• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Castaway Cay 5km Run

redheadtove

Mouseketeer
I have a few questions about the 5km Castaway Cay run...
1) Do they still offer the run?
2) How do you sign up for it?
3) I'm travelling alone with my 2 DD's who are 12 and 8, can I leave them in the Edge and Lab while I do the run?

I'm just trying to see if I'm able to do it or not... If I can't...that is alright, I will survive... I just would like to have a plan in action either way.:tinker::ccat::donald::tigger::mickeyjum

Yes, we did this on our August 2 - 7 Double Dip. The course is all paved, flat, and HOT! Several water stations along the way.

Meet at the Bicycle Rentals at the Pelican Point Tram Stop by 9 am. They hand out bib numbers and pins. Race starts at 9:15, at a sign by the bike rentals. Course is out and back and finishes at the same spot. CM will be there for about an hour to call out times.

I would imagine that as long as the Edge and Lab are open, you could drop them off.

Even better, they now have permanent signage along the 5K trail so you can really run it at any time during your day at CC

Even better, they now have permanent signage along the 5K trail so you can really run it at any time during your day at CC

Really?? That is good to know... I may have to do the run that way since I travel alone with 2 kids. I just didn't want to leave them on the ship at 9am while I run, it would not be fair to them. Thanks for that info!!!:goodvibes:dance3:

Thanks for letting us know they have permanent signs! I've always wanted to do it, but I could never get there early enough for the organized run and I was worried about getting "lost" on CC! :)

If you do it by yourself, remember that it is two loops around the observation tower.

It is really tempting to skip the second loop on the way back . . . :rolleyes1

My goal is to do this as my FIRST 5K next May. Do they let some people walk it while others are running/jogging? I will be jogging but my DH and DD's may want to walk it.

You can go at whatever pace you choose. My DS (age 12 at the time) and I did it in August '09, and he got pretty overheated so we walked the last third of it or so. By the time we were done, the Dis CM wasn't at the finish anymore so we just went to guest services later on the ship and asked them to print out our finisher's certificates. (And I subsequently spilled water on my son's, so I had to ask them to print him another one - which they did and were very courteous about doing.)

It's all for good fun, and only as competitive as you would like it to be. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

I can't wait to do the 5k! I'll be about a week and a half off a half marathon, so I'll be ready for it!

The edge and lab are not open on the ship during the CC day. They are open on the island, I just don't know if they are open in time for you to begin the 5KM (as I think it is first thing). You could always as a CM at the Edge or lab if there is something they can do as you are a single parent. Perhaps they can walk them to the respective clubs or something else.

Thank to everyone for this. I want to do the course but am completely too out of shape to run. When I was in high school and college I ran, but have since had 4 children and let myself go. I am in the process of reclaiming my youth! I was afraid everyone would be "who's the fat woman walking on the course?" Now I know I can do it AFTER the organized event and no one will notice :-) Well hopefully.

The edge and lab are not open on the ship during the CC day. They are open on the island, I just don't know if they are open in time for you to begin the 5KM (as I think it is first thing). You could always as a CM at the Edge or lab if there is something they can do as you are a single parent. Perhaps they can walk them to the respective clubs or something else.
That is another good idea... I may do that... Thanks for the idea!!! :)

Thank to everyone for this. I want to do the course but am completely too out of shape to run. When I was in high school and college I ran, but have since had 4 children and let myself go. I am in the process of reclaiming my youth! I was afraid everyone would be "who's the fat woman walking on the course?" Now I know I can do it AFTER the organized event and no one will notice :-) Well hopefully.
I'm sure no one is going to say that.... I've always wanted to be a runner, I've just started a couch to 5km program with a goal to run in the WDW Princess Marathon in 2013... I have always heard about the Castaway Cay 5km and I decided that this trip I WILL do it..Even if it takes me all day.. I WILL DO IT!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice... I love it!!!:cheer2::yay:

Looking at a recent schedule of events at Castaway Cay it seems Scuttles Cove opens at 9 AM. Not sure about the logistics but you may be able to bring the kids to the childrens activities on the island and then scoot to the 5K for the 9:15 start.

My goal is to do this as my FIRST 5K next May. Do they let some people walk it while others are running/jogging? I will be jogging but my DH and DD's may want to walk it.

The CM is only there for about 45 minutes after the run starts, so if you come in after that, they won't be calling out your time. But you can take as long as you want to finish.

You can go at whatever pace you choose. My DS (age 12 at the time) and I did it in August '09, and he got pretty overheated so we walked the last third of it or so. By the time we were done, the Dis CM wasn't at the finish anymore so we just went to guest services later on the ship and asked them to print out our finisher's certificates. (And I subsequently spilled water on my son's, so I had to ask them to print him another one - which they did and were very courteous about doing.)

It's all for good fun, and only as competitive as you would like it to be. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

Sadly, no more certificates. No water bottles, either.

Only a sweaty bib number and some safety pins.

The CM is only there for about 45 minutes after the run starts, so if you come in after that, they won't be calling out your time. But you can take as long as you want to finish.

Sadly, no more certificates. No water bottles, either.

Only a sweaty bib number and some safety pins.

No Certificate...That sucks.:sad2:.. I actually want the certificate.. Oh well... Thanks for the heads up.

I wanted to do the 5K run on our last cruise, but when I heard it wasn't being organized until 9am (which makes sense, since that's when they start letting people get off the ship), I decided to pass. I'm a wimp about the heat!

If you're planning on giving it a go, don't worry about needing to walk part of the way. It took me a long time to build up a running endurance. Just go for it, get some exercise to burn off all of that cruise food (oh yummy food!) and have fun! :)

Is there some place on the island to shower off and change or is it assumed you are to go back to the ship to get ready for the day. DH plans to do this and I find this a perfect time to shop with the kids and send post cards. So no real need to go back to the ship since the whole family will already be off.

Really?? You do not get anything for completing? I thought for sure you would get some sort of Disneyfied medal or something...

Apparently, they gave out stuff in the past - certificates, water bottle, etc.

But there was nothing on the August 2 to 7 cruise, because we did it then and only got the race number as a souvenir!

I ran the CC 5K in March 2011. The CM who lead the CC5K didn't pass out CC finisher 5K certificates or water bottles to all of the finishers after we completed the run. BUT... Prior to the start of the 5K the CM had all of us sign in & list our state room numbers. After spending a blissful day on CC when I returned to my state room a CC5K certificate and water bottle were waiting for me. I was so excited a little DC magic as I didn't expect anything after reading several posts on the DC forum.

On a side note I made a running pit stop on the 5K run to have my picture taken w/Pluto in my running garb. I love this picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter