice cream - yep they've got it. Shopping, sure stop at She sells Sea Shells - with delivery of your purchases to your stateroom.

Activities - as many or as few as you want -

Serenity Bay a quiet haven for the adults - kids clubs for the little ones.

For me personally I appreciated all the thought and planning that went into this beautiful island resort and have been lucky enough to be a guest thereon two times for some of my favorite beach days ever.

As a Jersey Girl, one difference between a day at the beach on our shores and a day at Castaway Cay is NO WAVES. The snorkling lagoon and the family beach area are in a protected area so don't expect waves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter