Castaway Cay Cancelled :(

I'd rather have a sea day than to dock and have to look at Nassau. I have been there 3 times and it never got any better. Mostly shorter and cheaper cruises go there. Can't get very far on 3 & 4 night cruises from Port Canaveral so of course they go to Nasty Nassau.

My sentiments exactly. Our plan was to treat our Nassau day as a "sea day", but since were stuck there for two days we felt obligated to venture out so the kids could walk on "foreign soil". Our walk through the gauntlet of aggressive sales made my husband super tense.

Luckily we got a beautiful warm day at Key West (but don't get me started on the Key West immigration situation...)

If DCL cancels the massage, they won't charge for it (or will credit back the charge if already done). This would be the case if the ship was unable to port. However, if the ship does make port, but cancels some excursions due to weather, or whatever, it's possible that not all excursions/activities will be canceled. If DCL doesn't cancel the massage, but you opt not to go (because of weather, or whatever), you will be charged.

A small clarification about cancelled DCL excursions. I had the experience of Castaway bookings being cancelled due to weather but it was such a changeable day that Disney 're-instated' some previously cancelled activities later in the day. However, one of the family had already gone on to other options and I was very pleased that producing the unused ticket got a 'no questions asked' refund.

Kudos to the Captain for getting us docked in both Castaway and Nassau in rough seas, kudos to Disney for doing their best to operate excursions as weather permitted and also understanding that passengers may not have chosen to wait out the erratic weather.

That makes it all the more distressing that an 'experienced' passenger chose to inform others that Disney would keep their excursion fees because they had a weather exclusion clause in the contracts.:rolleyes:

If excursions are cancelled, do you get your fee refunded?

Yes since all excursions on castaway are dcl run, you'll get the charges removed. We were on the fantasy that didn't dock two weeks ago at cc... Made two attempts before sailing for calmer waters.... We were actually in the process of docking when a storm hit, went from slightly overcast to complete downpour in a matter of minutes....

In addition to cancelling excursions we also got a letter that we would be getting a refund of $18 per person for the port fees at cc since we weren't able to dock.

Yes since all excursions on castaway are dcl run, you'll get the charges removed. We were on the fantasy that didn't dock two weeks ago at cc... Made two attempts before sailing for calmer waters.... We were actually in the process of docking when a storm hit, went from slightly overcast to complete downpour in a matter of minutes....

In addition to cancelling excursions we also got a letter that we would be getting a refund of $18 per person for the port fees at cc since we weren't able to dock.

We did not get a refund of any port fees, I guess because of the extra day at the Nasssau port they did not offer a refund.

ews for excursions in Freeport as well. Point blank, if the cruises to Nassau weren't selling so well, they would stop going there.

Actually they can't from my understanding. I have read on here that, as a part of their using the Bahamas as a Flag of Convenience, they are required to make so many port calls per year. I don't know if they could switch it to Freeport or not, or if Freeport would be an improvement.

Actually they can't from my understanding. I have read on here that, as a part of their using the Bahamas as a Flag of Convenience, they are required to make so many port calls per year. I don't know if they could switch it to Freeport or not, or if Freeport would be an improvement.

Freeport would not be an improvement! Back in the early days of DCL the 4 night cruises stopped in Freeport. There is NOTHING at the port itself to do. You cannot walk anywhere. You must do a shore excursion or take a taxi to get anywhere. So much negative feedback from guests about Freeport changed that day to the sea day that it is today.

I'm sure its me, but I have been to quite a few ports, including ports of call in Belize, Honduras, several in Mexico, several in Jamaica, once in Grand Cayman, several in VIs both Maarten/Martin and Thomas, and a few private islands and others. I've been to New York, I've been to several places in Europe. I still don't understand why Nassau is like the black sheep when compared to all these other ports or cities. All of them have great sides and really bad sides (and I'm from outside of Detroit.) Anyone who has been to Belize, Roatan, even the VIs, Mexico, basically all of them have people saying "let me braid your hair! Buy this, I'll put your name on it!" They all have shady areas and are all very depressed economically. Nassau isn't any different than any other port right next to the cruise ship... (have you ever seen the areas by our city airports? They aren't exactly what I would call 'charming'....) and like most places, you actually have to GO to the nice parts of city to see something.

The Bahamas have beautiful reefs to swim at, which is why I cruise to begin with, the water. We didn't spend much time in the city because our catamarans picked us right up before you left the dock and took us to beautiful clear reefs. Our friends walked to Junkanoo beach and played volleyball and had a good time, we cruised around the channel (where Beyonce and Tiger Woods have houses, huge mansions and yachts, but then again Nassau is just a nasty dump, so why would they buy real estate there, or why would huge Atlantis build a giant resort there....) and we saw tons of beautiful fish.

Just anyone explain to me what makes Nassau worse than Mexican ports like Costa Maya, Cozumel, or Jamaica (talk about pushy sales), or VIs or half of the ports all the ships go to. I just would like to know...?:confused3 I'm being honest here. I don't really see as any worse than Montego Bay or any of the others...? (Minus Hawaii and Private Islands, which are pretty secure. But I felt the same way in New York City as I did in Nassau's city, same way leaving concerts in Detroit, same way in European cities...?)

I did not say it was worse then other places, but to me its a dump.. Then again there are LOTS of areas around wdw that I would not stay at either so I stay on property. I made the point that just because the 4 night bahama cruises are selling it does not mean it is because people enjoy Nassau, we like them because the price is good and we like the 4 night option. We are from Florida so the 4 night is good for us... And we like the dream ship. We have been to Atlantis and it IS pretty but was not worth it to us and wont be doing again. Im sure they have pretty beaches and great water but if we dont feel safe and we find it dirty and gross we wont bother.

Just anyone explain to me what makes Nassau worse than Mexican ports like Costa Maya, Cozumel, or Jamaica (talk about pushy sales), or VIs or half of the ports all the ships go to.

I think you've hit a valid point here. I think people see these places differently depending on how well-traveled you are. I mentioned before how tense DH was as we walked through the port at Nassau. He was extremely uncomfortable since he is less used to aggressive sales tactics used outside of the US. I've dealt with this a little more, as I've traveled a lot more internationally for work. I was annoyed and unimpressed with the area, but I know it's no different than a place like Rome, where you will get a hard sell, but you just say a firm "no" and move on, and nobody takes it personally.

After seeing Nassau twice (once Disney, once on another cruise) we will never get off the boat again. Atlantis would be nice but not for those prices. There is nothing there for us. I wasn't uncomfortable and I didn't mind the pushy sales people. It's just so dirty.

I would be so bummed to miss CC! I hope you have a great CC day on your next cruise!

We heard this was the first time this had ever happened.

that's funny

Been a while since we did a DCL but way back when we did we had about a 50% success rate at getting into CC.

Being a fellow uniformed ship driver the Master not only invited me to the bridge for a CC departure but sat with DW and I in a lounge one evening for well over an hour after a missed CC day and we swapped ship driving stories . . .

I mentioned I was impressed how long he'd tried to get into CC - I'd heard the engines maneuvering and went on deck to watch and he tried WAY longer than I would. HOURS!!

(for the technical part: the channel into the pier is not long but VERY narrow. If the ship is made to crab sideways due to winds or current there is LITTLE extra room.

A ship will crab a little going forward but A LOT when backing. For this reason a ship that pulls in head first CAN get stuck at CC because it can not safely BACK out. This happened at least once in the early days and while it SOUND cool, the folks stuck on CC who missed flights home were NOT amused. So normally, and ESPECIALLY if there is ANY question about the weather the ship BACKS IN TO the pier. If they safely back in there is a HIGH probability they can power out.)

I discussed with the Master the impact of this decision and it was obvious 2 me it was NOT taken lightly. He KNEW that overall 'satisfaction' feedback on the cruise would go down as much as 50% and DCL takes those numbers SERIOUSLY . . . not to mention the one on one grief he'd hear from pass' as he walked about the ship . . .

It happens much more often in the winter . . . but trust me, they make EVERY reasonable effort to get in.

Why don't they have tugs to help?
a) no other business for the tugs
b) little room for a tug to operate

Why not expand the channel?
) how much more are YOU willing to pay for your cruise?

Why not tender?
a) not set up for it
b) offshore water not favorable for anchoring at CC
c) DCL was the first to offer 'walk ashore' private island (now copied by many) ... don't think they want to give that up even if they are no longer exclusive . .

dd sounds the Whistle on MAGIC leaving CC

This may be the greatest thing I've ever read on this website.

We heard this was the first time this had ever happened.

(for the technical part: the channel into the pier is not long but VERY narrow. If the ship is made to crab sideways due to winds or current there is LITTLE extra room.

A ship will crab a little going forward but A LOT when backing. For this reason a ship that pulls in head first CAN get stuck at CC because it can not safely BACK out. This happened at least once in the early days and while it SOUND cool, the folks stuck on CC who missed flights home were NOT amused. So normally, and ESPECIALLY if there is ANY question about the weather the ship BACKS IN TO the pier. If they safely back in there is a HIGH probability they can power out.)

I discussed with the Master the impact of this decision and it was obvious 2 me it was NOT taken lightly. He KNEW that overall 'satisfaction' feedback on the cruise would go down as much as 50% and DCL takes those numbers SERIOUSLY . . . not to mention the one on one grief he'd hear from pass' as he walked about the ship . . .

It happens much more often in the winter . . . but trust me, they make EVERY reasonable effort to get in.

Why don't they have tugs to help?
a) no other business for the tugs
b) little room for a tug to operate

Why not expand the channel?
) how much more are YOU willing to pay for your cruise?

Why not tender?
a) not set up for it
b) offshore water not favorable for anchoring at CC
c) DCL was the first to offer 'walk ashore' private island (now copied by many) ... don't think they want to give that up even if they are no longer exclusive . .

dd sounds the Whistle on MAGIC leaving CC

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing the information. I found your post and photo very interesting and, in the unfortunate event my cruise can't dock at CC, this will help me to take it in stride! Thanks again.

I think you've hit a valid point here. I think people see these places differently depending on how well-traveled you are. I mentioned before how tense DH was as we walked through the port at Nassau. He was extremely uncomfortable since he is less used to aggressive sales tactics used outside of the US. I've dealt with this a little more, as I've traveled a lot more internationally for work. I was annoyed and unimpressed with the area, but I know it's no different than a place like Rome, where you will get a hard sell, but you just say a firm "no" and move on, and nobody takes it personally.

Whereas it was my very well traveled husband, who has been to all sorts of places since taking his current position in 2009, who felt extremely uncomfortable just walking off the ship and out to the main street in Nassau. It was due to his feelings and my son's (who had never experienced anything like it at the time) that we went back to the ship instead of continuing on the brentjes website's walking tour.

Going to Nassau the second time, when we booked the chocolate factory tour through DCL, allowed us to sort of reset our view of the area. Seeing the governor's mansion while passing by, seeing the supposedly fancy Greycliff and hearing from the tour guide that JayZ and Beyonce used to visit before they had Blue Ivy, allowed us to see what *island 5-star* means. It's different than non-tropical places. Once we got our expectations reset, it was all good. (though DH and DS still feel somewhat differently than I do about that)

I am extremely well traveled and still do not care for Nassau. It's not the whole island because we have enjoyed Blue Lagoon and snorkeled in thie reefs many times. It is mainly their port area. It is awful. We know a lot of travelers in their 70's and 80's who just like to get of the ship for a bit and shop and eat. They can do that in Cozumel, Costa Maya, and St. Maarten. Costa Maya is one of my least favorite stops but at least you can shop and get a drink by the pool. I have small children and don't enjoy the area right around the port at Nassau. Just my opinion !!

I am extremely well traveled and still do not care for Nassau. It's not the whole island because we have enjoyed Blue Lagoon and snorkeled in thie reefs many times. It is mainly their port area. It is awful. We know a lot of travelers in their 70's and 80's who just like to get of the ship for a bit and shop and eat. They can do that in Cozumel, Costa Maya, and St. Maarten. Costa Maya is one of my least favorite stops but at least you can shop and get a drink by the pool. I have small children and don't enjoy the area right around the port at Nassau. Just my opinion !!

That is definitely true. The immediate port area can be shady, but it is not the whole island. Although I think the ship pier and fiesta building are attempts to make the port more appealing and somewhat secure (once you walk out of the fiesta building, it isn't the ship port anymore, but to get into the fiesta building -and you can still do some shopping in there- you have to have a shipcard) so I do think they are trying to improve it. Once you leave that building though, you are definitely on your own.

We got picked up at the end of the pier each time (before you even have to leave the cruise port, so still secure) and we got dropped off close to it on the way back. (Ran in and did some straw bag shopping- already knew what to expect there, and had pretty decent service 'on demand' as in "this is what I'm looking for," "i'll take you right to it, now you buy something from me" and as I had limited cash, it worked well for negotiating.) We also popped into the Tortuga cake shop which is close to port and very busy with tourists. Other than that, we don't do much outside of our excursions.

But as the previous posts have shown (with the fancy governor's house and chocolate factory, or with our beloved Blue Lagoon or catamarans), the more specific a plan you have for Nassau, the more enjoyable your port stop will be. Unfortunately, not every island can be like Castaway Cay... and as much as I LOVE it, it's like a park in the ocean...very Disney in a natural beautiful way, but the shirts are all made in China, and its like being in Disney, not like being in a new country? My bottom line for Nassau is, have a plan or a tour, or don't get off the ship. (Unless you are dying for rum cakes or Senor Frogs.) My original comments to OP were regarding their scrapping Nassau and putting all their 'beach' eggs into the CC basket, which for unforeseen and very aptly explained reasons (thanks Capt!) made for a disappointing tropical cruise... there are at least SOME things you can do on Nassau to make for a nice trip.

For those that have been to Nassau what is the best way to get to a water taxi to get to Atlantis? I really want to avoid all the pushy sales people as much as possible. CC is the day we are really looking forward to. I know it may be like being at Disney but it sill sounds like heaven to me!

Especially to folks who are doing 3 or 4 day cruises, I always tell them to get off in Nassau IN CASE you miss CC. You will have missed your only chance to get off the boat and go to the beach. For me, I take a very EASY taxi ride to Cabbage Beach (same beach as Atlantis) for about $10 and spend the day on a beautiful beach drinking pina coladas. Usually take sandwiches from Flo's in my backpack and have a picnic on the beach. Paradise Island is a 10 minute taxi ride, and world away, from the port area- it is beautiful. You cross the bridge and think you're in another country. Seriously, how many cities in the US would people have positive views of if they walked 2 or 3 blocks around their ports?

For the poster that asked about the water taxi, from what I've seen, I'd skip it and take a regular taxi. From what I've seen, the water taxi makes you wait until they have enough folks, and then drops you off in the middle of nowhere and you have a LONG walk to the beach. I usually laugh with the cab drivers as I see the folks walking along the road who took the water taxi.

Especially to folks who are doing 3 or 4 day cruises, I always tell them to get off in Nassau IN CASE you miss CC. You will have missed your only chance to get off the boat and go to the beach. For me, I take a very EASY taxi ride to Cabbage Beach (same beach as Atlantis) for about $10 and spend the day on a beautiful beach drinking pina coladas. Usually take sandwiches from Flo's in my backpack and have a picnic on the beach. Paradise Island is a 10 minute taxi ride, and world away, from the port area- it is beautiful. You cross the bridge and think you're in another country. Seriously, how many cities in the US would people have positive views of if they walked 2 or 3 blocks around their ports?

For the poster that asked about the water taxi, from what I've seen, I'd skip it and take a regular taxi. From what I've seen, the water taxi makes you wait until they have enough folks, and then drops you off in the middle of nowhere and you have a LONG walk to the beach. I usually laugh with the cab drivers as I see the folks walking along the road who took the water taxi.

I'd be cautious about doing this. Many ports have strict "no food off the ship" policy, except for pre-packaged snacks (granola bars, individual cereals).

I'd be cautious about doing this. Many ports have strict "no food off the ship" policy, except for pre-packaged snacks (granola bars, individual cereals).

"Danger" is my middle name! ;) Thus, I get off the ship in Nassau! ;) Honestly, don't think I've ever had my bag checked getting OFF the ship and if they did, I'd probably just need to throw it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter