• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway Cay docking question

Brandis

DIS Veteran
On which side do the DCL ships dock at Castaway Cay?

I thought that the ships always turn before backing up into the berthing channel at Castaway Cay, so that the ship faces out to sea and can leave faster at the end of the day on the island.

But I just found some pictures where the bridge faces the island. Does each captain dock as he likes or is there a rule on how to dock in certain conditions?

Just trying to figure out which side to book to have a view of the beaches when docked at Castaway Cay. Of course, if they can dock either way, it's just luck what we will see from the cabin balcony.

Marc

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe they typically back in, so starboard will face CC. But not always, it depends on if they have to do work or wash the port or starboard side.

On which side do the DCL ships dock at Castaway Cay?

I thought that the ships always turn before backing up into the berthing channel at Castaway Cay, so that the ship faces out to sea and can leave faster at the end of the day on the island.

But I just found some pictures where the bridge faces the island. Does each captain dock as he likes or is there a rule on how to dock in certain conditions?

Just trying to figure out which side to book to have a view of the beaches when docked at Castaway Cay. Of course, if they can dock either way, it's just luck what we will see from the cabin balcony.

Marc

They normally back in but unless you plan on spending the day in your cabin what difference does it make?

Wouldn't spend the whole day in the cabin of course, but planning to do a double dipper cruise and it would be nice to look out onto the island when waking up and stepping out on the balcony. I like to have some wake-up time sitting on the balcony with a tea and enjoying the scenery.

Wouldn't spend the whole day in the cabin of course, but planning to do a double dipper cruise and it would be nice to look out onto the island when waking up and stepping out on the balcony. I like to have some wake-up time sitting on the balcony with a tea and enjoying the scenery.

Gotcha. Tea away:thumbsup2

I ended up going back to the ship early to pack up our stuff (and the weather got really nasty when we were there) so it was kind of neat to look from our balcony at CC as the palm trees blew sideways... And earlier, when we docked, it was neat to watch from our balcony, the preparation by the crew before we were allowed to disembark. LOL It was our first cruise and I found docking at all the ports quite fascinating.

You are correct that most of the time the ship is backed in at Castaway. However, this is totally up to the captain. We've seen it both ways.

I suspect after the recent difficulties when they pulled in forward and then couldn't get out that backing in will be the norm.

Sometimes on a cruise I wake up around 2 or 3 in the morning, then I go up to the pool deck to get some tea and walk about the ship for a while until I get sleepy again. It's like having the ship all to myself, only some cleaning crew around.

It was our first cruise and I found docking at all the ports quite fascinating.

Even after 26 cruises (only 1 DCL cruise so far though) I still love to watch this. Or pulling in the tenders/lifeboats after stopping at a tender port.

I was told by someone at Disney that it all depends on the weather and water currents etc. I guess you just never know until you get there. :cutie:

We were on the Magic when she sailed on 2/6/2010 and the Captain pulled into CC bow first. We also got stuck there overnight because of the weather. :thumbsup2

On our first cruise on the Magic a few years back, they pulled in stern first.
What I am trying to say is that either way could happen. :confused3

I was up early on our cruise and was watching our approach to CC our on our verandah. My DS came out around 6:30 AM and I said, hf we back in, we will have a great view of CC. We were SO excited to suddently NOT see the Flying Dutchman for a bit as we were pulling around to back into the island.

No, we didn't sit on our verandah all day, but it was beautiful to watch our approach and I got some great photos of the island and the Dutchman as we were docking and approaching.

When we got back on the ship (around 3:30 as it got cold and windy) I also enjoyed watching the goings on of the island as we were getting ready to go.

We booked the same side of the ship for our November cruise, so hoping we back in again!

Backing in is most definitely the norm, although I think they used to normally pull in in the early days of DCL; our early Castaway Cay photos all show the ship pulled in. I imagine they learned that it's easier if the weather gets bad to be backed in so they can pull right out. You'll generally only see it pull in when there is work to be done on the ship and it needs to be in that position or for a special cruise (I think they do it for the DVC charter). It's possible they might pull in due to weather but not likely because risky weather also makes it much harder to back out...they don't want a repeat of what happened recently with the "trapped" Magic.

The majority of the time, the ships back in.Once a month or so, the ships HAVE to come in bow first for mandatory lifeboat inspections.This is the only way that the ship can launch her port side lifeboats.They try and schedule it with the weather patterns, but it doesnt always work out that way.That was the reason (port side boat inspections and work needed to be done to the stbd side) that the Magic was bow in (starboard side to the dock) when she got caught by an accelerating storm front, and got to spend the night.

In the early days yes, they came in bow in most of the time, but after 9/11 it was changed to stern in, UNLESS they need to be bow in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter